saiga 12 muzzle brake, flash hider, or poly choke's

Newbie here just in the market of a flash hider, poly choke, or muzzle brake.

What is your opinion on which one?

I plan on using it for 100rd plinking w/ winchester 1oz. 2 3/4in. rifled hollowpoint slugs.

I shoot a lil bit of clay and if I did I use universal wally mart 100rd round value pack

Flash hider, id go with a long tromix.

Muzzlebrake, the monster brake from css its huge but by far the most effective.

polychokes are polychokes, you just have to decide whether you want the flash hider version, plain version, or the muzzlebrake version, which I doubt does any good.

It really depends on what you want to use the gun for.

On the one hand, there's a lot of debate about how effective flash hiders or muzzle breaks are for a S-12. A flash hider might be useful if you're doing a lot of shooting at night, but not otherwise. A muzzle break might reduce your felt recoil somewhat, but not as much as a recoil pad. What's more, most breaks (breacher breaks especially) are primarily cosmetic and have little if any real breaking effect. I'm sure many people will get their panties in a bunch and claim that the break they use has a real noticeable effect. With only a few exceptions, I think they're deluding themselves.

On the other hand, the polychoke has a practical purpose. If you shoot clays, you want a choke. If you ever plan to hunt with your s-12, you want a choke. Which choke you use depends on the distance you'll be shooting. You could carry a pocketful of fixed chokes or you could have one polychoke. To me it's a no-brainer. You can also get ends for the polychoke that act as a flash suppressor or a breacher. They don't look as bad-ass as some of the breacher brakes on the market, but the polychoke is a whole lot more useful.

• Like 1

I primarily use my saiga12 for 100 yards steel plinking with slugs, but if i do not plink metal I use my 12 for clay. I want to reduce my recoil/muzzle for better control when I stand and shoot @ 100yards. But I do not want to lose velocity/speed with a muzzle break because there will be a considerable drop at a 100yards.

I do not want to lose velocity/speed with a muzzle break because there will be a considerable drop at a 100yards.

Just adding a muzzle break onto the factory threads won't have any negative effect on your muzzle velocity. To lose muzzle velocity while adding breaking you would either have to cut the barrel shorter or to port the barrel itself, such as is done when adding a mid-barrel compensator. So while cutting your barrel to 13 inches, adding a couple of mid barrel compensators, porting the end of the barrel and then rethreading it to add a giant muzzle break to bring it back up to the legal 18" minumum might dramatically reduce your actual recoil, it will also result in a measurable loss of muzzle velocity...and probably a gun that now needs gas work to be able to cycle again.

Okay I really want to reduce recoil, but i don't want my slugs to sink @ 100 yards. Any recommendations?

You're slugs arnt going to sink with a poly choke , if any thing you may have a better trajectory , the polychoke slug setting is actually a .005 constriction ,which in my experience brought my groups up . I did a review on the polychoke , you can watch it in the product review section , video 3 deals with slugs at 95 yards .

Or you could get a nice looking threaded choke adapter that will let you use Winchokes, Mossberg, and Browning internal chokes, which out perform the poly and only take a few seconds to change out. You can also get rifled chokes for it, and get better distance / accuracy with sabot slugs.

Can't do that with any poly choke.

http://forum.saiga-1...choke-adapters/

• Like 2

Good timing. I'm looking for info on this exact subject as well. If there's a muzzle-end device that actually serves a purpose / function for the S12, then I'm interested. I'm not looking for something that's simply aesthetic, however. The muzzle nut may be plain looking, but if it's just as functional as the "eye candy" offerings, I'll stick with it. Cobra's choke adapter looks interesting...

Screw on chokes actually tend to increase reliability for borderline undergassed guns.

That's an advantage for some.

My 20" Stoger Coachgun Supreme has screw in chokes & patterns quite nicely

• 5 months later...

Newer guy here: I know its an older post, but some people just need a personal reply to feel better about a purchase:

Im looking for a choke, either a 3 set (full, modified, or extra full) or a polychoke.

I like separate chokes, thats how i run my pump guns. I talked to a clerk at gander about a polychoke for my s12 (people boo) and he said when they had a gun with a polychoke fixed, it actually took away from the resale....obviously these aren't fixed (apparently the old ones were). My gun is for range only, but some day, id like to replace my field 870 with it, not too mention, who doesnt like to control their spread on 7 and 1/2 shot?? If chokes affect cycling (they probably don't), for what its worth, my s12 is slightly overgassed. You guys already helped with that, though.....

Poly choke or a set?? Please back up response with why its better (for example, does polychoke have good, consistent groups??).

Keep in mind, I dont give a damn how it looks. If its tacticool, thats fine. If not, I really don't care.

As always, thanks for your help. I've really never seen such a close-knit community whose only thing in common is an imported shotgun......

I have the door breacher polychoke and I love it... I'll never use the door breacher, and the "flash hider" it has on the end actually does little to help at night. But it surely looks cool as hell for all the functionality of it.

All the settings that you can get out of the polychoke make it totally worth the $99 spent... Shooting skeet with the Saiga 12 is amazing, taking 5 birds out of the sky at a time is just a blast without having to pump.

I have Cobra's Winchoke adapter. Good quality and good function. I admit that part of my decision was based on the fact that I already owned a set of Winchokes, but after having the adapter, and shooting the gun with it, I would buy it anyway. My younger son shot a <4" group with cheap S&B slugs at 80 yards off a bench with ImpCyl. I have used the gun dove hunting and it seemed to pattern fine (I killed some birds anyway). I have always been a hunter and the S12 is my only tactical shotgun, so I am predisposed to screw-in chokes, but I still think it is the way to go. I got the version with the serrated end for coolness and my sons approved.

Edited by GKW

This is a valuable topic to discuss. I have just ordered a Red Jacket RTS-12CG (folding stock, shortened barrel with permanently attached door breacher) and have been second guessing myself. I'm not going to be breaching doors, more likely going to be showing this shottie off at the rifle club and might try to shoot clays a bit. I have never shot slugs before and that could be handy hunting hogs. I can participate in a dog-drive deer hunt for population control once annually and I would use buckshot for that (the only load permitted for this). So my question to you fine forum friends is this: if I buy this gun with the door breacher (which I don't think has any constriction), will I be able to shoot slugs at pigs and buckshot at deer?

This is my first post on the Saiga 12 forum by the way. Glad to be here.

This is a valuable topic to discuss. I have just ordered a Red Jacket RTS-12CG (folding stock, shortened barrel with permanently attached door breacher) and have been second guessing myself. I'm not going to be breaching doors, more likely going to be showing this shottie off at the rifle club and might try to shoot clays a bit. I have never shot slugs before and that could be handy hunting hogs. I can participate in a dog-drive deer hunt for population control once annually and I would use buckshot for that (the only load permitted for this). So my question to you fine forum friends is this: if I buy this gun with the door breacher (which I don't think has any constriction), will I be able to shoot slugs at pigs and buckshot at deer?

This is my first post on the Saiga 12 forum by the way. Glad to be here.

If it's a Red Jacket, you'd better be able to run whatever ammo you want. It should work fine for both slugs and buck...