Where can i find a Saiga 20 for sale?

I have been looking around and i was just wondering where i can find a saiga 20 for a decent price. 12's are going for 650, .410's are going in the 300's, so i was a significant difference from the 12 if im going to get it, because if its within a hundred dollars or so, im just going to get a 12.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Get the 12. If you shoot it often, you will make up the difference in shell prices within a year.

I bought a Saiga 20 off a guy yesterday and went to buy shells afterwards. The selection and prices on the 20 ga shells is almost identical to the 12 ga shells out here in Phoenix.

There are a ton more accessories for the 12 though if that matters to you.

I have been looking around and i was just wondering where i can find a saiga 20 for a decent price. 12's are going for 650, .410's are going in the 300's, so i was a significant difference from the 12 if im going to get it, because if its within a hundred dollars or so, im just going to get a 12.

Thanks.

went to a gun show in Norfolk Va. And saw one priced at 539+. I don't recall the dealer. At that price I'd get the 12. Not to mention the bs with finding mags and accesories

Yeah... But the 20;s convert JUST like the .223 ans X39, and 410.... SIMPLY!

That in itself is a bonus as far as conversions go!!!! :up:

:smoke:

Yes and no...

The 20 is an interesting mish-mash of S12 and S410/standard AKM parts. S12 style bolt, gas system, mag placement & only style-ish with center support ( square block that also is the ejector tip); S410 mag catch, BHO, rails, and again style-ish with the center support (while square, it's a bar & not a full block like the S12).

Reason for pointing this out is that if you're just reworking the original trigger guard and tucking it behind the mag catch or using a bolt on version like CSS sells (yes!), but if you want to rivet on an AK74 trigger guard assembly - think again... With my S410 I just popped the dimpled catch lever and swapped it into a spare trigger guard, drilled off the existing catch and riveted on a OE military triggerguard/mag catch assembly. Piece of cake, except for having to fab up a S410 unique press block that is narrow enough to fit between uber-wide 410 rails.

The S20 has the same mag catch assy as the S410, but it's moved about 1/4" forward on the receiver as compared to the S410. An original style military trigger guard won't go the 20 ga. Standard AKM pattern receivers have the back of "catch" portion of the trigger guard darn near directly under the centerline of the hammer pin as seen in the pic I snagged off of the Russian website:

saiga410k.jpg

The S20 has the same catch, but moved forward on the receiver, as can be seen here:

saiga20k.jpg

Not knowing this, I was planning on swapping my extra '74 trigger guard onto the S20 - but to rivet a new trigger guard on would mean removing the mag catch, center support/ejector block, AND optic rail. The catch was riveted on first, the ejector block will only fit into position after those rivets have been squished (see that rivet head above the mag catch and below the optic rail in the S20 pic - that's a second center support rivet to keep the block from torquing around when the spent shells hit the ejector tip), and the optic rail covers up the main center support rivet. In reverse, to rivet a new trigger guard requires removing the center support, and removing the center support requires removing the optic rail. Even if you were willing to go to all that work, a '74 trigger guard wouldn't match up with the rear trigger guard rivet hole in the receiver...it would be about 1/4" too far forward. With that said, I think that's why the pics of the Russian military S20 look like they just tucked the actual trigger guard inside front side of the mag catch housing, and that's just what I did with mine.

So, Indy is absolutely correct about it being a simple conversion, and perhaps even simpler to try and make it authentic looking, but technically speaking, the full conversion to military specs for the S20 is a little different than the S410, x39, or .223. Admittedly nit-picking here, but the difference between the S20 & S410 caught me a little off guard when I figured it out, so it seemed worthy of sharing...

As to the original question - Gunbroker has had a handful on lately at reasonable prices ($450ish shipped), and keep watching the other various forums' B/S/T sections - that's where I found mine a couple weeks ago ($380 shipped).

Cheers, and good luck with your hunt - it's worth the effort!

;)