Saiga Refinishing

I know this topic has been beat to death but, if my conversion includes refinishing the entire rifle, is there any part of the factory Saiga finish worth saving and is sand blasting/chemical stripping and entire factory finish down to bare metal the only good option?

Below the factory paint is the rifle parkinized and is this worth saving?

Can the factory finish carefully be removed leaving the park'd finish in order to save a step in the new refinishing process?

If the new finish requires baking in the "Family Oven" does this damage the oven in any way? Ie, do the future cup cakes smell and taste like gun finish?

I have always considered myself a big DIYer but after doing some hoemwork on new finishes, I am somewhat perplexed.

After doing a bit of homework, I feel that the only long lasting finish is a baked on finish and most likely using Norell's Moly Coat.

I want to attempt to do this refinshing project myself to save a few hard earned bucks but I am contemplating having a gun smith do the work and spend a couple hundred Sacajewes.

I know there are a lot of AK fans who would say, "throw some Krylon on it, it's just an AK" but I want to spend my time and money on a long lasting and good looking finish. I really only want to do this once.

Thanks in advance and sorry for rambling.

Edited by Las_Vegas_HK

it's not all that complex, i dont even remove the factory finish. get a can of brake cleaner and industrial grade rustoleum paint in the silver can. degrease the gun completely, make sure there is no residue left. spray light even coats with the spray paint and use a hair dryer to keep it dry to the touch and keep the finish even. after you have several good coats, put it in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour at 250-300 degrees for an instant cure. there will be no permanent damage to the oven, the kitchen may smell like paint for a few hours, but thats it. it is also very easy to make a device to hold the gun while it's in the oven. i just made a stand out of 2x4s that fit in the magwell.

I usually have the gun parkerized and then Brownell's baking lacquer, but I have access to a gunsmith. No, it doesn't damage the oven at all.

Doc, I agree with you 100%

Hk parks then enamles over the fresh park....imho, that is the best way to do it....that's the only way I'll do it.

btw: Big Lou came in w/ the B-West AK, you and Otto swapped recievers on....Frickin' GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!! Beautiful job B)

I usually have the gun parkerized and then Brownell's baking lacquer, but I have access to a gunsmith. No, it doesn't damage the oven at all.

Doc, I agree with you 100%

Hk parks then enamles over the fresh park....imho, that is the best way to do it....that's the only way I'll do it.

btw: Big Lou came in w/ the B-West AK, you and Otto swapped recievers on....Frickin' GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!! Beautiful job B)

Kool! Glad Lou likes his makeover.

Is there anything under the Saiga paint finish worth saving? Like a parkerized coat?

It the best way just to strip down the Saiga rifle finish to bare metal and than park it in preparation for a baked on moly coat finish?

Do chemical strippers work best for the home DIYer's

For the newer rifles were the Legion Arms logo scratched out in a rectagular shaped box, what do people do there? Sand only or is there some filling also?

It is hard spending $450(a year ago) for a Saiga 12 or $350 for a Saiga rifle only to have to strip down the brand new factory finish and spend upwards of $250 refinishing the rifle right way, not to mention another $150 for the conversion parts and some labor.

Thanks for the help.

I know this topic has been beat to death but, if my conversion includes refinishing the entire rifle, is there any part of the factory Saiga finish worth saving and is sand blasting/chemical stripping and entire factory finish down to bare metal the only good option?

Below the factory paint is the rifle parkinized and is this worth saving?

Can the factory finish carefully be removed leaving the park'd finish in order to save a step in the new refinishing process?

If the new finish requires baking in the "Family Oven" does this damage the oven in any way? Ie, do the future cup cakes smell and taste like gun finish?

I have always considered myself a big DIYer but after doing some hoemwork on new finishes, I am somewhat perplexed.

After doing a bit of homework, I feel that the only long lasting finish is a baked on finish and most likely using Norell's Moly Coat.

I want to attempt to do this refinshing project myself to save a few hard earned bucks but I am contemplating having a gun smith do the work and spend a couple hundred Sacajewes.

I know there are a lot of AK fans who would say, "throw some Krylon on it, it's just an AK" but I want to spend my time and money on a long lasting and good looking finish. I really only want to do this once.

Thanks in advance and sorry for rambling.

I've found that Saiga factory finish to be comparable to water color. A bit of solvent dripped down my gun and the black paint ran like cheap mascara. The guys that I shoot with have been using Duplicolor ceramic paint on their guns. They look good and seem to hold up well.

Any coating will work such as molycoat, duracoat, or if you want to bake it go with powder coating. All are heat resistant to high temps and if you are scared go with duracoat high temp (handles up to 1800 degrees I think it was). Coatings get messed up when they aren't prepped properly or allowed to cure properly. Most coating manufacturers are very specific on how to use their products. If you waked from their specific instructions then it is on you. Most will even offer more advice if you call them. If I didn't have a buddy who does duracoating professionally I would DIY it. It is not hard if you do what they tell you to and I assure you, once cured, the shit has to be blasted off. My safety selector slides over it without gouging the finish at all.

Do no be intimidated by the process, it is painless if you follow the instructions properly. Baking is not required and is only used to expedite the process for some coatings if your wife isn't ok with you using the family stove, but it does no damage to it or leave any residue.