38 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better

• Ultimak
    • MI Rail with optic specific top rail
    • Other (explain)

I plan on doing a forward mounted red dot and i was wondering which one people generally like better and why.

Edit: i plan on using the primary arms micro dot for either set up

Between these two choices, I would go with the Ultimak, for simplicity and lightness.

I plan on doing a forward mounted red dot and i was wondering which one people generally like better and why.

Edit: i plan on using the primary arms micro dot for either set up

Between these two choices, I would go with the Ultimak, for simplicity and lightness.

my only problem with the ultimak system is that if i wanna end up with a quad rail, i'll have to buy the ultimak lower tri rail, and $220 is a lot to drop on just the lower rail

my only problem with the ultimak system is that if i wanna end up with a quad rail, i'll have to buy the ultimak lower tri rail, and $220 is a lot to drop on just the lower rail

If you want a quad rail, then just go with the MI rail. But why do you want a quad rail?

If you want a quad rail, then just go with the MI rail. But why do you want a quad rail?

i'd like to mount a magpul afg just to try something different. i've shot an m4 with a vertical foregrip and it was ok and i don't mind nothing either, but the afg just seems like a happy median rolleyes.gif

i'd like to mount a magpul afg just to try something different. i've shot an m4 with a vertical foregrip and it was ok and i don't mind nothing either, but the afg just seems like a happy median

Have you tried just using the mag? Works nicely, and without adding additional weight.

Edited by Jim Digriz

I was on the fence too, so I got the UltimAK, and chopped my factory HG some more!

Works great, and I put a short rail on to try out the AFG also. I'm sticking with my magazine/Spetznaz grip. My combat light resides there now.

Rails are for looks, IMO. They add a ton of weight to an already front-heavy weapon, and they tempt one to mount stuff like lasers and other crap that has no business on a work rifle.

My $.02.

ETA: The UltimAK is a combat proven system, for years. The MI/Us Palm optics specific rail is new. My money's on the warhorse that's BTDT. Just saw you're in PA- We're near Harrisburg if you ever want to shoot.

post-20073-0-10513800-1308700370_thumb.jpg

Edited by bohound
  • Like 1

I was on the fence too, so I got the UltimAK, and chopped my factory HG some more!

Works great, and I put a short rail on to try out the AFG also. I'm sticking with my magazine/Spetznaz grip. My combat light resides there now.

Rails are for looks, IMO. They add a ton of weight to an already front-heavy weapon, and they tempt one to mount stuff like lasers and other crap that has no business on a work rifle.

My $.02.

ETA: The UltimAK is a combat proven system, for years. The MI/Us Palm optics specific rail is new. My money's on the warhorse that's BTDT. Just saw you're in PA- We're near Harrisburg if you ever want to shoot.

How does that microdot handle the heat? i've heard the ultimak gets pretty hot.

IDK if this is any indicator, but on Sunday I zeroed the micro dot- took a whole 5 rounds to get it where I wanted... Pretty much on center from the factory, then we drilled. I went through around 250-300 rounds, no hiccups. Yes, the UltimAK got a little warm, but no worse than any gas tube. The optic preformed flawlessly.

As far as the UltimAK frying optics- I don't see it happening with my semi auto, even dumping mags as fast as I can. This is definitely an automatic fire "problem" as far as I can see.

I've heard though, that Aimpoints and this PA micro are pretty good with the heat... I wouldn't run my EoTech up there. I'll keep you posted if I fry it, but I doubt I will.

• Like 1

IDK if this is any indicator, but on Sunday I zeroed the micro dot- took a whole 5 rounds to get it where I wanted... Pretty much on center from the factory, then we drilled. I went through around 250-300 rounds, no hiccups. Yes, the UltimAK got a little warm, but no worse than any gas tube. The optic preformed flawlessly.

As far as the UltimAK frying optics- I don't see it happening with my semi auto, even dumping mags as fast as I can. This is definitely an automatic fire "problem" as far as I can see.

I've heard though, that Aimpoints and this PA micro are pretty good with the heat... I wouldn't run my EoTech up there. I'll keep you posted if I fry it, but I doubt I will.

is it an absolute cowitness? i know the MI rail isn't an absolute one. and hopefully tonight i'll be ordering my conversion parts so soon i can test the magwell grip. i just need to decide whether i want the polymer buffer tube and magpul moe stock or the CAA kit that has the stock and aluminium buffer tube. I'm so indecisive 021.gif

Not sure what you mean by "absolute". I've heard it described as a lower third, but I can't go with that either. Best way I can describe it is: When I snap in, and attain my sight picture, the red dot "sits" directly on top of my front sight post, at the point of aim. Whatever is behind that dot becomes a small hole when I press. Pretty simple.

I know this sucks, but I tried taking this alone...

post-20073-0-23051000-1308830839_thumb.jpg

As far as the buffer tube: I would go with whatever is tougher, regardless of cost. You want bulletproof parts, compromise will cause failure when you need it to work most.

Not sure what you mean by "absolute". I've heard it described as a lower third, but I can't go with that either. Best way I can describe it is: When I snap in, and attain my sight picture, the red dot "sits" directly on top of my front sight post, at the point of aim. Whatever is behind that dot becomes a small hole when I press. Pretty simple.

I know this sucks, but I tried taking this alone...

post-20073-0-23051000-1308830839_thumb.jpg

As far as the buffer tube: I would go with whatever is tougher, regardless of cost. You want bulletproof parts, compromise will cause failure when you need it to work most.

Absolute cowitness refers to the center of the dot is in the center of your irons. some ar's have a this type of set up. as far as the buffer tube goes, you're right and i should spend the extra $ on the aluminium one. unfortunately i'll have to wait a few weeks for CSS to get the Vltor one back in stock unsure.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I bought an MI rail with the US palm upper, and a Primary Arms red dot. I've never had the Ultimak setup.

My entire setup cost about what the Ultimak lower rail costs, and that's including the Primary arms optic. I ran it hard at an action rifle match last weekend, and it did not let me down. The optic on the MI setup is not on the gas tube, and stays at nearly ambient temps. I get a lower 1/3rd ish co-witness.

So far so good.

Edited by eodinert
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought an MI rail with the US palm upper, and a Primary Arms red dot. I've never had the Ultimak setup.

My entire setup cost about what the Ultimak lower rail costs, and that's including the Primary arms optic. I ran it hard at an action rifle match last weekend, and it did not let me down. The optic on the MI setup is not on the gas tube, and stays at nearly ambient temps. I get a lower 1/3rd ish co-witness.

So far so good.

Is your lower 1/3rd co-witness similar to the pic bohound posted? I've never used a red dot but am considering one down the road. I think I might prefer something like that over having the red dot perfectly placed rear sight (I'm asuming this is considered a perfect co-witness)

It just seems to me it'd be easier and quicker to get on target if u can completely see your red dot and not take the chance of it getting hidden behind your rear sight if your off right or left.

But, like I said I've never used one so Everyone with experience please let me know if you agree or I'm nuts.

Edited by dust feeder
  • 2 weeks later...

Is your lower 1/3rd co-witness similar to the pic bohound posted? I've never used a red dot but am considering one down the road. I think I might prefer something like that over having the red dot perfectly placed rear sight (I'm asuming this is considered a perfect co-witness)

It just seems to me it'd be easier and quicker to get on target if u can completely see your red dot and not take the chance of it getting hidden behind your rear sight if your off right or left.

But, like I said I've never used one so Everyone with experience please let me know if you agree or I'm nuts.

You are making the use of a reflex sight sound too difficult. Your dominant eye doesn't need to be directly aligned with the irons to make these red dots work. You can be off to one side or another or even high. Once properly sighted in, if you can see the dot and it is on the target, the round will strike the target. Simple.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

MI: Side and Bottom Rail, Doesn't get as hot, Has Models for specific optics like the aimpoints etc.

Both are good, I have the MI and run and Aim Point and the dot shows with my irons, I had the older version and the aimpint was mounted higher, so bought the aimpoint micro specific mount and prefer it.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I like the Ultimak and have a couple of AK's that I use them on. I have Eotech's on them and have not experienced any malfunctions due to heat build up. I think if you had select fire options, then I think that might be a factor mostly experienced by the miltary and civilian contractors more than with semi-autos.

post-24333-0-83943400-1346860699_thumb.jpg

Edited by Berzerker2