my 308 build, low-tech, highly functional

Just wanted to quickly document my S-308 build, show it off a little!

I did all the work myself, some filing, cutting, drilling, and welding.

So, from front to rear:

removed front sight block, threaded barrel, added YHM phantom C2 flash/brake

cut up front sight block, reattached a portion and re-pinned as a backstop to the C2

welded front sight to the gas block (have been MIG-ing for a few years, but just bought a TIG and this was my second real usage, and the weld itself turned out good if i don't say so!) i just eye-balled it up there, and it's close to the edge of the adjustment range after zero-ing, but i'm good with it as zero-ed

modified stock forearm,dremel'ed some vents, and filed/dremel'ed to attach angled fore grip directly to plastic (much more sturdy than screwing on a rail, then attaching foregrip to that)

removed gas tube heat shield

removed side-saddle scope mount (that thing was heavy!!! i should weigh it, my guess was 1/4lb)

dinzag G2 trigger group (very nice trigger, my buddy who was out with me shooting his new M1A felt my trigger had better feel than his...)

molot grip

tech-sights AK rear sight (this caused me to do some head-scratching...i ended up welding on the dangly spacer as there was no relatively easy way to mechanically attach it, in hindsight and after some internet "chin-scratching" one of the thicker (buffertech IMO) buffers would probably have achieved the same end result without permanent modification to the new $100 sight, which is preventing the bolt from going so far rearward that it dislodges. as far as the sight itself, it has turned this 308 into a deadly-accurate iron-sighted semi. i tried the leaf, was able to shoot it about as OK as my marlin 30-30 w/ leaf sight, tried a mojo ghost ring and my accuracy decreased, but the tech rear all i can say is WOW. after zeroing it @50yds with one 20rd mag, i shot three 20rd mags worth of ~2-3" three-shot groups at 100yds, then moved on to the 200yd range and put about half the rounds of the two 20rd magazines on a 12x12 target, and all the rest at least hit the 24x36 cardboard the target was pasted to....haha, much to the surprise of a couple of the 'serious' shooters out that day....you know the guys that have two giant milspec containers full of shite, a spotter, and a chronograph too....not that there's anything wrong with that..i digress

CAA aluminum tube, w/MOE stock (ended up putting a 1/4 riser too) (next build i think i may save the extra coin and just get the cheaper polymer...not that there's anyhting wrong with the aluminum, i just feel it was really only worth about 1/2-2/3 retail

anyways, that's my saiga. i really like it and i guess that's what matters most. HAHA, all told i probably could have spent another couple hundred and got an AR10-type 308, but it wouldn't have been as fun to build!

post-32552-0-21902000-1308056951_thumb.jpg

Edited by onespeedpaul
  • Like 5

That's a great build. I love the idea of the tech sights, but worry about changing the platform. Have there been any cycling issues?

not sure what platform you are talking about? the sight just replaces the dust cover "button", meaning also: the part that dovetails into the rear trunion and guides the spring.

and, no cycling issues, don't see how it could cause any it's just a beefed up dust cover "button", everything works exactly the same as before, just the dust cover is different.

the dust cover itself is a little more of a pain to remove now, but it's really not that hard to do once you have it in your hands and see how it works. it's still very field serviceable.

besides, all the other options also increase the dust cover difficulty (TWS).

Oh my god dude, I absolutely love what you did with that front sight! That's exactly the style I was wrapping my head around trying to obtain!

I had wondered about doing exactly what you did but I wasn't sure it'd work, now that I know, you have me thinking hard into doing this.

I'm just a little concerned about how to make sure I obtain enough adjustable height. Maybe if you have some calipers out some time, you could measure from the top of the sight (the inside of it that the pin protrudes from) down to where you cut it off on the front leg. That would be enough to give me an idea.

Edited by Tombs

Oh my god dude, I absolutely love what you did with that front sight! That's exactly the style I was wrapping my head around trying to obtain!

I had wondered about doing exactly what you did but I wasn't sure it'd work, now that I know, you have me thinking hard into doing this.

I'm just a little concerned about how to make sure I obtain enough adjustable height. Maybe if you have some calipers out some time, you could measure from the top of the sight (the inside of it that the pin protrudes from) down to where you cut it off on the front leg. That would be enough to give me an idea.

i got to this point in a roundabout way, at first i had removed the FSB and threaded the barrel and remounted it further rearward like most people do and only later decided this is the way i really wanted it. SO if i could do it all over again, i would have cut the lower tubular portion of the FSB in two at the forward-most mount pin (leaving the entire round portion under the front sight pin with material to cut away from when reattaching it on the gas block) , and reused the rearward portion (with pin hole still intact, probably flipped around) as the C2 backstop at the original rearward barrel notch.

i cut the part off the FSB that i re-welded while still attached to the barrel (made the cut just high enough off the barrel so it after some grinding and sanding what was left could be round) and i pretty much just eyeballed it when reattaching it. i'm not at the top of the adjustment range, but it was a tad windage crooked (not visibly so) but enough that the windage is too close that i would be pissed if i had not done it myself.

Does the tech sights wobble at all in the dove tail? Your gun is pretty sweet. I like the gas block as well.

no wobble on mine. and sure it probably varies from rifle to rifle, but a little set screw is included to take up any if needed.

Edited by onespeedpaul
  • 7 months later...