Tromix Heavy Hitter Firing Pin

I had one come in recently with a bolt and carrier I was working on. Looks like a very well made part to upgrade the bolt with. I was also impressed by how much stronger the spring was. Nothing but great products can be expected from Tromix.

:up:

• Like 2

We borrowed that spring design from Valmet, which were notorious for breaking firing pins. Their fix was to add a heavier spring, and it completely eliminated the problem in those rifles. The company that made the Tromix pins was producing the firing pins for Weatherby rifles for many years.

As far as lock-time, more positive/robust ignition, or any other mental masterbation over the firing pin.....I'll leave that retoric for someone else to delve into.

Many OEM firing pins work just fine for thousands and thousands of rounds, but others break with low round count.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone here is using the Tromix heavy hitter firing pin and if so what are the advantages. Mine seems fine however I am always up for better gear for my S12

J

The stock pins sometimes break. It is one of the very few weak points of the platform. I'm getting a the Tromix pin and Cole op rod eventually.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone here is using the Tromix heavy hitter firing pin and if so what are the advantages. Mine seems fine however I am always up for better gear for my S12

J

The stock pins sometimes break. It is one of the very few weak points of the platform. I'm getting a the Tromix pin and Cole op rod eventually.

Does the stock op rod have a history of giving problems like the stock firing pin?

Does the stock op rod have a history of giving problems like the stock firing pin?

Yes.

Both the op rod itself can fail (head snaps off or shaft bends) and the carrier can break where the op rod screws in to it. The metal is very thin around the threads. Excessive play in combo with high brass can start a crack in the threads.

I've not heard of any failures after the Cadiz HD op rod has been installed (drilled & pinned).

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/66918-saiga-12-bolt-carrier/

I have the heavy hitter pin in my first s12. I just put it in because someone showed me how to install them and the price was good. I was surprised at how much more beefier it is compared to the stock pin. On my latest build I ordered one but Greg was out. I tried to call Tromix but the line was busy then I forgot until now. I don't know whether you can break a firing pin or not but I will put one in my new S12 and I will look at the spring.

wouldnt increasing the spring strength and wieght of the pin cause a increased likeyness of light strikes? please correct me if im wrong, and im sure the product works perfectly, im just wondering if the likleyness would be increased.

wouldnt increasing the spring strength and wieght of the pin cause a increased likeyness of light strikes? please correct me if im wrong, and im sure the product works perfectly, im just wondering if the likleyness would be increased.

Not with the factory main spring. That thing can just about drive a nail in the wall. We have had a few light strikes with the older reduced power JTE main spring. That spring was discontinued and I have not had any issues with the newer JTE spring we sell.

I've been wanting to get a heavy hitter, @ the $20 price I think its fairly priced...

On the HD op rods, what size are people drilling them out to? and what kind of pin do you use? a roll pin? I would think what ever pin you use would need to be peened somehow right?

I've been wanting to get a heavy hitter, @ the $20 price I think its fairly priced...

On the HD op rods, what size are people drilling them out to? and what kind of pin do you use? a roll pin? I would think what ever pin you use would need to be peened somehow right?

On the ones I install, I drill through the carrier and op rod with a 1/8" bit. Then I taper the hole on both sides of the carrier, and peen the 1/8" steel rod on both sides, after cutting it about 1/4" longer than the OD of the carrier. It is hammered down into the taper on each side, then carefully ground flush and the carrier refinished.

That's how I do them anyway..... I've seen some where people just used a roll pin. I wouldn't trust that though.

On the ones I install, I drill through the carrier and op rod with a 1/8" bit. Then I taper the hole on both sides of the carrier, and peen the 1/8" steel rod on both sides, after cutting it about 1/4" longer than the OD of the carrier. It is hammered down into the taper on each side, then carefully ground flush and the carrier refinished.

That's how I do them anyway..... I've seen some where people just used a roll pin. I wouldn't trust that though.

Thanks thats easy enough, now I just need to find a small piece of 1/8" steel stock

I use the Tromix pin, but don't use the heavy spring because I insist on using the Reduce power hammer spring to easy cycling and trigger pull. If that shortens the life of the pin, so be it. I will just buy another. The important thing is that we have a supply of firing pins. We didn't didn't have that before. In the old days, I remember GUNFIXR making a firing pin for someone who broke theirs. At that time you were in trouble if you broke a pin. I even know of a case where someone used a modified nail to replace their broker pin. Now all we have to do is order a Tromix one from CSS and it will almost arrive by the time you return home from the range.

I use the Tromix pin, but don't use the heavy spring because I insist on using the Reduce power hammer spring to easy cycling and trigger pull. If that shortens the life of the pin, so be it.

It will. The spring is a big factor.

I use the Tromix pin, but don't use the heavy spring because I insist on using the Reduce power hammer spring to easy cycling and trigger pull. If that shortens the life of the pin, so be it.

It will. The spring is a big factor.

I figured I will just buy another if that happens. What is important to me is to have a source of supply.

Two Fridays ago I was shooting skeet and the bolt wasn't moving as smoothly as usual. Pulled out the bolt and found the piston rod broken! Only 7000 rounds or so, I was surprised! Nonetheless, the gun had still been working for a while, as the ends of the rods were peened a bit. Replaced the rod with Tom Cole's very sturdy replacement, and I am ready to go, and replaced the firing pin at the same time. Impressed by how much more resistance the spring presents, but the gun worked perfectly for the next 192 rounds. Thanks Bob and Tom for making these great parts available.

Edited by alistar
  • 1 year later...

Not with the factory main spring. That thing can just about drive a nail in the wall. We have had a few light strikes with the older reduced power JTE main spring. That spring was discontinued and I have not had any issues with the newer JTE spring we sell.

I already have the Tromix "Heavy Hitter" firing pin. Among many other parts I want to order from CSS, I want to order a JTE Performance Power Hammer Spring /Main Spring (sku: MAIN-SPRING), but both the CSS & Tromix websites say they are not compatible?

Yet the above quoted statement seems to contradict that? Is it compatible? If not, why?

Thanks, Shimaze

Thanks thats easy enough, now I just need to find a small piece of 1/8" steel stock

I used a short section of welding rod

I already have the Tromix "Heavy Hitter" firing pin. Among many other parts I want to order from CSS, I want to order a JTE Performance Power Hammer Spring /Main Spring (sku: MAIN-SPRING), but both the CSS & Tromix websites say they are not compatible?

Yet the above quoted statement seems to contradict that? Is it compatible? If not, why?

Thanks, Shimaze

The reduced power spring did not work with the tromix pin. The full power spring works with tromix pin.