Cleaning corrosion out of gas block

I've got a small amount of corrosion in my gas block where the gas port is. I've tried soaking it in CLP and then wiping it out with a rag and it's not doing it. It looks like it would be pretty tough to get anything in that small area as well. Is there a better cleaner/solvent I should try that would help dissolve the corrosion? Thanks

What I do is clean my rifle thoroughly after every time I use it. That entails barrel, bolt, gas piston/tube, and gas block. The gas block is by far the hardest thing to clean on the rifle, but not impossible. I use a Hopp's 9 soaked pad and leave it in the gas block for 30 minutes or so and spin it all along the walls. I'll repeat this until I see chrome on most of the gas block. If that doesn't break it, then you can scrape the carbon build up off with the flat head (cleaning) tool and swab with hopp's afterwards. Talk about anal... lolz

Edited by WhoDat504

I use one standard issue toothbrush and a can of Ballistol. Never any problems. But, if its tough to get off you could also use a .45 cal or shotgun bore brush.

+1. i use clp but never had any issues using it. clp will work good cleaning your weapon after using corrosive ammo, as ive never had an issue with it neutralizing the corrosive left overs but if its already corroded, im not sure how good it would be.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have found the fastest and easiest way is with my sand blaster, 2-5 seconds and it looks like brand new, I do the same with my muzzle brake. After Firing 600-900 rounds in an afternoon, that carbon is really caked on in those areas. I could never really get either as clean no matter what kind of hoppes, borekleenz ritual I had done so many times before. So now I come home, dissassemble, sand blast brake and gas block, wire wheel the piston, place in a bucket of hot soapy water, scrub down, rinse then dry with air hose.

(Waives his pistol in the air) AHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, AHHH hahahahaha!!!

• 4 weeks later...