Strength of recoil spring

My gun is somewhat overgassed in that I can shoot any skeet load I've tried with the gas regulator at "1". Having just replaced a broken piston rod, I am curious to know how many pounds the Tromix full strength recoil spring is rated. I put one in today and the gun still cycles perfectly with Remington gun club 1200 fps birdshot. I don't know if there are springs available that are more stiff, or where I would find them, but are there springs stiffer than your replacement part that you have found useful in situations such as mine? (Greg Queen emailed me that he thinks the standard original is 20-22 lbs)

Does anyone try to replace the rear recoil spring? It looks like it would be a bear to remove.

The springs that we made were simply a copy of the OEM spring.

I have a few sample springs that are lighter and heavier, but the interest has been too low to run off a production run.

I have no plans to make 2,000 springs and sell five of them.

Tony

Yes. In my gun it didn't offer any advantage over the two position original plug: Everything cycled perfectly on setting "4" including a 7/8 oz 1340 fps "light" load.

But, even 00 buckshot did not cycle on setting "3". So, I went back to the stock regulator.

• 1 month later...

A 26 pound spring was the stiffest I have found so far, and today I had no failures at the range with 224 skeet rounds. Still, no need to adjust the gas setting above "1". Recoil did seem a little less than with the "standard" spring but not a big change.

So, the theory seems fine and stiffer springs might be one way to compensate for an overgassed gun. If I can locate 30 or 35 pound springs somewhere, I will see if these might put me back into the range where the "2" setting is needed for light loads. Theoretically, there might be less wear also.