Finished the wifes 7.62x39 Saiga build

My wife loves her AR but she has been watching my recent fascination with converting Saiga rifles to the AK format.

She has shot other AKs but they are too heavy for her.

I recently bought another used Saiga so I decided to build her a lightweight AK.

I wanted to lighten the front so I welded the front sight on the gas block. We decided she does not need a flash hider so no muzzle device of any kind

was installed.

She likes aperture sights, I had a TechSight from another build that got swapped for a TWS gen II top cover.

I like the TWS top cover and do not like the rattle of the TechSight cover so I fabricated a dog leg style cover of my own.

I bought an AMD 65 handguard and retainer and a RPB Industries non folding stock for looks and a little possible weight savings.

I also removed the scope mount just for those extra few ounces.

I call her Sacha, she came out at 6.3 pounds.

I took the wife and the new Saiga out shooting this weekend, the wife has forgotten about her AR.

2011-05-22_11-27-18_718.jpg

2011-05-22_11-46-00_656.jpg

2011-05-22_12-51-50_247.jpg

2011-05-22_13-03-22_904.jpg

2011-05-23_18-43-45_654.jpg

2011-05-24_07-06-22_595-1.jpg

2011-05-25_18-34-42_595-1.jpg

2011-06-07_17-09-21_615.jpg

2011-06-17_06-40-15_875.jpg

2011-06-17_06-41-00_544.jpg

2011-06-17_06-42-43_15.jpg

2011-06-17_06-43-02_558.jpg

2011-06-16_16-50-19_3.jpg

• Like 6

So, you did re-rivet the trunnion right?

I am loving what you did with the sight and gas system look. Very valmet looking!

It looks awesome and can't wait to see it with a legit folder on it and getting rid of that yucky mag lock!

What pistol grip did you use? A Ronin grip a MD arms grip or an Izh grip? I can't tell for sure, or maybe a yugo grip?

Also would like more details about the dustcover and rear sight mod. :super:

So, you did re-rivet the trunnion right?

I am loving what you did with the sight and gas system look. Very valmet looking!

It looks awesome and can't wait to see it with a legit folder on it and getting rid of that yucky mag lock!

What pistol grip did you use? A Ronin grip a MD arms grip or an Izh grip? I can't tell for sure, or maybe a yugo grip?

Also would like more details about the dustcover and rear sight mod. :super:

Yes re-rivet the rear trunnion were I removed the scope mount.

The grip is a US Palm.

http://www.us-palm.com/index.php?option=com_products&view=product&id=2

The dust cover was an attempt at getting the TechSight cover from rattling and not being such a pain to get off the rifle.

Its a great sight but the cover needs work.

I had just bought a TWS top cover and loved the way it works so I milled a piece of cold rolled steel to fit the factory sight slot and welded it to the front of the cover after i shortened the cover to hinge out.

The rear of the cover had to be shaved to slide by the rear sight and hinge up.

allot of work but it turned out pretty good,

Just wanted to add my Bravo on your FS/GB unit - wish I had welding skills like that.

You created almost a duplicate of the Bolton block that Rifle Dynamics uses as wll as the Krebs combo unit. (prob an $80-$100 item)

Cheers,

Harv

I was going to buy a Krebs but they were sold out, I called Lenny Bolton, his GBS only comes with a 45 degree gas port, Saigas have a 90.

I have been welding for over 30 years so I figured it why not give it a try.

The welding was the easy part, grinding and sanding it smooth was the real challenge.

Edited by lentuk

Lentuk, were you at in Kali? If your in norcal can I pay you to weld in my bullet guide?(PM me if you'd prefer) You have quite the build there man! Its a bummer we have to put the anti-freedom devices over the mag release. =( Maybe some day this state will be free. Though moving to a free state seems to be the way to go. =/

Lentuk I have a question about welding the left over holes. Do you put something inside the receiver or just puddle the bead around the hole until it fills up? I would love to do that on my 5.45 build.

Old welders trick, get a piece of flat copper at least 1/8 thick, thicker works best.

Clamp the copper on the inside of the hole and the welding rod or wire does not stick to it.

Lentuk I have a question about welding the left over holes. Do you put something inside the receiver or just puddle the bead around the hole until it fills up? I would love to do that on my 5.45 build.

Old welders trick, get a piece of flat copper at least 1/8 thick, thicker works best.

Clamp the copper on the inside of the hole and the welding rod or wire does not stick to it.

Thank you for the response...can I ask one more question? It looks like you only drilled out the dimples on the gas block for removal. Can you describe the method you used?