Buffer tube questions...

So I'm planning to replace the Ironwood furniture on my new (to me) S-308...

I'd like to use a Magpul CTR stock, but I'm not sure what buffer tube to go with. The VLTOR tube has gotten a lot of praise from most sources I've read, but I've seen pictures of it mounted and it seemed like it left the stock at a slight upward angle. I've heard that the latest CAA aluminum tubes are improved over the older models and have more sling mounts, and also that the angle off the receiver is correct, unlike the VLTOR. The downside is that the CAA only comes in commercial size, and not mil-spec like the VLTOR.

Then there's the Enidine buffer. Please forgive my terrible AR-ignorance, but can you use the Enidine product with either of the above tubes?

Thanks for your help in more clearly defining my options here. :)

Edited by post-apocalyptic

The buffer tubes you mentioned are not actually buffer tubes insomuch as they don't contain either a buffer or a buffer spring. They're just hollow, aluminum receiver extensions that allow the use of a collapsible AR stock. The tube can be used for storage, but it has no mechanical function for the firearm.

I have a CAA tube on my .223 and I like it. There's a slight gap between the rear of the receiver and the endplate integral to the tube, but ergonomically it works fine.

The buffer tubes you mentioned are not actually buffer tubes insomuch as they don't contain either a buffer or a buffer spring. They're just hollow, aluminum receiver extensions that allow the use of a collapsible AR stock. The tube can be used for storage, but it has no mechanical function for the firearm.

Alright. That's what I thought but I wanted to confirm it. So to use one of those Enidine stocks you'd have to cut the tang, install a receiver block and a pignose adapter etc?

I have a CAA tube on my .223 and I like it. There's a slight gap between the rear of the receiver and the endplate integral to the tube, but ergonomically it works fine.

Cool. I don't really care about that gap so long as the tube doesn't give the stock that slight upward angle, as the VLTOR tubes seem to. I've also read that the CAA tubes install more solidly in the receiver than the VLTORs do...http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=325&t=205401...

Alright. That's what I thought but I wanted to confirm it. So to use one of those Endine buffers you'd have to cut the tang, install a receiver block and a pignose adapter, then a standard buffer tube etc?

Cool. I don't really care about that gap so long as the tube doesn't give the stock that slight upward angle, as the VLTOR tubes seem to. I've also read that the CAA tubes install more solidly in the receiver than the VLTORs do...http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=325&t=205401...

PA,

The Enidine tube is worth considering for your .308 build. I also like the CAA tube, and since the Magpul stock you are considering is actually the 922r compliance part for the assembly - there is no issue with 922r compliance associated with the Israeli made tube.

Best regards,

Mike

I've also considered going with an AR style stock setup on an AK before, my only concern is adding weight.

Can anyone who has said setup chime in on what the combined weight of a magpul ctr/moe stock and vltor/CAA tube adds up to be?

My aluminum CAA tube and Magpul MOE stock with 1/2" buttpad is 17oz.

Alright. That's what I thought but I wanted to confirm it. So to use one of those Enidine buffers you'd have to cut the tang, install a receiver block and a pignose adapter, then a standard buffer tube etc?

You're speaking of this Enidine Shot Stock:

earss2.jpg

And not the Enidine buffer:

earr2.jpg

Correct? If so, a pignose adapter should be right for it.

Edited by DrThunder88
  • Like 1

I don't think the Ace AKRBU-PN block needs the tang cut off.

DrThunder88, thank you! :up:

I didn't know this part existed. This will allow me to use the Enidine shot stock without going through the whole hassle of an internal block.

I'll give it some thought this afternoon, but that very well may be what I decide to go with.

• 2 weeks later...

P-A, you will not regret buying the Vltor over the CAA. Having owned both, I can tell you that the Vltor is completely parallel with the bore, unlike the CAA which actually has a slight downward slant (I believe the angle of the receiver bottom,relative to the bore axis, creates an optical illusion).

• Like 1

P-A, you will not regret buying the Vltor over the CAA. Having owned both, I can tell you that the Vltor is completely parallel with the bore, unlike the CAA which actually has a slight downward slant (I believe the angle of the receiver bottom,relative to the bore axis, creates an optical illusion).

Thanks, but I ended up buying a ACE AKRBU-PN to mount an Enidine Shot Stock with a Magpul CTR. ;) I'm waiting on the Enidine, as it's on backorder.

No problem, man. I figured I would pass along the info, as I had a heck of a time finding said info while I was stock shopping. I'm interested to find out how your new setup works out.

I do appreciate that, man. :up: As for my upcoming setup, (replacing the Ironwood), I'll definitely post pics and/or video. I'm planning on letting the Enidine handle recoil, so I can use a dedicated flash hider, (instead of a compensator), on this rifle. I think it'll work out well. We'll see.

Get the FAB defense stock and tube if you have enough other US made parts. It works for me - you get a recoil reducing tube and stock for about $100. What are your plans for the Ironwood furniture? I put some on my S-20 and I don't think I will ever have a tacticool HG ever again. It is sharp! I "fit" a 74 HG...

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, but I ended up buying a ACE AKRBU-PN to mount an Enidine Shot Stock with a Magpul CTR. ;) I'm waiting on the Enidine, as it's on backorder.

I think you will be happy with the Enidine. I was looking for a way to reduce recoil on my s12 due to it being a defensive HD gun that my wife may have to use. I didn't want to add any type of "compensator" because I am not a fan of gases being vented anyway other than straight out the front due to the extra loudness from comps. Plus I don't even know if they make any good performing comps for shotties.

The Enidine definatley does its job at recoil reduction very very well. The advertising says a 70% reduction in recoil. I dont know what the numbers are in percentaged but it sure feels like it reduces recoil by half or more.

It was worth the wait & extra expense. You will like em.