Need a gunsmith advice on a headspace

Well... I bought a milled M72 on AR15.com.. From a guy in florida. Seemed to be a decent guy, lots of positive feedback...

Got the rifle today, and there the story starts.

IMG_4005.jpg

First by looking at this rifle, it looks like a monkey with a pipe wrench put it together.... Pretty shitty weld job here and there, hamer and trigger are all nicked up.

Well, that was the least of my concerns.. I quickly realized that this perticular rifle had some play in a bolt, and low and behold, I notice this....

IMG_4012.jpg

IMG_4011.jpg

The trunion looks to be all smashed up, no doubt from someone firing it with excessive headspace...

IMG_4009.jpg

IMG_4008.jpg

The bolt itself has grind marks on it.

IMG_4010.jpg

The headspace seems to be off by about 1/8" or so LOL

So my question to you guys who seem to know more then me about this, is this rifle salvagable???

I tried to contact a guy so that I can return it , but he have not replied back yet.

Is there even a slight possibility that taking the pin out and pressing the barrel in that 1/8" untill the proper headspace is achieved a plausable solution? The gas block is already attached, and I can see already that the gas port will not be lined up if I push the barrel in so far...

UPDATE:

Just checked another bolt that I had, and with a bolt that is not all F(%*$ up like the one that came with the rifle, the headspace passes the GO-NO go gauge test. So a proper bolt would fix the headspace issue... However, my concern is still there, the buggered up locking recess.. The bolt engagement is a lot less now then what it would be.

Edited by Deussne

What do the lugs look like on the trunnion? My concern would be that you would get the headspace dialed in but the lugs are too rounded or deformed to actually lock the bolt tightly enough. The top of that barrel just over the chamber looks severely mangled - mind if I ask who the importer is?

Either way I'd return it, if you can track the dude down. I would not pass this rifle on to someone else to shoot knowing what you know now - It just plain unsafe.

What do the lugs look like on the trunnion? My concern would be that you would get the headspace dialed in but the lugs are too rounded or deformed to actually lock the bolt tightly enough. The top of that barrel just over the chamber looks severely mangled - mind if I ask who the importer is?

Either way I'd return it, if you can track the dude down. I would not pass this rifle on to someone else to shoot knowing what you know now - It just plain unsafe.

4th and 5th picture show both sides of the lug recess area on the reciever, I think with a new M72 bolt that is not all messed up the headspace should be ok, or at worst needs to be adjusted slightly, I tested a standard ak47 bolt in there and it passed the GO-NO GO gauge test

The reciever is ORF milled reciever Most likely for M70.

And yes I would NOT pass this rifle on to anyone, ones safety is very important compared to a price of a rifle.

If the headspace passes go / no go with a new bolt and everything locks up tight then no worries I would think. Someone else here may have another opinion on that though. I'd definitely still use a string to pull the trigger the firt time though. :ded:

I'd contact the guy and try to get a refund. Selling a gun with excessive headspace and buggered bolt/receiver lugs is just negligent. Maybe he didn't do the bubba job himself, but it's hard to believe he didn't know about it when he posted it for sale.

If a new bolt locks up tight, it's probably fine to shoot--but those receiver lugs look pretty rounded and definitely aren't making as much contact as they should. I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting it, personally. You can always get another M76 but you only have one face!

Looks like the seller is ignoring me.... 016.gif

This just plain sucks. Why are some people like this?

Since he sounds like a private seller I'd give him a week or so for benefit of the doubt, then begin a campaign of shame on any forum boards he is a member since there really isn't much else you can do. I'd pester the snot out of him via email in the mean time. Probably won't amount to much but at least you'll be stuck in his head for a bit. If he is running a business then there are other methods of dealing with this. My 2 cents.

Edited by j_sunn

Wow. That is one ugly mess you've got there. :(

I hope you didn't pay too much, and GL getting the guy who sold you this beat-up Bubba job to do what's right and refund you your money.

I had a similar experience not too long back on a SLR107-CR I bought in "90% condition" off GB. The rifle looked like it had at least ~2k rnds through it and some retard had removed the side folder at some point and reinstalled it with a couple shitty screws, (left one rivet hole completely empty).

I refused to take the transfer from my FFL, paid to mail it back, and started with the emails/phone calls. I did eventually get my money back, (minus the shipping which he wouldn't refund).

Dude! that sucks!

I think I can get your $$ back in a hurry. Take the gun to a 'smith, get him to verify it's not in a shootable condition as-is, and get that in writing. Then email the dude with a scan of the letter, and tell him that you're going to go to the USPS in say, 15 days, if he doesn't refund your $$ ASAP and press charges of mail fraud.

UPDATE: Well, afer some lengthy discussions with the seller, he agreed to send me $250.. I am going to use that to purchase a new milled reciever. Lucky, I enjoy working on guns and although I would not be able to shoot this rifle any time soon, I will get to enjoy to rebuild it.

Building it right this time...... :) It is a matching parts kit after all, minus a freaking bolt... I ordered NOS AK47 Bolt. Guess that will have to do.

Man, I'm sorry to hear about this D. I know you were really looking forward to this gun. I think I saw it when I was looking for and RPK. Thought hard about it but opted for the CAI RPK, I know they've been around awhile and really wanted something ready to shoot this time with "having" to do anything major.

Have fun with the rebuild and good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the asswipe decided that the shit that he sent me is well worth the $650 that I paid for it. And decided that he does not owe me anything nor is he obligated to give me a refund.

This is just irritating. What a douch... I got his name and home address is anyone is interested and wants to stay away from this mofo. Link below is to another forum where the conversations took place. I hope I am not braking any of this forum rules.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_109/888666__1_Kevin44mag__Sold_a_damaged_firearm__and_failed_to_resolve_the_issue_.html

• 3 weeks later...

What part of 'mail fraud' is that douchebag failing to understand? Not to mention 'product liability' (not that he has any money).

A visit from his local postmaster and a couple federal marshals should open his eyes in a hurry.

What??? :angel: No, I don't play nice when it comes to unsafe things, especially unsafe things that my life may depend on. :devil:

I'd take Scott's advice and put some heat on this guy for Mail Fraud. You need to get on AR15.com and smear this fucker all over that forum as well. I'd post the same pics and see what everyone over there thinks.

He got banned from that website. It doesn't really help me but at least he can't screw someone else over there.

I'm planning on rebuilding the whole thing. CNC Warrior is out of the fixed Yugo receivers right now, so I am waiting for them to get those in stock before I start. I already got the new bolt, just need the new receiver.