Not sure if this has been discussed or not. The time I was most scared was when I was on my way to work one day. I had just passed a coworker turning on to 42. I smiled and waved. By the time I got to the bottom of the hill, I had pulled over and signaled her to pull over too. My ex (not at the time) had just called and told me my 2 oldest boys had rolled their truck on the way to work. She said all the blood had drained from my face and I looked like a ghost. Andy told me they said they were ok but being a mom, it scared the ever living CRAP out of me. I realized something that day. You can cry and you can drive really fast but you can't do both at the same time! I chose driving really fast. Good ending. They were fine. Spent half the day in the ER but they were both fine. Truck not so lucky!

• Like 2

Man that sucks!

I have a moment like that involving rolling over in a trailblazer. Fell asleep at wheel, grabbed some ice, over corrected, and rolled a few times. Lil bro was pinned under car.... everyone was ok though. Was a good running truck until I broke it.

Scariest for me. When my 18 month old daughter was was bit by a rattle snake. 70 miles from the hospital. My ford f250 has a shutdown a 100mph realy pissed me off that day. We passed up the ambulance hauling ass the other way and did not want to turn around ant try to catch it time was ticking. Then we get to the ER and have to wait in waiting room. I almost freaked the fuck out on the hospital staff. I had to call poison control and have them get her in. She was acting normal like nothing hapened so they did not take it siriously Her leg swelled up 2x though. The doctors said she had what they call a dry bite where the snake doesnt inject. She got real lucky. The lord was watching over her. She was fine after 12 hrs in a ER checking her blood presure and monotoring her.

My scariest moment was back in 8th grade and I was out riding dirtbikes with my father. I was messing around on my kawasaki kx 250 ( way to big for me at that age!) on a little berm track in a sandy wash. I went across a sand whoop section sideways causing my front wheel to wash out and my body going head first into a burm. I had a full grand mall seizure and had to be air lifted to the hospital. I woke up 12 hours later vomiting from my massive concusion to find out my legs where completely numb. I found out I fractured my C4 vertibrae, bruised my liver ( from handlebars jabbing me) and a broken coller bone. I seriously thought I was going to be paralyzed for the rest of my life. But god had different plans for me and my feeling started coming back over the course of 2 weeks. By far the most terrifying feeling Ive ever had.

One of the scariest times I have had was when I was 20, and I had the misfortune to be on the receiving end of a second armed-robbery at the Pizza joint I worked at at the time.

The boss, myself, and a regular helper were just chatting one day, when two knife-wielding men or teens in ski masks charged in, making a whopping racket that stunned the three of us into non-movement. The one who did most of the squawking ran around the place, demanding to know where the cash register was, even though he had clearly passed it when he crossed the front desk, while his cohort stood behind the counter, watching us.

When the guys first came in, I approached the loud one, thinking he was another employee playing a joke on us. Not only was I wrong, but the fella made a thrust at my chest with his knife. I jumped back in surprise, with the tip of the blade barely making contact with my skin.

We survived the encounter, but I broke down as soon as I got home, only then realizing how close I had gotten to a serious, if not life-threatening, injury. It took me about fifteen minutes to recover, but that moment is burned into my psyche.

But the one that has to take the cake is when my daughter, then only barely 2 years old, became very sick with a rotovirus. My family were visiting my parents overnight, when our daughter woke up, choking on her own vomit, apparently due to her body's lack of experience with the act of vomiting.

My wife screamed "My baby's dying!!"

The poor girl kept puking for two hours, and even went limp in my arms for a brief second or two, before I reflectively Heimliched her airway clear. By this time, both my wife and I---first time parents, the both of us---were in full panic mode. An ambulance was called in and we got her to the ER, puking the whole way, but the EMTs were very good at helping her out.

So, after we were there for around a half-hour, the kid shoots out a pooh that clears the whole area of people, it smelled so bad. The doctor taking care of her immediately suspected the rotovirus, and, sure enough, she was fine the next day, albeit a bit weak.

We all got it, too, but I didn't give two shits, because I had just gone through the worst time I have had to date as a parent.

Edited by Photoguy

My son was 4 months old and had the sniffles.. heard on the baby monitor LACK of noise coming from his crib/room..

woke up and went in to check him.. he was turning a blue-ish color.. wife (at the time) bugged out..

I scooped this HUGE FLEM out from his mouth and a few good pats on the back and voila GTG..

Glad I kept my calm.. (did my nervous break down later)..

Called his Dr. on cell at 2am of course.. took to ER next day for fever and more wheezing..

had VERY BAD cold and was diagnosed with Azmathe (sp?) and had to have Pulmicort and Albuterol every 2-4 hours that we had to admin.. needless to say we spent a WEEK solid in the hospital.. we alternated 8 hours shifts and slept in the hard chair in his room..

boss said his boss wanted to fire me... of course I said go for it.. FAMILY FIRST was my response.. needless to say I still had my job the following Monday..

Al

Spring 2003

Drove onto a bridge over a river at night straight into an EF-2 tornado in my hometown. At the time I thought it was just a normal thunderstorm until half way across quarter mile bridge the lights on both sides went out. Tree branches flying sideways in the middle of a river is not normal. After making it across, I had to pull over and catch my breath. I truely thought I was going to get picked up and thrown into the water 200 feet below. Ever since that night I have high anxiety when any kind of thunderstorms are about.

I live in northern Alabama and April 27th this year was not a good day for me.

Edited by Peckaldee

I've been in a lot of scary situations...from having to jump into a muddy lake when I was 10, and swim down and save my little sister from drowning after she fell through a hole in the pier... to bad car and bike accidents... to getting my right hand almost completely swallowed by my 13 foot (at the time) Burmese Python... to the time I had to take that agonizingly long boat trip across a local lake, with only a trolling motor, to help save a small boy who had been thrown from another boat when his dumbass dad broke the no gasoline engines rule there, and hit a stump, throwing them both in the water, without life jackets, and the boat, with the outboard motor turned all the way to the right, was going round and round in circles while wrapping the poor kid up in the anchor rope, til it finally stopped by pulling him right into the prop, embedding itself into his groin and killing the engine with him and the rope wrapped up in the prop...and to make things worse, the boat was sinking. By the time me and another boat were finally able to reach them, with trolling motors on high and paddling like crazy, the father was barely able to keep the kids head above water and was screaming for help. I was the only one with any tools on board, and fortunat6ely was able to tie off the boat from sinking and start bailing it out while the man used my tools to remove the prop, still embedded in the boy's groin, and we lifted him onto the bow of another boat that had just arrived on the scene with a gas engine, and rushed him to an ambulance that was waiting on the shore by that time. As soon as the kid's feet touched the bow of the boat, the prop fell out and blood poured down his legs.... I don't even know if he lived... when we got home we called all the hospitals and couldn't find any info, we weren't family...

The big one I'll probably never shake though, was when you and I sat there for what seemed like an eternity...holding hands and praying, waiting for Doctor Weissler to come in and give us the prognosis on my condition in Sept of 2009. We both knew it was bad when he and his whole staff came into the office to tell us the news. He said I definitely had cancer and it was in a very advanced stage. (stage 4) I could barely get past the lump in my throat, but had to ask.... Doc what are my chances for survival? When he answered back with "about 45%".... I went to a place I never want to go to again...

Being retired military I also have been in a few scary sits (understatement...)

I was a tank driver in a M60a1 on range 13 in Graf in 74. The tank was ready to go downrange and shoot targets and was equipped with a full combat load (54 rounds of 105mm if I remember right.) The rounds are fired by a small electrical charge that is directed to the primer...

The tank had electrical problems so had a mechanic in there working on the batteries when he dropped his wrench. I was sitting in the drivers position and all I could see behind me was the reflection of all the fourth of July sparks flying around the turret as his wrench hit the pos and neg terminals and blew in half...

No one can tell me that there is no such thing as divine intervention!

Edited by Odd Man Out

I've been in a lot of situations where I should have been scared for my life, but was too stupid to be scared, lol.

But when I was about 8ish (I think), my mom, my friend, his mom and myself were driving on the highway. We hit a puddle and hydroplaned (in spinning circles) across 4 lanes of traffic, somehow managed to not hit any other cars, slid down an embankment and into a chainlink fence which very much acted like a cushion, as opposed to an abrupt stop into a immovable object......a couple feet from a pole that would have obliterated the car if it hit it at highway speeds. A couple miles before this happened, our moms had (completely randomly) asked us to recite some prayers we had learned in "religious education" in school, just to see if we were paying attention in class. So we did it.

I'm not very much into religion, but I do have my beliefs. Given all the things that could have easily gone wrong in that situation, but didn't........someone was watching over all of us in the car that day. No doubt in my mind.

A phone call "your kid is in shock trauma" - 4 of my kids were together for a trip to the State Fair. Made a 90 mile trip in 45 AGONIZING minutes! Wife did the same in her car. We found our kids in 3 DIFFERENT hospitals - ALL OK THANK GOD!

Jake was the one in shock trauma, they transported him by helicopter because the steering wheel looked like a pretzel.The seat had come lose in the violent crash and he held it in place with his grip on the wheel, destroying the wheel. Jake was in shock, but had no trauma - they flew him to shock trauma because no one had ever seen a steering wheel that mangled without massive internal injuries!

I took a dog (black lab)to the vet, because she wasn't eating right. Otherwise she was fine. Vet said take her home and make her comfortable, there is nothing I can do. This was on a Saturday morning. Saturday night, she started coughing up blood and mucus. she had lymphoma, cancer of the blood. Couldn't get ahold of the vet, and had to watch her big eyes pleading for help, and there was nothing I could do. Blood and mucus running from her nose and mouth. I couldn't get ahold of the vet. If he knew she was that bad, he should have just put her away. Christ, I'll never forget that shit. It happened so suddenly. She was only 5 years old. It sucks/and is scary watching someone you love die, and there is not a damn thing you can do about it.

One of the scariest times I have had was when I was 20, and I had the misfortune to be on the receiving end of a second armed-robbery at the Pizza joint I worked at at the time.

The boss, myself, and a regular helper were just chatting one day, when two knife-wielding men or teens in ski masks charged in, making a whopping racket that stunned the three of us into non-movement. The one who did most of the squawking ran around the place, demanding to know where the cash register was, even though he had clearly passed it when he crossed the front desk, while his cohort stood behind the counter, watching us.

When the guys first came in, I approached the loud one, thinking he was another employee playing a joke on us. Not only was I wrong, but the fella made a thrust at my chest with his knife. I jumped back in surprise, with the tip of the blade barely making contact with my skin.

We survived the encounter, but I broke down as soon as I got home, only then realizing how close I had gotten to a serious, if not life-threatening, injury. It took me about fifteen minutes to recover, but that moment is burned into my psyche.

But the one that has to take the cake is when my daughter, then only barely 2 years old, became very sick with a rotovirus. My family were visiting my parents overnight, when our daughter woke up, choking on her own vomit, apparently due to her body's lack of experience with the act of vomiting.

My wife screamed "My baby's dying!!"

The poor girl kept puking for two hours, and even went limp in my arms for a brief second or two, before I reflectively Heimliched her airway clear. By this time, both my wife and I---first time parents, the both of us---were in full panic mode. An ambulance was called in and we got her to the ER, puking the whole way, but the EMTs were very good at helping her out.

So, after we were there for around a half-hour, the kid shoots out a pooh that clears the whole area of people, it smelled so bad. The doctor taking care of her immediately suspected the rotovirus, and, sure enough, she was fine the next day, albeit a bit weak.

We all got it, too, but I didn't give two shits, because I had just gone through the worst time I have had to date as a parent.

Now imagine if you were carrying concealed and how different that would have gone. Yet another situation where someone carrying concealed could have saved property or a life.

I took a dog (black lab)to the vet, because she wasn't eating right. Otherwise she was fine. Vet said take her home and make her comfortable, there is nothing I can do. This was on a Saturday morning. Saturday night, she started coughing up blood and mucus. she had lymphoma, cancer of the blood. Couldn't get ahold of the vet, and had to watch her big eyes pleading for help, and there was nothing I could do. Blood and mucus running from her nose and mouth. I couldn't get ahold of the vet. If he knew she was that bad, he should have just put her away. Christ, I'll never forget that shit. It happened so suddenly. She was only 5 years old. It sucks/and is scary watching someone you love die, and there is not a damn thing you can do about it.

Ive been in that situation before.........except we couldnt pay for the vet, we had to do it ourselves. The look in my dogs eyes will always haunt me.

One of my Scariest moments was this past saturday. I was cruisin around my dads yard on his lawnmower, he tuned up the engine and now its a bat outta hell. He decided he would jump on the back of it and help me ride a wheelie and at first it was fun until the grill was pointing towards the sky and still going forward. 30 yards of that and I had to check my boxers..........Almost flipped it.

Mine has got to be when my daughter was born. She as my son was 2 years before born breech (as I was myself must run in the family) except she had the cord rapped around her throat and she wasn't breathing when they kept trying to get her to. The nurses took her immediately out of our sight and worked on her for what seemed like hours but was really just minutes. By the grace of God she started breathing and turned out to be a healthy little girl. My second was when I heard my father had a massive coronary as I knew from my grandfather that was not a good thing. He pulled through it very well though but my third came when my mother called and said she thought he had a stroke. That was what ultimately took his life. I have had several close calls myself but I tend to be more scared when it involves my family members. I'm glad to hear the above stories ended mostly in a good way and that most realize that God has played a major role in the outcome.

I think my personal worst was shortly after 9/11. I was standing Force Protection watch up on the bridge of my sub, and there was this Weldcraft fishing/jet boat coming straight at us, up on plane, and he wasn't slowing down or turning, just hauling ass right at us. I know those boats will do 35mph without trying (lots of them on the Snake River in Hells Canyon), and I'm standing there wondering if I am going to have to shoot some dumbass civilian because he's unable to see a big black submarine against the dark green trees at the shore. I was a safety-click away from emptying a magazine of 5.56 into him when the Coastie RHIB goes flying by us at something over 90mph. I swear that the only part of that RHIB in the water was the three, 200hp outboards. Fortunately, the dude stopped when the Coasties showed up, or that would have really sucked all around. I know I would have shot him, and I also know I would have been court-martialed for shooting him.

The time I broke my back wasn't anywhere near as scary, for some reason, even though back injuries never really heal right.

• Like 1

I think my personal worst was shortly after 9/11. I was standing Force Protection watch up on the bridge of my sub, and there was this Weldcraft fishing/jet boat coming straight at us, up on plane, and he wasn't slowing down or turning, just hauling ass right at us. I know those boats will do 35mph without trying (lots of them on the Snake River in Hells Canyon), and I'm standing there wondering if I am going to have to shoot some dumbass civilian because he's unable to see a big black submarine against the dark green trees at the shore. I was a safety-click away from emptying a magazine of 5.56 into him when the Coastie RHIB goes flying by us at something over 90mph. I swear that the only part of that RHIB in the water was the three, 200hp outboards. Fortunately, the dude stopped when the Coasties showed up, or that would have really sucked all around. I know I would have shot him, and I also know I would have been court-martialed for shooting him.

The time I broke my back wasn't anywhere near as scary, for some reason, even though back injuries never really heal right.

I had a LOT of those moments on the old Sea Leopard. Twice destroyers were heading straight at us and never even saw us (Thank GOD the old diesel boats can go from surface to 200" in 11 seconds!). Another time I woke up to stand watch and while washing my face I ended up standing on the mirror as we took a 87 degree down angle at speed! ( Portsmouth made damn good hulls, the depth gage went to 1100', the hull was designed for a LOT less!) While replacing the #3 engine heat exchanger, Charlie Choo Choo opened the 10" hull stop valve. I was in the bilge and the 6" backup valve was not reinstalled yet. At 200' the pressure is 88psi. so I was trapped against the bulkhead by a huge water jet crushing my chest. Charlie panicked and ran out of the compartment leaving me to get myself out of there and close the hull stop, then call for an emergency surface and bilge pumping (about 2,500# of water flooded in!

Edited by G O B

Now imagine if you were carrying concealed and how different that would have gone. Yet another situation where someone carrying concealed could have saved property or a life.

Indeed, as this incident involved the loud, jumpy fella running all over the pizzeria looking for the register, even to the bathroom! I'm not saying I could have taken one or both out, but I had ample opportunity for a clear-minded snap-decision.

The first time, though, was not so clear-cut. In this case, the perp cam in like an ordinary customer, and I had just gotten off the phone with another order, so I did not see the pistol until it was set between my eyes.

The guy was very calm, and quietly ordered me to give him the money. I did what I was told, but made what I thought would be a fatal mistake. The guy asked if there was any money underneath the til, and I actually called over to my boss---who was distracted from all this with making a pizza---and asked him if there was any money under the til. My voice was shaking, and I suddenly froze, realizing I had just brought attention to this guy and clenched my teeth and closed my eyes, bracing for the shot that I was sure was going to make my head into a pinata.

Nothing. The guy simply realized his time was up; He had the til money. He was out the door by the time I reopened my eyes. I heaved a sigh like I have never heaved before, the weight of what felt like a freight train left my body, and I nearly fell off the stool I had been seated on the whole time.

My boss asked what that was all about. And I said we had just been robbed. "What?!" he asked. And I said--and I quote: "Robbed. Me. Gun. Head. Just now."

Scared the hell out of me, but I got over it much faster than the knife incident. I think what set it apart was that the gunman knew what he was doing and kept things calm.

After this incident, I never thought about getting a gun, but after the second incident, I bought and kept a .40 Baby Eagle in the shelf.

If I work at a place like that again, I will be carrying. There will be no second thoughts about it.

• Like 1