How to maintain an Saiga 12?

I bought my first gun, a Saiga 12 yesterday. (Best Independence day yet) I'm about to shoot it for the first time and have a friend sight help me sight it in. I want to care for it generously, so I would appreciate input on how to best maintain it. I plan to clean it after shooting, but don't have any cleaning materials and I would like to know what I should clean it with/ tips for cleaning a Saiga 12.

TIA to all constructive responses,

-Mason

I bought my first gun, a Saiga 12 yesterday. (Best Independence day yet) I'm about to shoot it for the first time and have a friend sight help me sight it in. I want to care for it generously, so I would appreciate input on how to best maintain it. I plan to clean it after shooting, but don't have any cleaning materials and I would like to know what I should clean it with/ tips for cleaning a Saiga 12.

TIA to all constructive responses,

-Mason

It is a combat shotgun.

1-clean the gas puck/housing.

2-Lubricate.

3-shoot the pizz out of it.

I have shot bizzions of rounds through mine, never cleaned (except for gas assy) and pop the top cover and hose it w/ rem-oil once in a while.

Runs 100%

Running a brush down the bbl, imho, does nothing as far as longevity. Removing T-pack and cleaning does nothing unless it is gunked up w/ sludge/crud. It is not a tight-tolerenced AR-15/M16 that need to be stripped and thoroughly cleaned.

I am sure 99% of the people here are going to disagree how I treat my personal weapon (S12)....this is all just my humble opinion.

• Like 2

This, its pretty much the only area that gets build up that can become a problem. Clean it out after every session. I tend to wipe down and clean of the bolt and bolt carrier just about every time, relube the moving parts, and occasionally run a brush through the barrel when it looks ugly, but none of that has much of an impact compared to keeping the gas chamber clean.

A basic shotgun cleaning kit should cost you like $10-15 and have most of what you need, usually contains:

1. Cleaning rod

2. Copper Brush

3. Jag

4. Solvent

5. Lube

6. Cleaning Patches

You can buy the components individually, the Saiga technically comes with its own cleaning rod and jag (and that nylon brush). I also highly reccomend Q-tips, the do all tool of apply chemicals or wiping down your smaller components.

Use the solvent to disolve carbon build up and softer metals like lead and copper, then wipe dry, without getting it everywhere, you can do this for the gas block and the barrel. Use a drop of oil on your moving parts to reduce friction and to protect them from corrosion, and wipe of any excess.

• Like 1

Light grease on sliding surfaces

Oil or transmission fluid on rotating surfaces

Tornado brush for removing heavy fouling in the barrel

Tapered pick to clean out the ports

Tipton Bore Solvent to dissolve heavy fouling in the gas block & barrel helps if you want it really clean. But don't get Tipton on your paint or any polymer because it can eat that too.

• Like 3

Most of the above cleaning/lubricating solvents are good suggestions.

Personally, I use CLP for all general cleaning/lubrication. It works well and it won't take off the so-so factory finish, (as even Hoppe's #9 can). You really don't need anything stronger than that unless you've fired a significant number of slugs; which will leave lead fouling in your barrel, (some brands are worse than others). Regardless, you won't have that problem anytime soon. ;)

As for tools, I usually just use a 12-ga BoreSnake and some basic patches or even paper towels. I don't need any rods or the associated attachments as the 'Snake does a thorough job and is a lot faster, (maybe 5 passes), and I don't need Q-Tips cause the folded corner of a patch works just as well, (this ain't an AR you're cleaning :D ).

A cleaning duster, (canned air), is useful to blast the crap out of the gas block and dry fouling out of the receiver. An air compressor is more ideal, but not required. The included cleaning rod can be handy for knocking a stuck, (dirty), gas puck forward out of the tube when necessary.

ymmv.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 1

I've found that cutting up plain white t shirts purchased from wal mart makes great cleaning patches, I cut mine into 6X6 squares and when I want to really clean the barrel (usually I just run a bore snake through it), I shove a entire patch soaked in solvent down the barrel. The nice thing about the cut up shirts is you can machine wash them. Other than that I give a quick wipe down to the internals and oil the hell out of it.

Shit sorry people I tried editing my above post, apparently I replied to it.

Edited by yooper14.5
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions, though I'm not sure what to buy/use and where to apply it. I'm a novice to firearms, my step dad in the house doesn't own one yet, and my mom is on wait to get her handgun. My saiga has been in its safe overnight without cleaning after yesterday's session of only 15 rounds or so. Is that bad? Today I'm going to try and pick up some cleaning materials and learn how to best clean it/ lubricate it? I haven't fully disassembled it yet but I am willing to for maintenance and cleaning.

what can I use to clean the barrel?

what about the gas tube?

Other pieces I should take care of and what to clean them with?

what do I lubricate it with?

Should anything be wiped down/ dried off?

sorry this has all probably been answered but i'm confused.

Remove the gas puck, go wash it off in the sink, scrape off any carbon residue/buildup present in the blowby rings. Dump out any crud present in the gas block and stick a paperclip in the gas ports to make sure they aren't blocked. Stick the puck back in the block and using a cleaning rod push the puck back and forth in the block to remove any residue on the walls of the gas block. Re-install the gas plug and that's it. S12 does not require any lubrication or cleaning to the BCG, bolt, etc.

RTFM!

First hit on a search:

Realtime Traffic Flow Management

I'm sure thats just what he needs...

Have you ever read the Saiga 12 manual? I know I did, because thats the first thing I do whenever I buy a new gun. The Saiga 12 manual is not just extremely brief and poorly translated, but its primarily aimed at military and security personell who already know what they are doing, not someone who just picked up his first gun ever. Its not like an American gun aimed at civilians that comes with a 50 page manual, half of which is repeated warnings that read something like "warning: failure to follow these instructions will result in you killing yourself and 32 innocent bystanders in a 5 mile radius."

• Like 2

Thats Read The Factory Manual. I usually mean fucking manual but to each his own. Like when someone buys a car and don't bother reading the manuals and shit don't work how they imagine it should instead they waste multiple peoples time cause they take it back to the shop saying it must be broken. There is quite a bit of info in factory manuals. Lol. Wish I could read Russian

Update on my Saiga 12:

I was right, a lot of my questions have been answered, but I'm a little slow - I apologize.

I have read the decently-translated manual a few more times (besides the first 3/4ths of it that only says BE CAREFUL BE CAREFUL BE CAREFUL LOOK OUT DON'T DO THAT SHIT WITH YOUR GUN YOU'LL KILL EVERYBODY) and started to understand things better with a little studying.

I unscrewed the gas stopper and let the piston slide out, then ran the bristle brush that came with the gun through the gas tube. What is the bristle brush meant to be used for? same as a copper brush?

Then my neighbor let me borrow his kit and gave me some brief instructions. I ran a copper brush dipped in clear "Outers (brand) Nitro Solvent Bore Cleaner" through the barrel into the receiver and back a number of times. I was told to use this because he said Hoppes 9 would eat the finish.

Then I replaced the copper brush with a jag? on the rod and rolled up some cotton pads and ran them through it. I ran that rod through the barrel while twisting it til I got very little black grease on the pad.

The gun is currently laying on a towel stripped down like in this

I've got the Outers "rust preventative Gun Oil" which "lubricates and protects".

Where should I go from here? Should I do the same with the gas tube as the barrel? I was told the oil would do a good job of preserving every part of the gun but I wasn't sure how much to put on what parts. Thanks to everyone here who offers advice, I appreciate it.

Also, is there a wrong way to put the piston in the gas tube? I noticed there is one side that looks like it has threads under the lip in one of the recesses of the ("puck"?)

2-Lubricate.

Running a brush down the bbl, imho, does nothing as far as longevity. Removing T-pack and cleaning does nothing unless it is gunked up w/ sludge/crud.

1. Gas puck = piston (in the gas tube behind the stopper) right?

2. What parts do you/ anyone here recommend lubricating?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=a_uYxVM-gGQ sorry if someone else has posted this...phone rang

That video looks like it's been down for a while..

("gas puck/housing"), its pretty much the only area that gets build up that can become a problem. Clean it out after every session. I tend to wipe down and clean of the bolt and bolt carrier just about every time, relube the moving parts, and occasionally run a brush through the barrel when it looks ugly, but none of that has much of an impact compared to keeping the gas chamber clean.

Use a drop of oil on your moving parts to reduce friction and to protect them from corrosion, and wipe of any excess.

Thanks a lot for this post. Could you maybe specify which parts I should go for with lube? I've got the oil mentioned above to use as lube in a dropper bottle and spray. How should I apply it? Put some on cloth pads maybe?

Tipton Bore Solvent to dissolve heavy fouling in the gas block & barrel helps if you want it really clean. But don't get Tipton on your paint or any polymer because it can eat that too.

What kind of grease? And what's a "tapered pick" look like?

Google ATAC TV. They have online videos with Jim Fuller of Rifle Dynamics where they have a series of videos on cleaning and an Armorers series specific to the Saiga 12. Very informative. Just what you are looking for.

J

I started to watch some of that, and it's interesting but they went as far as taking off the gas tube and safety/trigger assembly which I didn't know how to do, but I understood the basics +1 thanks a lot.

Personally, I use CLP for all general cleaning/lubrication. It works well and it won't take off the so-so factory finish, (as even Hoppe's #9 can).

A cleaning duster, (canned air), is useful to blast the crap out of the gas block and dry fouling out of the receiver. An air compressor is more ideal, but not required. The included cleaning rod can be handy for knocking a stuck, (dirty), gas plug forward out of the tube when necessary.

What's CLP?

Thanks for all this info!

Remove the gas puck, go wash it off in the sink, scrape off any carbon residue/buildup present in the blowby rings.

Blowby rings? thanks for the tips.

RTFM!

First hit on a search:

Realtime Traffic Flow Management

I'm sure thats just what he needs...

Have you ever read the Saiga 12 manual? I know I did, because thats the first thing I do whenever I buy a new gun. The Saiga 12 manual is not just extremely brief and poorly translated, but its primarily aimed at military and security personell who already know what they are doing, not someone who just picked up his first gun ever. Its not like an American gun aimed at civilians that comes with a 50 page manual, half of which is repeated warnings that read something like "warning: failure to follow these instructions will result in you killing yourself and 32 innocent bystanders in a 5 mile radius."

lol, this is true. the manual actually is mostly warnings telling you what not to do which are 95% common sense.

I usually gun lube or a lil wheel bearing grease the rails and oil contact points. No lube or oil on bolt face,and none on the gas piston or areas exposed to gas .just about everything else gets a light coat wiped off with a clean rag so there is a very light coat. I do the barrel like anyone else.

What kind of grease? And what's a "tapered pick" look like?

Here's a link to more than you'd ever want to know about firearms lubrication

Also, these picks are usually about $2.50 at harbor freight by the checkstand; imagesqtbnANd9GcQEtda3T79wpFRCy1S6E32D6j9giNJsj4zeCelHCzlUNlT7no1v.jpg

• Like 1

Congrats on your First gun purchase, nice choice by the way.

Since cleaning has been pretty well covered and honestly I think theres something WAY more important you should be concerned with first Id just like to add I think you should read this

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Gun_safety

Then read it again and again, especially the part about instilling a certain mindset and appropriate habits by following specific rules.

I had a whole speech about gun safety typed up but it was too preachy, just remember this is the most important factor in gun ownership. One mistake, one screw up and you or someone close to you IS DEAD. There is no second chance with gun safety. Seek some safety training, and instill these basic safety practices in your mind!! This cant be stressed ENOUGH to a new gun owner. Also This is coming from a true concern for you and yours not to say your irresponsible or anything, so dont take it the wrong way please.

Welcome to the board, you'll find most here very helpful if you do your part. Asking 25 questions in one post about things that could easily be answered by searching isnt the best way to get help thoughwink.gif

• Like 1

This is how you maintain/clean your Saiga

Excellent post.

imho, those AK varients are designed to be hammered and put away wet. Some lube, light cleaning if needed, but nothing meticulous....that's not what they were designed for.

My personal gun is being torture tested, and she is holding strong and still runs 110%....never been cleaned (just gas puck) and runs and runs and runs.

Again, just my opinion.

On the flip side, there is nothing wrong with immacuatly cleaning the s12 and lubing it precisely....I just prefer not to on MY gun......don't feel it needs it.

Now on my M16's? That's a different story....everytime fired (heavily) clean spotlessly, new gas rings, new extractor spring, check T-pack for wear, etc.

• Like 1

Yes, I read the manual..not as bad as many I've read and sufficient but to each his own.

Welcome aboard and have fun learning just as I am.

BTW is yours converted or are you planning to do it yourself? If the later, the videos as CSS were most helpful to me and George is fantastic to deal with!!!!!

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...