Are converted Saiga .223's legal in UPSTATE NY/ Does anyone in ups

Hi all,

My topic title pretty much says it all. Based on my interpretation of the law, the answer should be yes, as long as it does not qualify as an assault weapon (no bayonette lug, flash suppressor, high capacity mag etc...) and complies with 922r.

However, there is a section in the NY state law that says:

"Any of the weapons, or functioning frames or receivers of such

weapons, or copies or duplicates of such weapons, in any caliber,

known as:

Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs

(All Models)...."

and the list goes on.

But Saiga's are made by izhmash, which is not listed and is not a copy of any of those (Izhmash is the original). MOreover, I didn't buy my Saiga .223 in NY, but I think you can by them in upstate so, I am very confident you can convert them.

Care to share your thoughts on the subject?

Edited by Mr.Atoz

I haven't ever heard of an issue so long as you aren't adding enough features to make an "assault weapon". You can't convert Saiga shotguns to have a pistol grip in NYS. I have seen some people do a thumb hole stock, but that seems iffy.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

My topic title pretty much says it all. Based on my interpretation of the law, the answer should be yes, as long as it does not qualify as an assault weapon (no bayonette lug, flash suppressor, high capacity mag etc...) and complies with 922r.

However, there is a section in the NY state law that says:

"Any of the weapons, or functioning frames or receivers of such

weapons, or copies or duplicates of such weapons, in any caliber,

known as:

Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs

(All Models)...."

and the list goes on.

But Saiga's are made by izhmash, which is not listed and is not a copy of any of those (Izhmash is the original). MOreover, I didn't buy my Saiga .223 in NY, but I think you can by them in upstate so, I am very confident you can convert them.

Care to share your thoughts on the subject?

Perfectly legal as long as you don't have "evil" features of an assault rifle. Mine: preban mags, pin & welded comp, ground down wings on bayonet lugs.

post-13757-0-86512800-1309863278_thumb.jpg

You said that you needed to grind down the wings on the bayonet lugs, but the Saiga .223 does not have a bayonet mount, right?

Only if you convert them like I did , as you can see in my pics I replaced the front sight base and gas block with the military version which have the bayonet lugs. Just grind down the wings and you're good.

• 2 weeks later...

You said that you needed to grind down the wings on the bayonet lugs, but the Saiga .223 does not have a bayonet mount, right?

Only if you convert them like I did , as you can see in my pics I replaced the front sight base and gas block with the military version which have the bayonet lugs. Just grind down the wings and you're good.

Thanks Man. And you are in NYS? Did you buy your Saiga in NY (JW)?

Thanks Man. And you are in NYS? Did you buy your Saiga in NY (JW)?

Yes and yes. I ordered both through a buddy of mine that's a dealer. I wanted to make sure I got the magwell dimples.