Greetings. Was wondering if my fellow Georgians could recommend a decent AK gunsmith on the North side of Atlanta? I've got some minor issues I would like to have addressed with one of my rifles, but don't want to take it to some fudd who only knows "AK's are them commie rifles"!

Would appreciate some help!

I know of a good gunsmith on the south side of atlanta, Ray from Moss Pawn in Jonesboro. Hopifully you'll find someone closer though. Good luck!

Greetings. Was wondering if my fellow Georgians could recommend a decent AK gunsmith on the North side of Atlanta? I've got some minor issues I would like to have addressed with one of my rifles, but don't want to take it to some fudd who only knows "AK's are them commie rifles"!

Boba, I've got a canted front sight. I probably could fix it myself, but I dont even have a vise to clamp it in to smack it around with a hammer. Hand tools and power tools yes, vise and shop tools no....

May try and give Saigatech a pm

I know he is a wizard with the AK platform, but I hate to bother folks. Was hoping to find someone who does it for a business and is used to being contacted by potential customers.

I know of a good gunsmith on the south side of atlanta, Ray from Moss Pawn in Jonesboro. Hopifully you'll find someone closer though. Good luck!

Give Ray at Moss a call and ask him if he knows anyone closer to you. He is a good guy and does good work on AKs and Saigas.

Decided to give David McDonald a try over at Adventure Outdoors in Smyrna. My AK is there as we speak and sometime next week we will see how it turns out. Read a couple of good posts about him at AR15.com so hopefully things will get taken care of...

• 2 years later...

Long overdue update to this thread. If you have AK issues stay the fuck away from David McDonald at Adventure Outdoors. I know  more about AK gunsmithing than that fucker does. If it ain't a AR or a 1911 he fucking sneers at you, does a hack job on the work, and then hands you back your AK problem to get it fixed elsewhere.

Also, stay the fuck away from the Deer Creek Gun shop in Marietta. If it ain't a muzzle loader those inbred rubes running that shop just scratch their heads and hand your weapon back to you like they just looked at a fucking plasma rifle in the 40 watt range....016.gif 

BTW - still seeking a competent AK gunsmith in the N. Atlanta area if anybody know of one. Bill Hallyar was recommended to me, anyone know of his work?

Edited by Jpanzer
  • Like 1

you  may not like me or believe it, but i know a shitton about this gun. i might be in atlanta next springish.

you are a member of the forum and customer for years, I have no problem giving my advice to you

Edited by Ben Vampatella

Hey Ben, have no problems with you personally, bought a S12 back in the day from Tom Cole when you were still affiliated with him.

Anyway, I have a canted optics rail on one of my AK's, it needs to be repositioned level so I can accurately sight in any red dot I use with it. Right now it's higher in the front than the back, throwing the zero off. I need a smith that has worked on AK's before, knows what the hell he is doing, and is willing to do a re-rivet job and whatever else it takes to fix it.

Hoping to get it fixed before next spring though....

Is it really that far to drive from N. ATL to S. ATL to see a guy that comes highly recommended?  I live an hour from Denver and hate every second of what little time I spend in Denver.  But, I would not hesitate to drive there for the services of a highly recommended smith.  $.02

I say buy a dead blow hammer and vise. If its just a canted sight that should be easy. Now the rail, that's the hard part are you dead set on the side rail? There's the tws rail cover and just plain rail you could weld up the holes and use one of the rails from them. Just a suggestion. I'm about 40 miles north of atl I'd help you, I've moved the sight back on my s308 and threaded it so I got a little experience with making sure the sight isn't canted. As far as rivets I've never fooled with them but I'm thinking about getting a tws top cover and if I do ill be removing the rail and welding it up. Only worry is the rear rivet for the rail is also holding the trunnion in place so if I have to remove 33% of the rear trunnions rivets I think ill get a new fixed stock trunnion since I cut the tang on my current fixed stock trunnion.

Is it really that far to drive from N. ATL to S. ATL to see a guy that comes highly recommended?  I live an hour from Denver and hate every second of what little time I spend in Denver.  But, I would not hesitate to drive there for the services of a highly recommended smith.  $.02

Big John, if you had a clue about Atlanta traffic you would understand my reluctance. I actually live about 35 miles North of Atlanta. I venture downtown every year or so to see a concert or two, but since the Thrashers moved to Winnipeg I stay the hell out of Atlanta as much as I can. With traffic just driving downtown can take a hour and half, and Jonesboro is a good 25 miles south of Atlanta.

A fellow member over at the AK Files reccommended a smith named Bill Hayllar who lives in the Sandy Springs area, which is much more doable for me. I wish I knew more about the the guy....

Edited by Jpanzer

Big John, if you had a clue about Atlanta traffic you would understand my reluctance. I actually live about 35 miles North of Atlanta. I venture downtown every year or so to see a concert or two, but since the Thrashers moved to Winnipeg I stay the hell out of Atlanta as much as I can. With traffic just driving downtown can take a hour and half, and Jonesboro is a good 25 miles south of Atlanta.

A fellow member over at the AK Files reccommended a smith named Bill Hayllar who lives in the Sandy Springs area, which is much more doable for me. I wish I knew more about the the guy....

I grew up in San Diego and drove truck there, LA, you name it.  You just need to pick the time and day you travel.  Looks like you've been messing with this for 2 years.  I think I'd bite the bullet and git her done.  I get pissy if something is wrong with any of my firearms.  So the canted sight's would have been fixed long ago if it were me.  Can you ship it to him, then pick it up in person?

Yeah, this rifle shoots great and is put together fairly well, just had a couple of minor issues like a canted front sight block I had to get fixed and the damn crooked side rail I'm dealing with now. Neither are that major, but I don't know any home AK builders around here and as I have documented most gunsmiths around my area look at AK's as if they are alien technology...

Panzer, I do Atlanta traffic on a regular basis..trust me, Ray at Moss Pawn is worth the traffic if you want it done right. I think someone mentioned shipping it to him and picking it up in person..is that a possibility?

Ray really is that good!!

• Like 1