Finally finished my 8-inch S12 SBS

Wow, that 7 bore is bad ass. Was that from a kit or what ? Very nice looking work.

I'm thinkin you did'nt have to get a tax stamp for that one, eh ?

By scratch built I meant scratch built. I started with a solid piece of 12L14 steel bar stock and through bored it on the lathe to 875 caliber. Then I turned and threaded the breech plug 1" x 12 tpi. I made the stock from a cheap maple board. The only parts I bought were the lock, butplate and trigger guard castings and ram rod pipe.

There is not a Federal restriction on barrel length or bore diameter for blackpowder as long as it does not fire fixed ammunition. It isn't even considered a firearm. Check your state laws prior to building something like this as laws vary by state. I plan to build a 12-inch barreled 12 guage muzzleloading double somedaywhen I run out of projects...like that will happen.

---Catter

What is your profession that gave you the know-how to perform these tasks? Just curious who has in the real world has the built in skills to do this type of thing.

A machinist. Compared to some of the pieces that I used to machine for lasers, this is a simple operation.

When I buy a lathe, I will build a shorty.

Edited by evlblkwpnz
  • 1 month later...