If you had....

If you handload then there is a lot of stuff available for the 223. It is quite a bit cheaper to load for than the 7.62x39. Also a bit more accurate. Thats only if you wanted an AK in 223. You pretty well have it covered with what you have now. Also, "Other guys imitate us, but the original is still the greatest!"

If you handload then there is a lot of stuff available for the 223. It is quite a bit cheaper to load for than the 7.62x39. Also a bit more accurate. Thats only if you wanted an AK in 223. You pretty well have it covered with what you have now. Also, "Other guys imitate us, but the original is still the greatest!"

I don't but, for some reason, I save my brass. I have a lot of good .223 and 5.56 brass, I've always wanted to reload, do you have any reccomendations? Where or how do I get started? How much money can you really save?

• 4 months later...

I do not reload but I can tell you first hand and hearing from others that these Saigas really ding up the brass. Every single one of my ejected .223 casings has dings in them some larger than others, but this might compromise your idea of reloading. This happens with almost all AK type rifles however and it has gotten the nickname of the "AK Kiss" from it. Just something to take into consideration.

t3mac21

I reload for my Saiga .223. Yes, the rifle does ding the cases. To mitigate the problem, buy some black self adhesive door edge molding at an auto store and apply it to the edge of the receiver cover. Read this thread. It works. You may still see a mark but it is very much reduced and is not dangerous. If a round catches the neck and distorts it, a nail set will fix it enough to run through a resizing die.

Reloading can be fun especially during the winter months if you live up North and can't shoot often. Lee reloading equipment is probably the most economical way to go to get started. The " Lee Anniversary Kit" is worth looking at. I have one and it got me started. Make sure you read up on the process of reloading especially regarding powder loads. Start with a medium load and work up.

As far as costs go, you can buy 1000 55gr FMJ boattails from Berry's Bullets for $101 shipped. You've got the brass. Primers are about $.03 a piece. Powder is about (guess) 4-5 cents a round. You decide.

Good luck

As an alternative to putting foam on your Saiga cover, I believe you would have good results without modfication by using an AKM dust cover instead. I've fired plenty of brass through my WASR with no case denting. I believe this is largely due to the fact that the ribbed AKM dust cover is folded in on itself where the case hits the cover during extraction. This creates a rounded edge that does little damage to the casings. The Saiga cover isn't, and so it has a hard edge here, which is what you're putting the foam onto.