Should I call pauly?

Hello,

On the maiden voyage, the saiga failed me big time.

I bought it converted a while ago, but only got to test it last week.

I tried it first with the stock plug and puc, couldn't cycle a single shot. Using Federal 7-1/2 and remington 7-1/2.

This was using the 5/10/12 round mags and the 20 round Drum.

Then I swapped out the the plug for the Vplug

The puc for one I got at CSS (two came, a standard and a magnum, I used the standard puc)

The spring for one also from CSS (seems softer)

On this I got a little better results. The magazines cycled almost all properly on setting 5 on the vplug, but I did experience FTE sometimes where the shell was halfway out.

The Drum failed every time. I even loaded 2 shells in it and it wouldn't cycle. I tried all 3 drums that I have.

I don't know what else to try. The puc's and spring that I got from CSS were before I noticed their low brass kit but it looks like it's the same parts.

I've the numerous posts about this, I don't know to measure the holes or even how to fix it even if I understood the problem.

Should I send the bolt to get polished. Anyone in the denver/fort collins area who knows to make a saiga 12 purr you can recommend? I talked to a couple gun stores and they knew nothing about these bad boys.

Regards

Should I call pauly? Cycling problems

Hello,

On the maiden voyage, the saiga failed me big time.

I bought it converted a while ago, but only got to test it last week.

I tried it first with the stock plug and puc, couldn't cycle a single shot. Using Federal 7-1/2 and remington 7-1/2.

This was using the 5/10/12 round mags and the 20 round Drum.

Then I swapped out the the plug for the Vplug

The puc for one I got at CSS (two came, a standard and a magnum, I used the standard puc)

The spring for one also from CSS (seems softer)

On this I got a little better results. The magazines cycled almost all properly on setting 5 on the vplug, but I did experience FTE sometimes where the shell was halfway out.

The Drum failed every time. I even loaded 2 shells in it and it wouldn't cycle. I tried all 3 drums that I have.

I don't know what else to try. The puc's and spring that I got from CSS were before I noticed their low brass kit but it looks like it's the same parts.

I've the numerous posts about this, I don't know to measure the holes or even how to fix it even if I understood the problem.

Should I send the bolt to get polished. Anyone in the denver/fort collins area who knows to make a saiga 12 purr you can recommend? I talked to a couple gun stores and they knew nothing about these bad boys.

Regards

The Profile of GlassBolt is specifically done the way it is to reduce friction from the top shell in the mag that's pressing against the bolt.

The fact that a drum is having issues would indicate that this may be an issue for you.

Tha MD-20 is the most dependable US made mag out there in my experience, but the drums do have more spring tension, therefore more resistance against the bolt than stick mags.

These are some of the testimonials posted regarding the before & after difference in a borderline undergassed gun with no port work from just GlassBolt;

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/61900-paulys-glass-bolt-special/page__view__findpost__p__653891

Folks -

Just a quick "customer testimonial" here. I had an out-of-the-box S12, no work done on it other than a Gasfixers plug and new tappet, it cycled most stuff fine, but Federal bulk pack was iffy at best. On setting 3 (the max) on the plug, it would sometimes cycle, but if it did it wouldn't cock the hammer. I was doing a lot of things to it at once (including an Ironwood furniture set), so I sent my bolt/carrier and Tapco G2 trigger to Pauly for the glassbolt service (I also dropped in a JTE mainspring from CSS). When it came back, it looked great. Even better was the performance! The bolt moves so smoothly now and the trigger is so slick it is amazing. Even better... Federal bulk pack cycles right through on setting 2 on the gas plug!

Thanks Pauly for doing such a great service at such a reasonable price!

J.Ja

Polish job works great Pauly! Thanks again!

I couldn't even get this RIO low recoil to fire through my remington 1100, but if you watch the video it works ok in my S12 now!

Got mine back - after i finally made up my mind....

WTF is anyone else waiting for?????????

Get off your asses and send your parts to Pauly - I was truly impressed out of the box but I finally got to shoot the gun with my Glass Bolt, I had my gun shooting well before but now - the extractor tuning if unf----ing real. it took me a bit to truly appreciate the function improvements - i'm really skeptical, so I kept making excuses and telling myself that I just hadn't shot it for a while. Then I let my buddy dump a mag on our little makeshift course of clays and paper targets. He starts getting all excited telling me everything I just thought - the lock time, cyclic speed and overall feel greatly improved.

Thanks Pauly -

However, if you're ridiculously undergassed, that should also be addressed.

Do try it with the factory puck to see if there's a difference.

Glassbolt simply keeps power in the cycle that would otherwise have been wasted.

It makes it so less gas is required to cycle the weapon resulting in less stress on the internals of the gun.

I send free carbon steel port gauge wires with each GlassBolt so you'll know where you stand there too if you choose to go with Glassbolt.

This enables the user to know where they stand rather than blindly over-gassing their guns.

Whatever you decide to do, all the best. :up:

• Like 1

#1, check to see how many fully uncovered ports you have. If you have at least 3 you are probably getting enough gas, you probably just have too much friction in the action.

#2, remove unnecessary friction from the action. There is PLENTY of info on here of how do do this yourself if you are willing to read enough to understand how the gun works and confident enough in your knowledge and skill with a dremel. I did a self job on mine in under half an hour and it improved fucntioning greatly.

#3, try another puck, preferably a Booster Puck, and either a V-Plug or Auto-Plug.

Thanks Guys for all this info. Thanks Pauly for responding.

I think I'll actually try all the suggestions. I didn't think of swapping out the pucs for the testing to get a baseline, looks like this will take longer than I thought.

I'm off now to find the faq on the gas ports, just to make sure I got what is a minimum...

One more question, not sure about how the law on this is, but can I send Pauly the whole gun to work his magic? Not sure I have the know how to take out the trigger group and the other pinned parts.

Thanks again, I'll let y'all know how this unfolds.

Edited by reapur

The two pucks you receiived from CSS are twister pucks, he no longer carries them and the company went out of business. I would NEVER install them in your gun again. They were notorious for causing cycling problems and getting stuck in the gun, I know first hand. Good luck and keep us informed of the progress.

reapur,

Let us know where you are. There may be someone nearby that can assist you with the disassembly of the weapon or help you make it run. You can only send the whole weapon (or serial numbered receiver) to a FFL holder.