Saiga 12 first firearm?

Hello, I just registered here. Please bear with me and my newbie questions. I have never owned a firearm and want to change that. I was saving my money to buy a good pump action shotgun, but then I heard about the Saiga 12. I decided maybe I would buy it one day, and I didn't think about it for a little while. Then when I started shopping around for the best price on a Mossberg 500 I mentioned my desire for a Saiga 12, and some guy told me I better buy it now before it becomes an NFA item. I thought I heard they were going to make that decision in May, but I can't find any info on the internet about that.

So I have a few questions for anybody who is willing to answer me. First, is a Saiga 12 good for a first firearm? Second, what do I look for when buying one? Third, did it or is it going to become an NFA item, and if it becomes an NFA item while I own one, will I have to register it and pay the tax?

Thanks for any help or advice. We all have to learn from somewhere...

It's a great gun once you get the bugs worked out so that it wil cycle light bird shot and last I heard there is not going to be a ban on them so as of right now they are ok but if they do classify them as a DD then yes you would have to pay extra....... I'm only new to this particular gun myself but i think I've gotten all my facts straight and welcoome to the world of SAIGA.

Edited by pony_express1973

Saiga as a good first gun? Depends on how handy you are. Some of us get lucky and have a great running shotgun right out of the box. Others don't. You could send it back for warranty (assuming you haven't converted it), or try to fix the problems yourself. There are a lot of sticky thread to show you how to smooth out the operation. If you want a plug-and-play gun, a Mossy or Remmy pump might be a better bet.

A Saiga "can" be a goodfirst firearm if you either have a ton of patience and understanding what it will take to make excellent or you have a ton of money to throw at a professionally converted one. On that note though, unless you have a need for a shotgun then i believe shot guns teach bad habits and poor marksmanship skills and habits. A good AR or AK rifle is where to start and then once you understand the mechanics of shooting you could move into the shotty platform. A glock of Springfield xd is alternate choice if cost is an issue or you want a more short range type weapon. A .45 or .40 has plenty of home defense/ stopping power and again it will teach finer mechanics than a shot gun. Just my opinion based off of military and law enforcement experience. Learning to shoot a pistol properly sets you up for good shooting mechanics, but shooting a rifle first and then going to pistol can make for a more difficult transition. Good luck

• Like 2

Saiga as a good first gun? Depends on how handy you are. Some of us get lucky and have a great running shotgun right out of the box. Others don't. You could send it back for warranty (assuming you haven't converted it), or try to fix the problems yourself. There are a lot of sticky thread to show you how to smooth out the operation. If you want a plug-and-play gun, a Mossy or Remmy pump might be a better bet.

+1 with Lunker. You might get a good running gun right out of the box (I was lucky) or you could get a "Vodka Special" that needs so many tweeks and mods to run that you'll drive yourself crazy trying to get the thing to work without a failure. Then you'll want to do the conversion, which really isn't that hard if you know what your doing but could be a nightmare if you don't have some basic gunsmithing skills or familarizaton with firearms and how they work.

My first shotgun with a Mossy 500 and I loved it, then I got a taste for the Remington 870 while in the service and bought a police special magnum, then I found the SA-12 and the world of shotguns has never been the same. :)

I don't think I'd recommend it as a first firearm, no. I don't think I'd recommend ANY shotgun as a first gun..

Have you ever shot a firearm at all? If not, or if you have very little experience - I'd get a 9mm carbine of some sort first. A Kel-tec sub-2000 or Hipoint carbine are good choices .. maybe an UZI style carbine, if you want something with an edge. The recoil will be much less, and you won't learn bad habits from flinching. Most carbines will be reasonably accurate and will help you develop your shooting technique. The ammunition is MUCH cheaper, so you'll be able to afford to shoot your gun a whole lot and practice with it more so than any type of 12ga. On top of that, but 9mm has enough power that it can be relied on for defence and in that respect is much better than the typical "first gun" which is some type of .22LR.

The S12 platform potentially has a bunch of bugs, and it can be very frustrating even for an experienced owner to get it set up and running right. It is rewarding, and it is one hell of a shotgun once done but I don't think it is a process most new owners are going to want to go through. Does the idea of taking a Dremel tool to the internals of your new, and very first gun turn your stomach? See? You don't want an S12 right away.

Don't worry about the S12 being banned, or going NFA. Yes there is/was a lot of talk about it .. some of it may even make some sense to some people - but the fact is, as imported it meets the sporting definition - it always did. The S12's future is even brighter now than it was last year and if you wait you'll get one for a better price.

That said, if you have some experience shooting and you know you want a shotgun, then I would say get an S12 - but be prepared to have to send it out for warranty work, and be prepared to spend substantial money. They are pricey right now, and if you won't be doing the work and conversion yourself, you're looking at over $1500 after all is said done.

For that level of money, for my FIRST gun .. I would get myself a very fine rifle.

I always considered a .22LR to be the first gun or training gun of choice. Most .22LR rifles and pistols are not too expensive and the ammo costs next to nothing, just gotta make sure to pick up one that works (like 10/22 for a rifle or mark III for a pistol), there are a lot of them out there and not all are created equal. Still first gun also depends on what you need it to do. If you are looking for a home defense weapon then a decent handgun or pump shotgun is going to be your top choice. If you want something for hunting then pick up a weapon appropriate to what kind of hunting you are doing.

A Saiga 12 is still an awesome weapon, and its the perfect weapon for you if you want it just for that reason. Just be ready that it might need a little work if you want to run any cheaper/lower powered shells through it. Aside from awesomeness and maybe needing to spend some more time and/or money on it the platform is simple, durable, and a great learning tool on how an AK works.

If I only had 1 gun it would be a Glock-17.

It's not as romantically appealing as an S-12, but it's rediculously reliable, carries 18 rounds & with a concealed pistol, a person could easily acquire a shotgun or rifle if needed plus, in a anarchic situation it would be much easier to move around without standing out from the crowd & being perceived as a threat. :ph34r:

• Like 1

I totaly agree with pauly if I had just one gun it would be my glock 17 as well. I've shot many thousands of rounds through it and it has never had any problems, it is accurate, and will last longer than you do. You have plenty of time to get an s12 later after you get used to using a handgun. There is just to many thing you have to deal with with an s12, and I fear you would be turned off to firearms in general. Just my opinion. Good luck.

If I only had 1 gun it would be a Glock-17.

It's not as romantically appealing as an S-12, but it's rediculously reliable, carries 18 rounds & with a concealed pistol, a person could easily acquire a shotgun or rifle if needed plus, in a anarchic situation it would be much easier to move around without standing out from the crowd & being perceived as a threat. :ph34r:

+1 a pistol might be a better first gun and a Glock 17 is an awesome pistol. I have one and am extremly happy with it. I also have an S-12 and let me tell you that this gun is a money pit.

Money pit, lol...I like that Raider, never thought of it that way but yes it is a money pit one way or the other. Put money into trying to get it to work or put money into it after you get it to work to trick it out.

+1 on the Glock as well for a first gun, can't go wrong with Austrian perfection. :)

Hello, I just registered here. Please bear with me and my newbie questions. I have never owned a firearm and want to change that. I was saving my money to buy a good pump action shotgun, but then I heard about the Saiga 12. I decided maybe I would buy it one day, and I didn't think about it for a little while. Then when I started shopping around for the best price on a Mossberg 500 I mentioned my desire for a Saiga 12, and some guy told me I better buy it now before it becomes an NFA item. I thought I heard they were going to make that decision in May, but I can't find any info on the internet about that.

i went through a different route than what the others are suggesting. The Saiga12 is my FIRST ever firearm. i've never fired anything ever before i got the saiga. so i've gotten used to the recoil and the odd-ball trigger and its "flaws". but that's the beauty of the S12. you will be FORCED to learn the intricacies of the gun. now the only regret i have is i only have the one factory 5-rounder with no spares (see my never-ending quest for high cap mags in some of my post). i even contemplated on trading my S12 for a USAS12, which can be legally bought here in our country.

after the saiga, i got the XD45. they say the .45 has much recoil for newbies, some said get a 9mm instead. but when i got to shoot it, i go WTF, what recoil are they talking about? this gun shoots so soft. 021.gif

then i bought a .22LR marlin rifle. well this one is just for fun. easy on the pocket lots of bang for the buck. 022.gif

so if you ask me, honestly i'd say get the SAIGA and bring it on.

IMO Getting a Saiga is a lot like buying one of those racing car kits...lots of time and $$$ before you get the results you want. Consider this from my 1st experience...Gun $800. Conversion kit $100. Stock add on $150. Things still on my list probably another $300. That's doing all the work myself and BTW I've been fooling around with guns since I was 11. Oh, I forgot tools that I have and you will need.

So what could you get for around $1350? Well a Glock and a Mossy shotgun. Probably a Glock and a fairly good bolt action rifle. A darn fine AR. A couple of AK's. Lots more bang for you bucks and they will work from the get go.

I really like my Saiga and I got a pretty good one as it handles the cheap stuff better every time I use it but as a 1st gun...No way!

• 2 weeks later...

A Saiga "can" be a goodfirst firearm if you either have a ton of patience and understanding what it will take to make excellent or you have a ton of money to throw at a professionally converted one, or someone nearby that is willing to help :angel: On that note though, unless you have a need for a shotgun then i believe shot guns teach bad habits and poor marksmanship skills and habits. A good AR or AK rifle is where to start and then once you understand the mechanics of shooting you could move into the shotty platform. A glock of Springfield xd is alternate choice if cost is an issue or you want a more short range type weapon. A .45 or .40 has plenty of home defense/ stopping power and again it will teach finer mechanics than a shot gun. Just my opinion based off of military and law enforcement experience. Learning to shoot a pistol properly sets you up for good shooting mechanics, but shooting a rifle first and then going to pistol can make for a more difficult transition. Good luck