Lots off meat ,congrats, but I would not call it hunting

:rolleyes:

Whatever ya wanna call it, everybody benefits when the feral hog population is culled.

To the OP: sweet haul. I guess you'll be having a hell of a BBQ on Independence Day! :super:

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 1

Ever try it? It is indeed hunting. They don't like people and are better at hiding than you'd think. On top of that, they can kill you.

Edited by patriot
  • Like 2

Ever try it? It is indeed hunting. They don't like people and are better at hiding than you'd think. On top of that, they can kill you.

+1

Pigs're smarter than most animals, (including some breeds of dog). Hell, they're smarter than some people I have the misfortune of knowing. ^_^

I hunt for years,pigs deer,bear. You need to have some skills to hunt, like good shot knowing of terrain for example,and please dont put the guys in the slaughterhouse in the same category as hunters, and I would make a trap if it would be legal in my state ,but I would not call it hunting,just getting some meat for my BBQ.

:rolleyes: Geeeeeeeeeeez.........if it makes you feel any better, we did shoot some of them as they were escaping.

EDIT: Most of my kills (6) were made from a deer blind that was about 50 yards from the trap. My buddy used his Noveske N4 to finish off the rest.

Edited by atm papi

Are they really worth eating? Has anyone eaten feral hogs/pigs? I heard it tastes like chicken. :rolleyes:

If you ask the average joe you will get mixed reviews.

Honestly, saying this from experience. I cant cook a hog worth shit. I dont know why. But I have cooked em and they tasted like crap. You just have to know how to do it. My brother can cook the hell out of wild hog. If I kill em I take em to him. I have eaten smoked(thats how we usually cook em) hog by me and other and they were tough and worthless. But my brother has a talent for it. Its great, salty, tendor and juicy! hellz ya!

If your going to eat a wild hog you just have to find some one who knows how to do it. He wont tell me the secret! lol jk

It does not taste anything like chicken, :lolol: more like greatness.

we soak them in a brine mixture. basically salt water with a few other spices. helps get rid of the "gamey" taste some people complain about. after that smoke em, grill em, whatever makes you happy.

• Like 1

Thats a real nice load of small hogs you got! Congratulations !! We recently did our first ever Hog Hunt at one of the package-deal places in Texas. Two old grandpa's and our 14 year old grandson. We got 5 hogs. 3 in the 100-125 lb range and two smaller ones at about 70 lbs each.

When the three 'normal-sized' pigs were skinned and cleaned we had about 200 lbs of pig in the coolers. The two smaller ones were kept whole and will be roasted for visual effect for our 4th of July celebration. They will not be the only meat served as some of the family have already stated they don't want to try that nasty old pig..... THEIR LOSS!!!

The larger ones have been cut into normal pork cuts, chops, shoulder roasts, Center-cut Ham slices, and one saddle of ham. That is the whole tail end of the pig the two rear legs (hams joined by the hips and some of the loin. We will roast that too after it gets a tour of duty in my smoker.

I say all this about what the yield was to point out a few things.

1. These pigs are really lean. Very little Fat. The sausage we had made had to have fat added to make it taste right. We got about 40 lbs of Jalopena/chesse sausage out of these oinkers.

2 My wife and I have enjoyed 4 meals out of the 'normal cuts'so far , one of butter-flied pork chops, two of HAM slices, That's fresh HAM not smoked or brined. The ham slices tasted a lot like pork steaks, but without the gristle or large shoulder bone pieces from that cut. The thing is, this pork is very similar to grocery store pork. It is tender, It has good flavor, and if anything, it is a bit lean when compared to the store meat.

3. The sausage is outstanding. My Jalopena/Cheese is just right for us. The kid had some of his ground into fresh ground pork, NO Seasoning. He has made some Burgers out of that and claims they are very good. I have not tried it yet.

I don't know if the tales about big hogs being gamey are true...At the camp we hunted from, the kitchen prepared some slow-cooker pulled pork from a 280 lb Boar one of the hunters shot, but didn't want the meat. The Loin and some of the Shoulder meat was in the slow cooker for about 16 hours, but it turned out to be quite tender and with the sauce and stuff added, it was as good as any BBQ stand I have visited...and friends, I have been to a LOT of BBQ places. So I hope next time to get a larger hog for more yield....but thats another story ! Hope my little hunt story helps with the "Can we eat it decision" !!!

al