Question about MSA .223 mag adapters

could they be made to work by milling down the adapter and mags them selves in lue of the rifle's turrion? or is there some special reason not to do this that i'm unaware of?

Edited by Joebanks

i believe that you could do that if you wished too, the only problem would be that you could only use modified magazines. That is probably not an issue for you, but I would want to use any AR magazine that I find in my gun.

I understand people that have an AR and want to share mags, and I agree a certain level of modification to a Saiga's stock feed setup is a good thing, like a chamber bevel an is defiantly a go, but by what I've seen you've got to hardcore mill to make an AR mag make an AK go bang, and that's not really something I'm comfortable with. Me being without an AR, I'd rather just mod the mags. And if you're referring to a SHTF scenario and you're going to be picking up enemy combatant's Mags my guess is at that point there will be plenty of AR rifles lying around beside the Mags you'll be finding, if necessary.

i'm not one of those guys big on SHTF day, but I think I would try and contact Nathan in the MSA forum to be sure what you want to do will work. I think it should work but better to be safe than sorry.

Me being without an AR, I’d rather just mod the mags.

If you don't have an AR, and don't want to use standard, unmodified AR mags, why bother? It's not like AR mags are superior to good AK mags; in fact, quite the reverse.

Edited by Jim Digriz

Not to mention, you've contradicted yourself in a way. If you plan on AR mags being somewhat readily available (I won't argue with you there), do you also plan on modifying those battlefield liberations under fire? :angel:

• Like 1

Me being without an AR, I'd rather just mod the mags.

If you don't have an AR, and don't want to use standard, unmodified AR mags, why bother? It's not like AR mags are superior to good AK mags; in fact, quite the reverse.

It may be true that AK mags are more reliable than AR mags, but good AR mags are considerably cheaper than good 223 AK mags and may be plenty reliable. If you're going to get a bunch of mags, you can pay for the adapter and then some.

Also, some people aren't that stoked about "rock and lock." Not having a 223, I havent made my mind up. But I have thought about it and wondered the same thing as the O.P.

Edited by Dudethebagman

This topic has been addressed before.... and subject to debate.

The suggestion was made to remove material from the AR mag around the front feed area. IF you do this you will allow the follower to tilt. When the bolt rides home it strips a round and simultaneously applies downward pressure. Effectively causing the rounds to nosedive. This may not happen with all mags (some springs are stronger) but it's a risk I'd rather not take. The follower and spring work in unison along with friction against the front wall to stay level. If your inclined to deal with FTFs and possibly a accidental primer strike then.....

The trunnions on the .223 rifle is a not the same as seen in many other rifles. Lets use a Norinco for example. If you measure the width of the trunnion you will find it is much wider than the Saiga import to where you can slip an AR mag right in. Does this mean it's any less safe? NO, it means there are different specs to the trunnions. Just do it right and you'd be fine.

This topic has been addressed before.... and subject to debate.

The suggestion was made to remove material from the AR mag around the front feed area. IF you do this you will allow the follower to tilt. When the bolt rides home it strips a round and simultaneously applies downward pressure. Effectively causing the rounds to nosedive. This may not happen with all mags (some springs are stronger) but it's a risk I'd rather not take. The follower and spring work in unison along with friction against the front wall to stay level. If your inclined to deal with FTFs and possibly a accidental primer strike then.....

The trunnions on the .223 rifle is a not the same as seen in many other rifles. Lets use a Norinco for example. If you measure the width of the trunnion you will find it is much wider than the Saiga import to where you can slip an AR mag right in. Does this mean it's any less safe? NO, it means there are different specs to the trunnions. Just do it right and you'd be fine.

Might I ask, Nate, what you've encountered with the SLR-106 in particular (trunnion milling, installation, etc.) and your adapter?

Well price point is basically why i'd be switching to AR mags,

But cracking my turret or modded mags that don't work? neither will help me.

that having been said, without any experience with this, i heard that Pmags are zero tilt what would half and inch off the front for maybe quarter of an inch deep change? they're 12$$ so defiantly cheaper than weigers or 10's. Am not saying i'm right i'm legitimately asking cause i don't know, i do know that would not create a change in most mags though because I've done it.

Additional point: What would that have to do with the follower, because it will be deep inside the mag "depending on how many rounds are left" martial off the top should have zero impact at even 3 rounds deep.

Edited by Joebanks

Joe pm me your contact info I'll call. I'm out for a bit and writing a full response from my phone is gonna be a bit frustrating.

In short... There are two possible issues. Accidentally stripping two rounds or a single round nosedive. This is what I tested and discovered when I developed the adapter. Which is why I warn not to. But you are welcome to do it anyway. Just remember the adapter and feed is about feed geometry... Introduce a variable and reliability is compromised.