NFA QUESTION

I'm new to NFA and I want to start out with an SBR. My question is do I open a trust? Open an LLC or just get the Sheriff to sign off. Which would be the best way to go?

Thanks.

I applied as an individual. Local LEO here is very friendly in regards to signing the paperwork. It's also the cheapest route, as forming a trust is pretty expensive. Try LEO and if they won't sign, reprint the forms and start over. You won't be out any money.

I just got into the gun game about a year or two ago and was relatively new to NFA firearms. I just did the individual. Pretty easy. Fill out two form 1s. Get your passport photo. Have your Cleo sign off, fill out your compliance form, and send to the BATFE w/$200 mo. Then wait 3-4 months.

It depends. Are you married or have someone in your life who you would want to have access to the gun without you being there? In that case you MUST do it as a trust or corp, otherwise you and the person with the gun can go to jail.

The main other thing it does is reduce the hassle of doing extra paperwork to a one-time deal. I know the previous sheriff would sign NFA paperwork, but the temporary one didn't and the newly elected one still doesn't have any mention on his web site (unlike the previous elected sheriff). If I want to get the paperwork approved I can go to the PD (I'm told it's a 6 week wait) or the the NM state police, which is an hour+ drive each way during work hours and multiple week delay. So I paid $600 for a lawyer to do the trust, it took less than a week plus a week for a trust checking account.

I'm told that typically a trust makes the F1 or F4 turn around faster, I couldn't tell based how long it took me for my suppressor. We'll see how long the F4 for my S-17 takes.

I just got into the gun game about a year or two ago and was relatively new to NFA firearms. I just did the individual. Pretty easy. Fill out two form 1s. Get your passport photo. Have your Cleo sign off, fill out your compliance form, and send to the BATFE w/$200 mo. Then wait 3-4 months.

Pretty much what I've done in the past, no problems.

Pretty much what I've done in the past, no problems.

I personally don't want anyone else to handle my NFAs without me present, so an individual works well for me. And like you said, no problems.

Since I am an estate planning attorney I went the trust route. There as several benefits over doing it as an individual like multiple trustees. And since it works as an estate planning device there are no worries as to who can possess my items if something happens to me especially as I'm not the healthiest person out there.

Edited by TO THE FLOOR
  • 4 weeks later...

I went the CLEO sign off. I ain't leaving nothing to nobody when I die, I'm geting buried in my BUICK, with my favorite radio station on, the AC on full blast, if it's summer, and all my gun in it. who says you can't take it with you? :D

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A trust simply allows others to possess your firearm without you being present, eliminates the need for CLEO sign-off and bypasses the individual background check (some say this makes the process quicker by eliminating the BG check). I really saw no personal benefit of going the trust route. As others have said, I don't plan on allowing anyone to take possession of my firearms without me being present.

Edited by KC913

So just to confirm.... The trust is really only needed if you can't get your CLEO to sign the forms? A trust doesn't get you out of any of the paperwork or $200 per versus doing it as an individual.

You don't need the CLEO signoff or the fingerprints with a trust. Other then that it' the same. Dealers etc get to avoid the per weapon payments, but the the ATF really expects you to be selling guns, not just buying guns. The don't like collectors pretending to be dealers etc.

IMO a trust provides something else not noted above ....Confidentialty.

Even if your sheriff signs for you, everyone else in his/her office may not be friendly towards the idea of "common" citizens possession, may not practice complete confidentiality 24/7, and/or could potentially result in a known target for bad guys.

Also, just as media outlets currently target local CCW lists for publication, whats to keep the lists of NFA owners from being outed by media or political opponents runnign aginst the incumbent?

Just some personel thoughts/opinions on why I like trusts.

Cheers,

harv

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

It depends. Are you married or have someone in your life who you would want to have access to the gun without you being there? In that case you MUST do it as a trust or corp, otherwise you and the person with the gun can go to jail.

The main other thing it does is reduce the hassle of doing extra paperwork to a one-time deal. I know the previous sheriff would sign NFA paperwork, but the temporary one didn't and the newly elected one still doesn't have any mention on his web site (unlike the previous elected sheriff). If I want to get the paperwork approved I can go to the PD (I'm told it's a 6 week wait) or the the NM state police, which is an hour+ drive each way during work hours and multiple week delay. So I paid $600 for a lawyer to do the trust, it took less than a week plus a week for a trust checking account.

I'm told that typically a trust makes the F1 or F4 turn around faster, I couldn't tell based how long it took me for my suppressor. We'll see how long the F4 for my S-17 takes.

A trust is also an estate planning device if something happens to you. knock on wood it doesn't