OK, I am willing to take the heat, I have been a fan of the unconverted Saiga(and promoted it)here. I recently shot a converted with the "bullet button" =BB(as I live in Kalifornistan)

I did not like the idea of a BB and a 10round limit. At least in sporter config. I could use my 30rounders.(oh and to mention there is leagal action being taken to remove the need for a BB in CA) One can hope!

Well, I used anothers BB and it was not as bad as I thought. I rarely use the 30rounders as they get in my way. If it comes to SHTF the BB means nothing anyhow and goes away.

Now I am searching for the conversion parts, and have read/watched the conversion vids. Looks real easy(I always thought it would be),. I have every tool they mention and then some as well as the skill (I have fabricated many tools in my profession instead of paying too much for them)!

Damnit I blame you folks her for swaying my ideas! It may tke a little bit to get all the parts, but I will post the outcome!

Thanks to all!

lovers gonna love, i dont even want none of the above, i want to piss on you. yes i do piss on you. :lolol: gotta love dave chappelle.

'the only thing to make my life complete

is to turn your face into a toilet seat,

I wanna piss on it.'

I wasnt interested at all in converting, really because I didnt have the money to do it. Now Im converted and I piss all over the stupid import restrictions. Although, my rifle was awesome before, I like it way better now. drip drip drip

Hey there Bigtwin, check out http://www.solartactical.com/ For those of us in the less than free state of kali. They have the best answer I've seen for the bullet button for ak platforms. They also have a nifty "tool" for the bullet button. It basically turns your magazine into a tool and I will say it is actually very stable too. Here's hoping the legislation goes through for getting rid of the bullet button!

Move to a FREE State, problem solved.

If only it was that easy!

Not to mention, if we give up on one state, what makes you think the antis won't go after the next, and the next and so on. Until there are no more "free states"! California and a few others have it rough, but American gun rights are under attack across the board and we can't just say "Move on to another ____!" Me, I'll stay and fight as long as I am able.

Ah, the "unconverted" IZ-132. It just can't compare to a Saiga like this:

94pics016u.jpg

m580transferpk23pics025.jpg

Even with a bullet-button, you'll much prefer the action and ergonomics on your rifle once you convert restore her, Bigtwin.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

How can you "restore" something to a configuration it was never in to begin with? I mean, sure it's made in the same plant but, it was never a 100 series AK. It's not as if they're taking finished AK's off the line and then quickly changing them to sporter configuration for export, it's a seperate rifle, made for export.

You can "convert" a saiga but saying "restore" is just fanboy jingo-ism.

It's a pet peeve of mine.

How can you "restore" something to a configuration it was never in to begin with? I mean, sure it's made in the same plant but, it was never a 100 series AK. It's not as if they're taking finished AK's off the line and then quickly changing them to sporter configuration for export, it's a seperate rifle, made for export.

well i have to disagree with you. the saiga reciever is a standerd ak reciever .they add crap onto it. if the reciever where actually made from the factory, without any add ons, in that configuration then id agree with you. as it is the saiga is a standerd russian ak reciever with a steel plate tack welded over it to make it legal for importation. it was never "designed" this way. so when we say "restoring" a saiga, it's appropriate because you're restoring it back to the way it was designed.

• Like 2

well i have to disagree with you. the saiga reciever is a standerd ak reciever .they add crap onto it. if the reciever where actually made from the factory, without any add ons, in that configuration then id agree with you. as it is the saiga is a standerd russian ak reciever with a steel plate tack welded over it to make it legal for importation. it was never "designed" this way. so when we say "restoring" a saiga, it's appropriate because you're restoring it back to the way it was designed.

But you would be wrong...the rifle is made in that configuration in Russia. It never was a 100 series AK, although it does share the same receiver, everything else is different. great rifle though, and easily converted into an "AK configuration" although, you can't convert it into an actual AK without breaking several federal laws.

The term "pet peeve" is itself something I find fairly annoying, (along with ~half your posts).

There have been entire threads on this specific topic, (converted vs restored), where I made my reasoning clear. There's no point to doing so again here.

Stop derailing this thread with your trite bullshit. :)

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 1

But you would be wrong...the rifle is made in that configuration in Russia. It never was a 100 series AK, although it does share the same receiver, everything else is different. great rifle though, and easily converted into an "AK configuration" although, you can't convert it into an actual AK without breaking several federal laws.

what do you consider an "actual" ak ?

same bolt carrier, same bolt, same reciever, same barrel.

front gas block is different. furniture is different. gas tube is different, but can be switched with any ak variant tube.

you can use any type of russian ak wood furniture.

to keep 922r compliant it is recomended that you use the apropriate parts.

but again thats all a matter of your interpretation on what an "actual" ak is.

Shit! I didn't think the words i used would bring up so much "Heat"!

I thought I would catch more shit because I promoted the sporter stock so much and decided to convert/restore/bang the hell out of some metal/ whatever! WOW!

I still can't wait for the parts to arrive. I don't know what will be more fun, the shop time or the range time!:haha:

Shit! I didn't think the words i used would bring up so much "Heat"!

I thought I would catch more shit because I promoted the sporter stock so much and decided to convert/restore/bang the hell out of some metal/ whatever! WOW!

I still can't wait for the parts to arrive. I don't know what will be more fun, the shop time or the range time!:haha:

both are equally enjoyable!

• 2 weeks later...

I have done the deed! It was fun and I almost want to buy another one just to do the work. To me building and modifying gives great satisfaction. I do not have the $ to do so right now.

G2 trigger group

Arsenal Nato stock

Hogue pistol grip

Removed metal from my safety to act as a BHO

Some tools

Inspiration from this site

A good bit of machine skills(not required though) Just made me more confident.

Holy shit the trigger is much better and the reset! I could not believe the difference. The job is very easy(most of you know that already), it took no more than an hour and a half. And that was with stopping to let the Dremmel cool( I did get it real hot a couple times).

Also I dont have to worry about US mags any more, that is one bonus.

Thanks to all.

Pics as soon as I can.

Edited by Bigtwin

we should stick a thread where everyone who has ever said "I don't want to convert" only to later praise the conversion can be listed.. this way maybe people can finally understand that the converted rifle functions so much better..

we should stick a thread where everyone who has ever said "I don't want to convert" only to later praise the conversion can be listed.. this way maybe people can finally understand that the converted rifle functions so much better..

Vlad man, you are right. I think you posted on a thread of mine saying, why dont you just convert it, a couple months ago. That was when I was firmly in the unconverted camp, for lack of money basicly. Then I did my FCG and PG and havent turned back. I cant say its in original kalashnikov form(still factory GB, handguard and FSB), but its so much better. I would have done it sooner, had I known.

Vlad man, you are right. I think you posted on a thread of mine saying, why dont you just convert it, a couple months ago. That was when I was firmly in the unconverted camp, for lack of money basicly. Then I did my FCG and PG and havent turned back. I cant say its in original kalashnikov form(still factory GB, handguard and FSB), but its so much better. I would have done it sooner, had I known.

you fixed the important parts... :smoke:

Hey twin, I have the hogue grip as well, and its a huge improvment to any grip ive held. I really want the little AK specific kit that pops in the open hole. But holy shit, it costs like 120dollars. It has brushes and they say it has a rod to pull them thru the barrel. I hope it becomes old news soon so the price goes down. Its very cool, although thats alot of money for a little cleaning/tool kit. I still have left, arsenal warsaw stock, sgmtrirail hg, then I can talk aout getting the grip kit.