What "AK74 style brake" do you plan to use? I'm guessing the Tapco. If so, don't.

If you want to use a '74-type brake, you really need to pull the factory FSB and install one that includes the 24x1.5mm RH threaded extension, then choose a brake made properly, (from K-Var, AK-103.com etc), i.e. not the Tapco. ;)

m580transferpk23pics025.jpg

If you want to just thread your barrel to 14x1mm LH, there are several effective brakes/flash hiders available designed for this threading. Here's a Bulgarian made chrome-lined AK-351 compensator available from K-Var...

akcomp1.jpg

akcomp3w.jpg

Edited by post-apocalyptic

There is nothing wrong with the tapco style brake, I have one and it works fine. The question is do you want authenticity or functionality. The original 74 is authentic and how the design is suppose to work, the tapco is not designed the same and a little heavier but still directs the gas out of the ports as well as doubling as a paper weight. It is a little heavier probably helping the rise some but it does its job and will provide a noticeable difference.

What "AK74 style brake" do you plan to use? I'm guessing the Tapco. If so, don't.

If you want to use a '74-type brake, you really need to pull the factory FSB and install one that includes the 24x1.5mm RH threaded extension, then choose a brake made properly, (from K-Var, AK-103.com etc), i.e. not the Tapco. ;)

m580transferpk23pics025.jpg

If you want to just thread your barrel to 14x1mm LH, there are several effective brakes/flash hiders available designed for this threading. Here's a Bulgarian made chrome-lined AK-351 compensator available from K-Var...

akcomp1.jpg

akcomp3w.jpg

Can you elaborate on your comments or are you just one of those who doesn't like Tapco products?

There is nothing wrong with the tapco style brake, I have one and it works fine. The question is do you want authenticity or functionality. The original 74 is authentic and how the design is suppose to work, the tapco is not designed the same and a little heavier but still directs the gas out of the ports as well as doubling as a paper weight. It is a little heavier probably helping the rise some but it does its job and will provide a noticeable difference.

Thank you for your comment...I am certain the Tapco brake will function just fine. Will it be as good as an original ??? Probably not but I feel their products are well made and up to the task at hand.

Is it as good as the original, well that is hard to say because I have the copy and not the original. I have read reviews on some other forums comparing the two side by side on the exact same rifles with the same ammunition and there seemed to be no noticeable difference between the two, according to the review. I am sure the weight of the brake contributes some to its effects but to say the gas ports dont work is a load of BS. I know they work because I have fouling in each one of the ports after each range trip.

It sounds like you have already threaded to 14x1 left hand, If that is the case check out the talon brake from css, from what I have heard it is well worth the 85 bucks you spend on it. If you really want to you can get a adapter that will convert your standard threads to 74 threads and allow you to use the original 74 brake. Either way it is a win win situation no matter how you do it, have fun and enjoy the shit outta that thing

I haven't threaded the barrel yet Dash but I do have the die and alignment toll on the way from CNC warrior. I cant imagine there is a great difference in weight between the 2 brakes. I already purchased the Tapco but have also been looking at a Brake/ Flash Suppressor from King Armory in Casa Grande, AZ. I like the idea of it also being a flash suppressor. It runs 54.99.

Very cool looking piece from king armory, I would be curious to see how it works for both because most flash suppressor/brake combos really only do 1 or the other really well. I usually carry the 74 style brake for range use but keep my bircage flashhider in my rifle bag and break it out every now and again to practice with something that does not compensate for my lack of experience.

my next purchase will probably be the demon muzzle brake from css it is suppose to be just a brake but with as many ports as it has I think it would do well on flash suppression. Have not found anyone yet who has one on the forum.

Edited by dashowdy

I can see you're determined not to know any better, so enjoy that Tapco! ^_^

First of all yes...I did already purchase the Tapco Brake. But what I wanted from you was "WHY" you think I shouldn't use it. You just made a statement that I should just change my FSB and should not use a Tapco brake. You didn't give any reasons as to why I shouldn't. There are some people who just don't like Tapco because they 'just don't". I am not ion love with Tapco either for that matter but with the prices of parts being what they are I thought this would be a lower cost alternative.

PA...I did not intend to antagonize you. I was just curious as to your reasoning...i.e did you have a bad experience with one? Was accuracy affected??? Did it break? I am going to be threading the barrel on this rifle so I could go with a different brake...I would like it to be US made so I don't have to change anything else to use it.

Edited by dmac27

I can see you're determined not to know any better, so enjoy that Tapco! ^_^

First of all yes...I did already purchase the Tapco Brake. But what I wanted from you was "WHY" you think I shouldn't use it. You just made a statement that I should just change my FSB and should not use a Tapco brake. You didn't give any reasons as to why I shouldn't. There are some people who just don't like Tapco because they 'just don't". I am not ion love with Tapco either for that matter but with the prices of parts being what they are I thought this would be a lower cost alternative.

PA...I did not intend to antagonize you. I was just curious as to your reasoning...i.e did you have a bad experience with one? Was accuracy affected??? Did it break? I am going to be threading the barrel on this rifle so I could go with a different brake...I would like it to be US made so I don't have to change anything else to use it.

You didn't really antagonize me, it's just that answering the same old questions over and over does get old, (I understand nalioth now ^_^ ). Rather than me posting video and entire threads here, just do a search on Tapco '74-type brakes vs those made for 24.1.5mm threads, (as designed), the K-Var and AK-103.com brakes; which are both US-made.

There is a significant difference in function. Here's a video of me firing my SGL21 with a K-Var .30 cal '74-type muzzle brake, note the lack of muzzle rise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBMm4tsPi18

The Tapco doesn't use the same design as the original, therefore it is not nearly as effective as the original. ;)

If you want to use a muzzle device threaded for 14x1 LH, I suggest something other than that Tapco fishing weight.

You didn't really antagonize me, it's just that answering the same old questions over and over does get old, (I understand nalioth now ^_^ ). Rather than me posting video and entire threads here, just do a search on Tapco '74-type brakes vs those made for 24.1.5mm threads, (as designed), the K-Var and AK-103.com brakes; which are both US-made.

I suppose if there were two side by side video comparisons in full auto : Tapco version versus a Real .30 caliber AK74 copy or surplus 74 drilled wider.

The muzzle stability visuals would really stand out. If only I were an SOT, I would have such a video by now. Kvar could probably do this in one of their nutnfancy style youtube

videos with Mr. English.

I didn't make my above video to specifically show off the effectiveness of the brake, but if you can't see the difference between that and the Tapco in dashowdy's link, you really need to look more closely.

The original design is a lot more effective than the cheap Tapco imitation. This is obvious. There really isn't anything to "debate" here.

• Like 2

I didn't make my above video to specifically show off the effectiveness of the brake, but if you can't see the difference between that and the Tapco in dashowdy's link, you really need to look more closely.

The original design is a lot more effective than the cheap Tapco imitation. This is obvious. There really isn't anything to "debate" here.

I would have to agree with you...but that being said I already spent the money and it does show some improvement over having nothing. So I will use it for now and find something better down the road. I am now getting ready to convert a 5.45 Saiga over and I have everything for that on the way...including a Bulgarian GB and an FSB/MB and lower hand guard retainer. I will do the full conversion on that one first and may end up in the same place with the 7.62. In the interim I will probably Purchase one of K-Var's other style of MB for the 7.62...perhaps the AK351 that you show on one of your rifles...How does that one compare in your opinion to the zigzag brake?

In the video I saw an unconverted Saiga with no brake, then a converted Saiga using the Tapco brake. Just moving the FCG forward balances the gun and makes handling the recoil easier.

Good catch I didn't notice that when I watched it.

I personally know that the real 74 style brakes like the KVAR one work far better but most other people can't see this easily. This is why a side by side comparison video would help

to clearify this.

I would have to agree with you...but that being said I already spent the money and it does show some improvement over having nothing. So I will use it for now and find something better down the road. I am now getting ready to convert a 5.45 Saiga over and I have everything for that on the way...including a Bulgarian GB and an FSB/MB and lower hand guard retainer. I will do the full conversion on that one first and may end up in the same place with the 7.62. In the interim I will probably Purchase one of K-Var's other style of MB for the 7.62...perhaps the AK351 that you show on one of your rifles...How does that one compare in your opinion to the zigzag brake?

As I tried to communicate in my earlier posts, there's nothing wrong with 14x1 LH threading for 7.62x39. There are myriad options when it comes to effective muzzle devices. If flash-hiding is paramount, get a Smith Vortex or Liberty Phoenix FH. If you want to reduce recoil some as well, (little less flash-hiding effectiveness), get a PWS compensator or the AK-351, which is ~half the price, factory chromed and shorter; though it counts against 922r since it's a foreign-made muzzle device.

next time i go to the range im going to remove the break from my SGL21 and shoot a mag or two and then add it again and shoot a few mags to really feel the difference

Try shooting a small basket ball size target at least 10 yards away 5 times fast as possible with and then without the SGL21 brake. Try and notice your speed difference.

Bowling allies sometimes sell old worn out bowling pins fairly cheap and these make good targets. I line up several and time myself in knocking down all of them.

While we're talking about brakes and such, what about the FSC47? any experience out there?

I'd like to find a "hybrid" compensator and flash reducer. I know from what I've read that if I go that route it will not be as good as if I got one dedicated to either task, but I see some really positive reviews on the FSC47. I do care MORE about the muzzle rise reduction than the flash hiding, but I would like to be a little bit less of a target at night, too.

then there is this video. my god.

thoughts?