Used to be that whenever someone/some website asked me what I did for a hobby, I responded with the typical, hunt/hike/camp/beat my buddies with a big stick(SCA, lol).

But the more I look back, the more I realize that most everything in my past(hobbies and occupations) all tend to incorporate themselves into Survival/Preparedness in some way or another. So now when I'm asked "What do you do for fun?" I find myself relpying with "Prepare for SHtF/End o' the World" or some such. generally the worst I get is an odd look, some people get really intrigued and ask more. I think there is a growing apprehension, even among the typical sheeple of the world.

I actually enjoy running through various scenarios in my head and discussing it all with other like minded folks. While the topic has been growing in acceptance, esp now that the .gov has sort of endorsed it, I think listing it as a hobby on facebook, etc, should be our next step.

Just a few stray thoughs... YMMV

• Like 1

I tend to keep all of my survival / weapons related interests away from Facebook.

I have been told that employers look at your Facebook & I don't need some liberal sissy bastard boss hiring someone else over me because I am too hard core.

I tend not to discuss any of my hobbies on the internet for concern of getting put on some gestapo government list or some douche breaking into my house & trying to rob me.

Simply put, I do not "advertise".

There seems to be more & more people these days that make their way through life by robbing others.

It's amazing how much work some people will do just so they don't have to work.

And when the government starts rounding people up for their re-education camps, I prefer to not be on their "potential enemies" list.

The way I see it, if it was proven that the government was responsible for what happened on 9-11, I would be apalled but I would not be surprised.

• Like 2

i have a survival / preparedness / resistance mindset that must be a part of my dna. as a family we do our best to prepare for every possible situation. of course money is always the limiting factor . i feel mental preparation is equally important. one must have the resolve / clarity of mind to do what is necessary in a given situation. i talk with my family often about possible scenarios and what the masses or govt. reactions might be.

timing is very high on my list, as i have five children. digging in vs. un-assing the a.o. could be a terminal decision.

the five g's

God

guns ( these are the more important precious metals, brass, lead, and gun steel )

groceries ( this should include portable water purification )

gear ( this should include NBC equip. and copious amounts of medical and hygiene supplies )

gold ( in my case silver )

I learned from my Father and Grandfather how to do things by hand, and have the hand tools to do the job (many are 100 years old and still work!). I see so many survival threads, but damn few list the most important tools for long term survival - An axe, shovel, hand saws, chisels, adz, mattock, bits and brace, draw knife etc! Pretty much what the settlers were required to carry on a wagon train. Once you live through the initial SHTF, can you rebuild and feed yourself and family without the grid and without Safeway or Home Depot?

• Like 1

Used to be that whenever someone/some website asked me what I did for a hobby, I responded with the typical, hunt/hike/camp/beat my buddies with a big stick(SCA, lol).

But the more I look back, the more I realize that most everything in my past(hobbies and occupations) all tend to incorporate themselves into Survival/Preparedness in some way or another. So now when I'm asked "What do you do for fun?" I find myself relpying with "Prepare for SHtF/End o' the World" or some such. generally the worst I get is an odd look, some people get really intrigued and ask more. I think there is a growing apprehension, even among the typical sheeple of the world.

I actually enjoy running through various scenarios in my head and discussing it all with other like minded folks. While the topic has been growing in acceptance, esp now that the .gov has sort of endorsed it, I think listing it as a hobby on facebook, etc, should be our next step.

Just a few stray thoughs... YMMV

There is a definate trend of people seeing the bottom dropping out fast. The problem is that there are so many different bottoms dropping out in so many different ways it can be problematic to prepare for them all. I mean how do you prepare for longer, harder hurricane seasons? Harsher El Ninos? More and stranger tornados? Massive monozygotic crop failure due to insufficient genetic diversity of staple crops?

There are so many potential problems in the future that it is difficult to seperate the wheat from the chaff. The scenerios you prepare for tend to reflect your own biases and worldview. (For example, my mom is the biz manager for a major environmental research institute. I tend to get a lot of global warming doom and gloom from her. OTOH she does actively encourage California to fall into the ocean. . .)

What's facebook? Just kidding, but I don't partake in any of those type of social media websites. If I did I probably wouldn't advertise anything I do as far as survival or preparedness in that type of forum. People who don't "get it" tend to form negative opinions of any kind of survivalist activity even though most of us are not the hardcore types with concrete bunkers in our backyards. I stockpile a few things like food and fuel, medical supplies, ammunition, etc. but I just call that "being prudent". I don't even consider it a hobby. It's just how I live and I don't consider it to be of interest to anyone else.