I almost DIED today... LITERALLY... seriously...

Yeah... Like the topic says... I REALLY was almost killed today... I must have had someone watching over me this morning...

My buddy and I were at the river fishing... one of our normal fishing spots... out in the "mays point" channel... we stopped at the first main bend where there is a nice deep 25 foot hole... ( the river is normally 10-15 feet deep on average ) So we stopped to try for some catfish there... I kept getting snag after snag, after snag... and was getting really irritated... After the 5th loss of bait, line, hook, swivel, and sinker... I said SCREW this... we havent had a bite in about 30 minutes... lets move upstream and try the next bend at the next hole up there... ( There is another 25 foot deep hole there too.. LOL ) So we pulled up anchor and moved.

We got anchored in... and started to fish... and about 15 minutes later we heard this ungodly rending noise... and a splash... is sounded like a long section of chain scraping along an aluminum boat as someone tossed in a big anchor... and we could see "SOMETHING" that was brighter colored along the bank... we thought it was someone in a yellowish colored raincoat fishing... and we watched that for a bit... seeing what was going on...

Well, we fished for another couple hours and decided it was time to head back... so as we got going... and closer to where we were, we realized that it was not anyone in a boat...

It was a VERY LARGE MAPLE TREE that had the trunk just shatter cause it was all rotted out and it fell into the river EXACTLY WHERE WE WERE ANCHORED BEFORE!!!!! The remainder of the trunk was yellowish in color and thats what we could see from upstream a half mile...

Had we still been there... there would have been NO time to get the motor fired up and moved... we would have had to jump out of the boat if we even had the time to do that... and if not... we probably would have either had the boat capsized, or been dumped out of it and stuck under the tree under water... NOT COOL!!!! Drowning was NOT on my list of things to do today... ( and not EVER!!!)

So today I thank the Lord above... cause He was certainly looking out for us this morning!!! AMEN!!!! :up:

:smoke:

Yeah... Like the topic says... I REALLY was almost killed today... I must have had someone watching over me this morning...

My buddy and I were at the river fishing... one of our normal fishing spots... out in the "mays point" channel... we stopped at the first main bend where there is a nice deep 25 foot hole... ( the river is normally 10-15 feet deep on average ) So we stopped to try for some catfish there... I kept getting snag after snag, after snag... and was getting really irritated... After the 5th loss of bait, line, hook, swivel, and sinker... I said SCREW this... we havent had a bite in about 30 minutes... lets move upstream and try the next bend at the next hole up there... ( There is another 25 foot deep hole there too.. LOL ) So we pulled up anchor and moved.

We got anchored in... and started to fish... and about 15 minutes later we heard this ungodly rending noise... and a splash... is sounded like a long section of chain scraping along an aluminum boat as someone tossed in a big anchor... and we could see "SOMETHING" that was brighter colored along the bank... we thought it was someone in a yellowish colored raincoat fishing... and we watched that for a bit... seeing what was going on...

Well, we fished for another couple hours and decided it was time to head back... so as we got going... and closer to where we were, we realized that it was not anyone in a boat...

It was a VERY LARGE MAPLE TREE that had the trunk just shatter cause it was all rotted out and it fell into the river EXACTLY WHERE WE WERE ANCHORED BEFORE!!!!! The remainder of the trunk was yellowish in color and thats what we could see from upstream a half mile...

Had we still been there... there would have been NO time to get the motor fired up and moved... we would have had to jump out of the boat if we even had the time to do that... and if not... we probably would have either had the boat capsized, or been dumped out of it and stuck under the tree under water... NOT COOL!!!! Drowning was NOT on my list of things to do today... ( and not EVER!!!)

So today I thank the Lord above... cause He was certainly looking out for us this morning!!! AMEN!!!! :up:

well with a great avatar like you have, i dont ever want you to leave us!!!

but seriously, im glad you came out ok. shit like this makes people realize how easy it is to truly get hurt doing something they love.

It wasn't your turn, Bro.

I hit a concrete utility pole while I was going 70MPH (street racing) and didn't get a scratch. The car was a heavily modded '77 Celica GT. Totalled the car. What was left of the passenger front wheel got shoved under the passenger seat. I opened my door and got out, then caught a ride back to base. ( I was in Belgium in the Army). . I saw and heard everything that happened, but I felt absolutely NO force exerted on my body at all! The Dr said I should have broken my left collarbone and right wrist at the least. It wasn't my turn to die that day . Miracles happen.

• Like 1

That was a close one, glad you're OK. I would venture to say there is no bigger hazard for small craft on the water than trees. They can get you in trouble in so many ways. I've had a few "oh, shit" moments in strong currents getting sucked toward the overhanging tentacles of trees along the river banks or fallen trees that leave you nowhere to go but "under".

Chalk another one up to the man upstairs. Who knows over the course of our lives how many time he intercedes on our behalf? :angel: I don't always understand why, but I know the same thing has happened in my life several times...

Edited by Jpanzer
  • Like 2

Glad you guys are ok and use this in those tough times to make to realize that you are still alive and kicking and thats something to be thankfull for

Damn Indy! Glad you are still here. Getting killed while relaxing is the worst thing I could think of. Put your fingers to the steel on your nice ass bass once for me, I'll bet it sounds and feels a bit better now.

Had something similar happen to me when I was living in fairbanks. I was sitting at my computer, annoying people on the XDtalk boards when I hear some loud cracking from the woods outside my apartment. I literally DIVE into the hallway, and *WHAM* the tallest tree on the property crashed into my room, right above where my computer was set up. . .

. . . But alaskans build tough, and it merely dented the absurdly strong support beams for the roof. No broken anything, merely a tree engulfing my apartment.

I love when that happens.

And I love when people recognize it & give him credit. :)

Glad to hear it worked out well.

• Like 1

Thanks to yall for the well wishes... and its very true... I may not be the most religious guy out there... but I AM a firm believer... and things like this just reinforce my belief that He is always there, and watching, and helping when needed! :up:

keep yourselves safe too!!!

Glad to hear it turned out ok and you're fine. I had a similar incident a few years back. I was at my sons baseball game and the weather was very bad very dark clouds moving in quickly. Well the little league officials told everyone to head for safety as a Tornado was reorted not far away then the sirens went off just seconds after. We got into my F-250 Super Duty diesel (heavy truck) and headed for home. I had my son and daughter in the truck as well as a couple of their friends the wind was blowing so hard it was almost rocking my truck up onto 2 wheels. Well the rain was coming very hard and visibility was barely past my hood so I was going real slow and just before we got to the end of the street where the stop sign is the windows fogged instantly so I had to stop as I couldn't see out of them. Well by the grace of God I stopped just less than 10 feet from where an uprooted tree fell and it was not a small one it was very large it would have killed all of us. If my windows had not fogged up we would have been sitting right where the tree fell. I immediately said a very thankful prayer. The tornado touched down just less than a 1/8th mile away causing very severe damage to a tree nursery we would have driven by with trees down all over and across the roads.