Saiga 12 Mods and Money

I recently set a "Hobby Budget" for my new Saiga 12 shotgun. I bought the gun from PFI and I love it. The only issue I had with them is that one of the sling brackets on the side of the T6 stock came in broken and they aren't super responsive about a replacement or anything. On to my question...

I had them convert the gun for me, add a Tapco T6 adjustable stock, do a "gas system overhaul" so that it could fire the cheap stuff, got the gunfixers plug, limbsaver stock pad, and the large charging handle. I LOVE this gun. It fires the cheap Federal bulk pack stuff on setting 5 100% of the time and even rapid fire.

So I set a budget of $70/month for my shooting hobby. This is as much as I can afford at the moment due to tons of other expenses in my life right now. I want to know which mods you guys would do and in which order? i'm thinking an MD-20 drum should be first, but here's a list in the order that I'm thinking..

1) MD-20 drum

2) Chaos Titan Quadrail

3) Chaos door breach/brake

4) More magazines

5) Stock up on ammo

6) Red dot sights

I know this will take a very long time to get these mods with the set budget, but I'm willing to wait and do these things over time. The goal is to end up with the ultimate zombie killer / tacticool shotgun that I will use for home defense, target shooting, and general fun. Thoughts?

Is that Tapco or PFI not being responsive abotu the stock? While I don't like the Tapco stock, I've heard thier customer service is pretty good about fixing/replacing things like that.

All your parts look like decent upgrades, though the rail, the drum, or a decent red dot is going to take you several months of saving up to get at $70/month.

1- For drum or mags I would suggest getting only 1 of each item at first and then seeing how you like it before getting more, there are some personal preference issues as to each item. Personally I got a drum because its bad ass, but I prefer shooting with 5 and 8 round stick mags (they're much easier to load).

2- Rail wise the Titan is king, but realize a lot of rail systems reduce cycling a little, so your gun migh not cycle as well as what PFI Dude set it up to do. Still no way to find out except to try. There is also the issue that having a quad rail doesn't help until you've also got the appropriate items to attach to it, which might take you awhile to get it properly equipped.

3,4,5- Breacher/Brake, Stick Mags, and Ammo. All good, all purchaseable that are well below your monthly limit, can get several per month.

6- It worth saving up for a decent optic to make sure you get one that can handle 12g recoil. Also not a usefull item to get until you have a method to mount it, either your desired Titan rail system or an AK style optic mount.

This is what I'm running, sounds kinda similar to what you are aiming for.

hpim0169.jpg

you will have a lot of fun with the md20 round drum and if you take care of it, chances are it will appreciate! a can of royal purple maxfilm is an upgrade that will season your weapon and not a whole lot of people know about it! 7 bucks for a 4oz bottle. a good sling is something that most people never even consider. you see all the (JERRY)ed out saigas with all the fancy crap on them and no weapons sling! i like spec-ops slings that are made in the USA.

will you ever use a quad rail? will you ever blow a bolt on a door? all things to consider when you are on a budget. quad rails are great if you need them but have an ergonomic disadvantage. they add weight and are almost all bulky and odd compared to a nice standard grip.

have fun!

nick

I suggest doing this just as you should pay your bills. Start with the smaller, more manageable things (2 mags shipped are right about your monthly limit) that are necessary and practical. These will allow enjoyment of your gun while you wait for the bigger purchases. My list in order would be....

1) magazines/ammo- buy one stick mag and some ammo a month for 3 months. I say this before the drum because a 20 drum is fun as he'll to shoot, but you will waste a ton of ammo through it. So do it after 3 months of saving ammo so you can thoroughly enjoy it. Plus stick mags are more practical and useful for home defense and carry.

2) drum- fun as hell, nuff said.

3)rail system- needed for an optic and you can save for 2-3 months depending which you choose. You still have plenty of mags and a drum to keep you interested.

4)back up iron sights- I would add these before going with an optic. With the chaos rail you have to remove your factory sights so you need something for those months while you save up for a good optic.

5)breech/break- now you are becoming tacticool

6) save the biggest for last so you don't get bored waiting. You NEED a good durable optic for the S12. A lot of people recommend an eotech or trijicon, but Nkomo makes a red dot (monarch) that is 1moa and gets awesome reviews. It is about half the cost of the super high end and Nikon is a great company.

My $.02 but I recently dumped a ton of money into my tacticool Saiga and wish I was a little smartedr about it cause I used all my allowance from the wife on it and missed out on a great deal while I did it. Good luck

It looks like a EO Tech with a backup MBUS front and rear sight.

I have the T6 as well. However my rail get up is the OEM forearm modded by Tromix to have an underslung rail. I wanted mine to be light and easy to maneuver with simplistic features that allow for the most ease of use. So far I have that. It's not done yet but it has quickly become my favorite shotgun I have.

Saiga12drum.jpg

Saiga12v11.jpg

Edited by ShadowFire

Hey thanks for the response! Yours is very similar to what I'm going for. What stock is that? Also what sight and rail are you using there? Looks great!

Stock is GL-Shockcp made by FAB defense and sold by Mako Security, same for the tube. They're Israeli though so not 922r complaint, but generally once you've done a trigger/grip conversion that isn't an issue any more.

Sights wise thats an EOTech 552A65, with a set of Magpul MBUS flip ups as a backup.

The AR style sights sit physically higher than a lot of other sights, which is why I'm using that stock/optics combo, needed a cheek riser. You can get lower sights like the HKs that Chaos will sell with the Titan, they don't flip down though so not sure how well they work when combined with an optic mounted at the same time. I assume with them being fixed and lower that you'd either use a lower optic like an Aimpoint micro or stick with something taller on a quick release mount.

Start with the smaller, more manageable things (2 mags shipped are right about your monthly limit) that are necessary and practical. These will allow enjoyment of your gun while you wait for the bigger purchases.

Thats a good order of operations. I realized after I posted I didn't suggest an order at all, which is what he was asking for.

My $.02 but I recently dumped a ton of money into my tacticool Saiga and wish I was a little smartedr about it cause I used all my allowance from the wife on it and missed out on a great deal while I did it. Good luck

Yeah, Saiga mods can suck the money out of your wallet before you know it. Sticking with either a fixed total budget or his proposed monthly budget is probably a good idea.

Budget is an awesome idea. The thing I did that sucked most was have a FCG in hand but no gun because my receiver was in duracoat, my bolt/carrier were at paulys, and other parts were elsewhere. I had literally $1000 in parts with no gun to enjoy them with. Having gun in hand the whole time and putting it together slowly would have been worth it's weight in gold.

Where is the best place to buy the MD 20 drum? I'm seeing that on MD's website they're like $120 but some vendors (CSS) have them for like $99. Are these the exact same? Also how often does MD put the drums on sale for $80 like he has in the past?

I was on a budget but still equipped my shotgun with light good quality parts. The rails are awesome looking but I would never use them. I bought the CSS AR style forearm $80, Molot grip $12, recycled lazyman pistol grip t6 stock $35, I bought the md 20 around x-mas for $80, and a couple high cap mags $33. Well within anyones budget. I just polished the bolt and carrier myself and did the conversion as well so I saved a lot of money. For shits and gigs heres a pic of mine...

post-27610-0-30517300-1308682079_thumb.jpg

CBR Shadow....PM me I have a chaos tri rail and chaos warthog that I wana get rid of. I will give you a smokin deal as I just wana get them off my hands for a lighter setup. If you are liking the Eotech too I have a 512 for sale also. All stuff is like new condition

Jason

you would just need the chaos top rail which you can buy separatly

Also what sight and rail are you using there?

Missed the part about the rail, that is a Chaos Titan. The Titan is actually just the top rail as it mounts to a normal Chaos tri-rail, Chaos discounts them as a package deal but if you could get a good deal on the lower tri-rail seperately somewhere (I wonder where) you could get the rop rail later. That would also give you time to determine if you wanted to use the Chaos sights, which are discounted (and installed) when purchsed with the rail.