Locating rail not Milspec.

Well I picked up my MKA right before I had to go to work.

Tried to mount my Leupy DeltaPoint and it will not fit!!!

I got a heads up these may have rails that are to a foreign spec and it seems to be the case. IF I could find an adapter/riser that would do for now as the DeltaPoint will be low anyway. I ordered a Yankee Hill riser from brownells and may hack on it but that doesn't address the issue.

Otherwise it seems fine and the handgaurds will defiantly need to go or some kind of heat shield.

The little faux jewels on the safe and fire switch are kind of cute.

Edit to add I did check a couple dimensions with calipers and they do not jive with the specs I found at Brownells referencing the gov specs.

Edit again to say I can't change the title to say "picatiny" and my phones auto spell isn't gun savvy. Sorry.

Edited by Jasper

Yeah, it's thicker and slightly wider than a standard rail.

The MKA rail can be machined underneath, and Tromix 922r conversions will feature this service.

I believe that some folks are already working on a riser/rail that will slide over.

Hmm

What about a winterized trigger guard? Kinna like the Magpul enhanced aluminum TGs? It seems that the lower has the TG perm attached but I'm sure there is an answer to that. I have the Magpul enhanced alum one on both of my lowers, gives me a lil more of an AK kind of feel with the extra room.

After looking and trying to find an actual standard I can not find one. It fits neither the 1913 spec or the "stang" NATO specs from what I can tell. Using a pair of decent dial calipres it seems that

grooves are .085" deep

grooves are .193 wide

overall width is .850" This is the one thats hosing me at the moment. Too wide for my Leupy mount.

Ive spent quite a bit of time searching for a set of specs that fit and Im not. Converting for metric still doesnt come up right unless Im just measuring way off but I dont think so.

Bueller?? Bueller??

Edited by Jasper

I found a temporary solution. I used a Yankee Hill riser which I needed the height anyway. I actually cut it and while its not pretty it will work for now. Its also about 3/16" off center but since we are dealing with a shotgun not a rifle at 300 plus yards it shouldnt make a big diff.

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

Not as excited about this gun as I was now that I read this. Had already decided to buy one to go with the Saigas, but not so sure now. I will wait to see if this gets fixed in later batches. I am not gonna put a rail on top a rail. Not that it isnt a good solution, but it shouldnt have to be done in the first place. The thought of having to do that just because the original one isnt spec'd just irks me.

Heard from a good source that some fix for these initial units is in the works and following shipments will be OK I believe. It's not a deal breaker for me. My fix works OK.

I also found a UTG mount that looks similar and is cheaper and already in two pieces from the pics.

Watched a few vids....they seem rather large. Maybe the guy shooting was tiny. Hows the recoil? The guy I watched wasn't handling it that well compared to S-12 videos I've seen. My S-12 has a Tromix monster brake and recoil is stellar. That brake is a hair parter. ...love it. It sweats testosterone.

just got the gun and mounted the dot and the rear buis(generic,unknown brand)as well as the booster bushing from css, will give details after I have tried it over the weekend, can't wait though....by the way I'm 5'5" medium built and it fits like a glove with my built...here's another shot.

post-17901-0-11607100-1309569666_thumb.jpg

Edited by ispayboy
  • Like 1

just got the gun and mounted the dot and the rear buis(generic,unknown brand)as well as the booster bushing from css, will give details after I have tried it over the weekend, can't wait though....by the way I'm 5'5" medium built and it fits like a glove with my built...here's another shot.

Nice. Do you like the front sight on?? I didnt even try and took it off. Your dot a co-witness with it?

Nice. Do you like the front sight on?? I didnt even try and took it off. Your dot a co-witness with it?

The front sight is a match with the dot and the rear buis, but as people who had fired the gun tells it will loosen so, the moment any new sight for this gun with better built hits the market, I'll grab one. Here's another shot with my bushy patrol carbine, stock on 2nd slot(sully length, I think...)

post-17901-0-01474500-1309581822_thumb.jpg

Edited by ispayboy
  • 4 weeks later...

Not as excited about this gun as I was now that I read this. Had already decided to buy one to go with the Saigas, but not so sure now. I will wait to see if this gets fixed in later batches. I am not gonna put a rail on top a rail. Not that it isnt a good solution, but it shouldnt have to be done in the first place. The thought of having to do that just because the original one isnt spec'd just irks me.

After re reading the statement about not wanting to buy this gun just because the top rail isnt in spec, is laughable. Afterall, I own Saigas, but then again, I didn't know much about them when I bought the first one. I knew nothing of the problems they have from the factory.

Having said that, now that most of the bugs have been worked out, I love my Saigas. I WILL be adding the Akdal to my weapon cache. Especially now that v2.0 will have the rail issue corrected. And I can't wait to see what the builders come out with for this gun!

Edited by AlphaDogo
  • Like 1

For what it's worth, one of the problems with the rail actually looks like an easy fix... at least to get a real carry handle on there. It just needs a little taken off the outer bevels is all. The progressive problem of the incorrect distance between the ribs on the rail is another story though.