A different take on a PSL

Well, I am finally done. This fake can was the last thing that I had to mount.

Specs:

17" barrel

Alumalite muzzle brake "Fake can" -solid chunk of aluminum... yeah its not super light.

Ironwood Stock and PG

Custom Handguard

Sight block cut and re/welded on to the gas blok

Hungarian Leather sling

and last but not least POSP 8x42 PRO MIL Dot scope.

IMG_3986.jpg

IMG_3985.jpg

IMG_3984.jpg

IMG_3983.jpg

IMG_3982.jpg

IMG_3981.jpg

IMG_3980.jpg

Edited by Deussne
  • Like 8

Nice..Great Work

I like how you did the wood, and the FSB.

Just currious.. How come with the fake can? For looks or function.

I keep going back and forth between getting a PSL or Saiga 308. Your making it easy to lean towards the PSL..

Keep up the great work.

Sean

That is the nicest looking PSL I have seen! How much did the whole rig cost you?

Not sure.

$600 Rifle

$150 for Stock and PG

$50 Handguard

$330 Scope

$35 for fake can

hard work and care=priceless LOL

I would say around $1200 if you include trigger, duracoat, and any shop supplies.

Nice..Great Work

I like how you did the wood, and the FSB.

Just currious.. How come with the fake can? For looks or function.

I keep going back and forth between getting a PSL or Saiga 308. Your making it easy to lean towards the PSL..

Keep up the great work.

Sean

Fake can serves both. It was part of my vision for this rifle so it serves its purpose for both looks and functionality., however it works as a good muzzle brake at the same time, my goal was to create a mid-range rifle. So the muzzle brake adds some weight up front for a good balance, plus once Suppressors become legal in MI, i am planning on getting a real one and swapping it out. :)

Edited by Deussne

That is a gorgeous rifle! Who made the furniture?

Thanks, and this rifle is every bit of fun to shoot, I brought it over to a friends house, and between the three of us we shot about 350 rounds thought it before we run out of ammo, everyone just loved shooting it. One of my friends refers to it as a bazooka because its loud and throws out a fireball. We were shooting steel plates (6") at about 120 yards. 4 plates and you could just go from one end to another and back again hitting them one after another..

It sure is not a sniper rifle but it will serve me well hunting.

Furniture is by Ironwood Designs Handguard is by Rhineland arms. All are walnut. I saturated them with teak oil, then took a torch to them, got a nice burn pattern, then applied some walnut stain which did not stick everywhere but only in a few spots, so that gave me the effect that I needed. I finished it all by applying more teak oil.

Edited by Deussne

Very nice. I like the "fake can to real once legal" idea. Great job on the wood. Nice, "natural" camo pattern. Are you gonna try to do some longer range shooting with it? Looking forward toa report if you do.

• 2 weeks later...

Way kool...love the fire tiger stripes on the furniture and the gasblock/sight combo :super: How ya diggen the mil-dot? That's what I have on my Bull PSL and like it much better than the chevrons

Edited by kmanator
  • 2 weeks later...

Dude, that is georgeous!!!!! I love the SVD looking fore stock, and the camo pattern. Very subtle. Great job!

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes, as I'm a newbie here, but I have a Tabuk clone in 7.62x54R that I built using a Centerfire PSL kit as the base, that I'd like to show off as well.

post-34941-0-23874800-1311253893_thumb.jpg

Dude, that is georgeous!!!!! I love the SVD looking fore stock, and the camo pattern. Very subtle. Great job!

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes, as I'm a newbie here, but I have a Tabuk clone in 7.62x54R that I built using a Centerfire PSL kit as the base, that I'd like to show off as well.

Definitely not stepping on any toes, very relevant, and nice looking rifle! You gotta tell the story on that magazine. What the hell is it and where can I get one?

Nice, did it take a lot to modify that Lahti Mag? I found a place where I can buy them cheap however I already have 9 PSL mags so did not think I really needed any more at this moment.

I like your work! Good job.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words.

First, Duessne is correct, the mag is a Lahti 20 rounder. Unfortunately I can't remember the website where I picked it up. This was the second one as I screwed the first one up horribly. It looked great, but wouldn't feed a single round. This one is still a work in progress as it feeds about about 75% of the time. There have been others before me that have done this mod, but I haven't been able to get anyone to come off of any BTDT info to help. Just had to muddle through alone. It definitely looks right at home on there, and for just a "one off" mag it's ok, but I wouldn't want to rely on it in a SHTF scenario. The factory PSL mag is very robust and reliable. I have about 6 rusted PSL mags that I'm going to try to make a 20-25 rounder out of, but I need to improve my welding skills first.

As far as the rifle goes, it was a PSL kit that one of my buddies on Gunco convinced me to build as a Tabuk clone. I was planning on building the PSL straight forward, but I already had one. I wanted to eventually build a Tabuk, so he said "why don't you build it as a 7.62 x 54R clone?" Damn good idea. I love it!!! Way more comfortable and fun than my PSL. I did have an actual IWD Tabuk stock on it, but the M76 stock is more comfortable. It's also better balanced with it. First trip to the range and she was about as spot on as I could ask at 100 yards. I still need to finish the metal. I'd prefer to home blue it to keep the Yugo theme going, but I may never get the time so I might have to Duracoat it instead.

Oh, and I used an M76 top cover. I almost cried when I had to cut the notches on each side to clear the rear trunnion side plates. Had to machine the barrel down to fit all the components, in their new rearward position, as well as weld the gas port and drill the new one 4" aft. It was a lot more fun than a regular Ak build. I had built about 12 AK variants at that point and was looking for more of a challenge.

Oh well, I'm at work and gotta go. Thanks agin for the compliments. Duessne, yours is absolutely beautiful. I really like what you've done with it.

• Like 1