All these 1911 post got to me.

Seems like everyday there's a new post on 1911s, it's got next to me. I've got and had several 1911s over the years. There were some I wish I'd kept and some I was glad to let go but I never got one that's been on my to-do list a long slide. Closest I came was an early Springfield Factory Comp gun, 5" slide, a little longer threaded barrel, and a 2 chamber comp. Nice gun but it's a single stack 45acp, comp puts you in open with a lower mag capacity even with the 170mm mags than most of the other open shooters.

Now I'm looking at buying or building a long slide. There are some good factory ones and I've had some good luck on my builds in the past on government size single stack guns so the questions I have to figure out are:

40 or 45 cal, (not going to a 38 super)

Wide body or single stack,

Iron sights or a dot,

and what's the most cost effective way to get the gun? :dollar:

I'm thinking about moving more into a single caliber instead of having several to reload for and the 40 lends itself to this the best to some degree. Wide range of bullet weights for the 40. (S&Ws 10mm revolvers will take 40s too.) I like my Glock 24 long slide so I have a hi-cap in 40 already.

Years ago I milled one of my 1911s to use S&W revolver sights, always liked that look but was a pain to do. (none of the photos are my guns) My eye sights not getting better with age so a red dot might be better but then you're back into open class.

Well guess we'll see if this all turns into a pipe dream or a dream gun.

On the other hand I had a Colt Combat Commander I liked too. :angel:

Any inputs on your 1911 dreams?

post-26137-0-86244200-1308236836_thumb.jpg

post-26137-0-33112700-1308236860_thumb.jpg

post-26137-0-66820900-1308236919_thumb.jpg

post-26137-0-10113100-1308246067_thumb.jpg

Edited by 20-Mags
  • Like 1

Tony a lot of what I'm out to get is really just more sight radius while I could shop around and find an old extended Bomar rail for shooting they're not very useful with a holster.

Seems like you want the power to be had from a longer barrel and a real stopping something and backing it up 4 paces round. While that makes since I just want to hit the paper or the plate (sometimes the beer can) a little better.

Just got a reply the gun I was looking at is sold so back to the drawing board.

post-26137-0-29027000-1308325341_thumb.jpg

post-26137-0-10871300-1308325366_thumb.jpg

Edited by 20-Mags
  • 2 weeks later...

I used to be real big into that stuff, but I realized finally that, realistically, it is little more practical than Bullseye shooting, The ranges are too long, the rigs and guns are completely impractical, too many targets are used per stage, all sorts of silly stuff, to waste your time and money on. If you really needed to do this sort of thing in real life, you'd better have rifle rated armor, an Mk4, grenades, smoke grenades, tear gas, lots of friends, etc, or you are going to get killed, simple as that.

sounds like you missed the FUN Factor of it. it's not practice for war it's just a Game. you shoot with friends have some laughs when someone including yourself shoots like shit and give or get a kind word when someone has a good run on a stage. IMHO it's more interesting than just rolling a beer can with a 22 across the yard. most of the stages have more targets just to get the round count up, you can always shoot speed steel to just draw and shoot 5 shots, but that's just another game. as far as the equipment it's the users choice to go with basic / safe equipment or go hog wild and spend what they want.

• Like 1

it's playing a shooting sport / game, not hide and seek or hardcore training. if you want to do more than stuff that's for shits and grins join the military or become a LEO. also note in baseball you're not allowed to beat the other players to death with the bat, shooting sports aren't for everyone and most of us know life's not like the movies. (try a few comedies for a change of pace)

while some of the things are real world skills (faster more accurate shooting) most is just done to make it fun. a real world match would be:

•  
  • fire one or two shots
  • at a poorly lit target
  • at about 3 yards,
  • spend 3 to 6 hours being questioned about it,
  • and get your gun back in 3 to 6 months.

somehow that's just not as popular as blaze away at paper and steel (that don't shoot back), laugh and kid other shooters, go home and have a beer, go figure.

I'm totally sure you're a real world hard ass (or a 14 year old shooting way too much airsoft) but some just enjoy a simple less threatened life with less blood and guts, strange as that might sound.

Edited by going12220