saiga 7.62x39 with a 20in barrel ?

~4" of barrel is a significant difference in length, handling, and weight. Some calibers benefit greatly from a barrel >16", (e.g. 5.56x45, 7.62x51), but the 7.62x39 ain't one of em. In fact, the 7.62x39 is remarkable in how well it works with shorter barrels, (12.5" or even 8.5").

If you'd like a Kalashnikov rifle with a long barrel; buy one in .308 so the extra length actually makes an appreciable difference. ;)

• Like 3

~4" of barrel is a significant difference in length, handling, and weight. Some calibers benefit greatly from a barrel >16", (e.g. 5.56x45, 7.62x51), but the 7.62x39 ain't one of em. In fact, the 7.62x39 is remarkable in how well it works with shorter barrels, (12.5" or even 8.5").

If you'd like a Kalashnikov rifle with a long barrel; buy one in .308 so the extra length actually makes an appreciable difference. ;)

Wow! That is the most "Diplomatic" opinion you have ever voiced on the long barrel 7.62x39!! What restraint!! Tell him how you REALLY feel about them!!

They are a waste of barrel. Not needed, no better, not as attractive, too long, shall I continue?

But, if you are just plinking with it and it is significantly cheaper, you might consider one.

Wow! That is the most "Diplomatic" opinion you have ever voiced on the long barrel 7.62x39!! What restraint!! Tell him how you REALLY feel about them!!...

Why Rob, what ever do you mean? :angel:

I bought my Saiga to be scoped and used in hunting as well as paper punching, I felt that with scope the long barrel looks more "appropriate" even if it doesn't add accuracy.

in the future I will either pick up 16 inch barrel or go with AR platform for a tactical carbine

IMG_1520-vi.jpg

• Like 1

Here's a corresponding thread,

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/67611-762x39-velocity-from-various-barrel-lengths/

Note

A standard AK w/16" barral rates at 2346fps.

A SKS with 20" barrel rates at 2410fps.

A RPK with 23" barrel rates at 2444fps.

Likely the only real advatage towards accuracy, would be the longer sight radius.

When i bought my Saiga, I was looking for the 20" barrel, all i could find localy were the 16", so I bought it. I just assumed the longer barrel would provide better accuracy. Made sense to me anyhow. After talking to the gun shop I purchased my Saiga at, they said they would be happy to order one and could have it in two weeks or so, they explained the differance would be minimal if any. Then after reading here and a few other places, I am glad I got the 16".

Ya the big reason I got the the RPK rather than Saiga w/20". I figured it's the only way to get the max benifit from a long barrel. It's got a heavy, chrome lined, 23" barrel, which makes shooting a joy. Very little jump and since I plan to eventually bullpup it, length is only a problem till the final build. But with the folding stock, hip shooting is a blast :super: