Bulk Pack Slugs

SGAmmo sells Centurion slugs around $80 per 250 or $17 per 50 and shipping isn't too bad. I don't know of any other slugs that are even close to that price.

Buckshot wise Federal is usally some of the cheapest I see. The white box bulk of 00 is around $12-13 per 25 round box or $99 for a 175 round can. I've also heard Rio is pretty popular.

Edited by fauxknight

I'll stand behind the centurion slugs too. They cycle just fine in my s-12, as a bonus they are short enough to load in all 3 of my MD-20 drums. They are 1.125 ounces at 1400fps. Also, the wad is physically attached to the base of the slug, so when you shoot paper the wad doesn't leave an extraneous hole in it.

I couldn't ask for anything more for 37 or so cents a slug shipped, that's half what I pay for the next cheapest I could find.

SGAmmo.com Centurion Slugs

Edited by Bitbasher

These:

Nobelsport .65" Round Ball

I know they aren't "slugs," but they are pretty hot and are surprisingly accurate out to about 50 yards. At $37 for 100 rounds, you can't beat em.

Edit: They do fit in the MD-20. They are exactly the same length as standard 2 3/4" shells.

Edited by JoeAldrich

The Nobelsport .65 ball is about the cheapest factory loaded 12ga solid projectile out there that I've found, @ $.38 a round, not counting shipping.

The cheapest I've been able to do so far on 12ga slugs is converting Federal bulk pack 1 1/8th oz #8 shot @ $.23 a round into 1oz slugs.

I pick the slugs open, dump the shot into the melter, using a Lee production pot, roughly $60, the Lee 12ga Foster type slug mold, roughly $20, and then just drop the slug into the trap wad and re-crimp them shut with the Lee Load-All II, which is approximately $40.

I don't have a chrony, but I estimate I'm getting 1300fps out of them. Keep in mind, these are just range fodder, because my club does not allow shot on the rifle lines so as to preserve the target hangers.

After 800 rounds, at a $.15 per round saving over the Nobelsport .65 ball (not even counting shipping for the Nobelsport, although there's actually additional savings since I just pick up the Federal bulk packs at Walmart on my lunch break...) after 800 rounds I will have broken even on the Lee reloading equipment. Except the Lee stuff was all Christmas gifts from my parents and cost me nothing. 027.gif

In my 2008 production three hole gas port Saiga, with no low-brass reliability mods, parts, or bolt polishing, I was getting 95% cycling reliability with these partial Frankenstein reloads, and it was 100% by the end of my first 100 converted slugs.

Using the Federal hulls the second time around, with bulk wads, shotgun primers, bulk powder, and scrap lead, I think my costs will be down around $.16 a round for this load.*

* Calculated using:

$25/1000 Winchester #209 shotgun primers

$120 8lb can of Accurate #5 (36gr max load for Lee 1oz slug mold data @ 7000gr per lb.)

$5.50 per 250 WAA12 Winchester 12ga wads.

$1.40/lb (liberal estimate) spot price for scrap lead. 16 slugs per pound.

(Add an additional $.05-.10 per round if I start buying bulk once-fired hulls. I might just keep on converting the Federals, and just shooting them 2-3 times before tossing their cheapy hulls...)