bolt carrier starting to crack

So i was cleaning my s12 today and noticed a crack starting to develop where the op rod screws into the bolt carrier. There is roughly 1mm wide and 3mm long of material missing. I was just curious if i should avoid any higher power loads with fear that the crack may get worse and my s12 would be out of commission, or if i should avoid shooting it all together and have someone install the heavier op rod Tom Cole sells. Kinda bummed since i just converted it.

So i was cleaning my s12 today and noticed a crack starting to develop where the op rod screws into the bolt carrier. There is roughly 1mm wide and 3mm long of material missing. I was just curious if i should avoid any higher power loads with fear that the crack may get worse and my s12 would be out of commission, or if i should avoid shooting it all together and have someone install the heavier op rod Tom Cole sells. Kinda bummed since i just converted it.

We have seen several of these this year. Send it to someone that can weld gun parts to repair it. You may want to call Tom at CGW to see if it is under warranty.

• 4 weeks later...

We have seen several of these this year. Send it to someone that can weld gun parts to repair it. You may want to call Tom at CGW to see if it is under warranty.

I have this same problem. Also, the head of the op-rod broke off! I never shoot anything but value pack (win and fed) through it. Absolutely no high brass (too expensive).

Tom Cole? LOL!!!!!

What a joke. The 2 times I have called Cadiz, they are having major problems. The first time was a few months ago when I ordered a shorty S12 OP ROD. It was about 3-4 weeks before I ended up calling them back after I had not received it. "Oh... Tom's been sick. Oh... here it is, all ready to go out". Really? Tom was sick, so you couldn't mail out my part? A week and a half later, I got it. I didn't even use it. I made my own in the mean time because I already waited a month and my build was suffering.

Next was my broken S12 OP ROD (factory). It took 3 phone calls over 3 days to get anything going. They handed me off to someone that took my serial prefix to see if it was covered under warranty. I was given a warranty #, but never confirmed if it was covered. I'm not paying them $85 +shipping for them to weld it back up. Their excuse for the lag was that one of their shops burned down. While all of their problems are unfortunate, why should the customer suffer?

Too many problems with that place. Poor service, suuuuuper long wait time for ANYTHING, and they always have an excuse as to why they can't get it done.

Cadiz is a HUGE waste of my time. Thanks for nothin.

Don't sweat it Tom... I won't be calling anymore.

I have this same problem. Also, the head of the op-rod broke off! I never shoot anything but value pack (win and fed) through it. Absolutely no high brass (too expensive).

Tom Cole? LOL!!!!!

What a joke. The 2 times I have called Cadiz, they are having major problems. The first time was a few months ago when I ordered a shorty S12 OP ROD. It was about 3-4 weeks before I ended up calling them back after I had not received it. "Oh... Tom's been sick. Oh... here it is, all ready to go out". Really? Tom was sick, so you couldn't mail out my part? A week and a half later, I got it. I didn't even use it. I made my own in the mean time because I already waited a month and my build was suffering.

Next was my broken S12 OP ROD (factory). It took 3 phone calls over 3 days to get anything going. They handed me off to someone that took my serial prefix to see if it was covered under warranty. I was given a warranty #, but never confirmed if it was covered. I'm not paying them $85 +shipping for them to weld it back up. Their excuse for the lag was that one of their shops burned down. While all of their problems are unfortunate, why should the customer suffer?

Too many problems with that place. Poor service, suuuuuper long wait time for ANYTHING, and they always have an excuse as to why they can't get it done.

Cadiz is a HUGE waste of my time. Thanks for nothin.

Don't sweat it Tom... I won't be calling anymore.

Hell of a post for your second one four years. I wonder if your first one was a slam, too. I guess anti-socials don't need to be sympathetic to other people's difficulties.

ETA: Sorry for the temporary hi-jack, op.

Edited by Yeoldetool

A fire kinda screws stuff up. As a customer, you have to be understanding when these problems occur. Shit happens. Give the company a chance to fix it, and they might have some delays calling people back after a building burned down.........

Also, to the OP, id recommend taking your carrier to any of the reputable vendors here. I personally have had a very good experience with cobras customs, his customer service is exceptional. but many people here are capable of fixing it.

Edited by yooper14.5

Their excuse for the lag was that one of their shops burned down. While all of their problems are unfortunate, why should the customer suffer?

Actually thats a pretty good reason.

And to the OP. I'd suggest not shooting your shotgun until its fixed.

Their excuse for the lag was that one of their shops burned down. While all of their problems are unfortunate, why should the customer suffer?

Seriously dude? Their freaken building burned down!! That could bankrupt many small companies and your pissed because they lagged on getting back to you? Sorry but the whole world does not revolve around you.

Yeoldetool: This is not a slam, just calling it how it is.

I am a very understanding guy. I've waited much longer for many other things of less importance. All it would've taken was a phone call or email... "sorry it's taking so long. we're still working on your part/issue. (etc)"

No contact, no reply.

This isn't a custom build, machining, or repair (initially) issue... it's a 'package and ship issue'(for the shorty rod that was in stock when ordered) and a 'check the recall/warranty list and see if my serial# qualifies' issue.

If the job is too tough, quit. If not, get it done. Simple. If you're going to constantly lag, let the customer know ahead of time that there's going to be a long wait so that they can make a more informed decision on whether or not to use CGW. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Maybe Cadiz needs to pass the baton when it comes to RAA certified repairs/warranty work. They've kinda got us by the balls here. We don't have too many options.

I seriously have no ill will for CGW. I hope Tom and Vicki Jo are doing well, and they recover from their setbacks. It's just a shame that everyone else has to suffer along with them.

You notice none of us are just jumping up here & saying "I'll fix it"?

That's because it's a royal PITA. <_<

If it's under warranty, I'd take advantage of that.

That weld at the end of the carrier should be preheated before welding & hardened correctly.

Better off going for a new carrier through the warranty first.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

Thanks, how do I contact Cobra (or is it a screen name)? I'm not too active on here since I finished my S12 and moved on to other things.

As I said, I would replace the bolt carrier were it not for the fact it is polished. The design of a tapered threaded socket that bears most of the recoil seems strange on a Russian gun. I would have liked to see the same OD all the way to the end of the threads. IZMASH!