Just got a 410, Me likey

I just got a Saiga 410 at a PA gun show for $399.

I figured that was a deal so I went for it. I really wanted a S12 but the prices just went to

crazy with them. I saw 3 S-12's and 1 S-410.

Prices of the 12's = $750,$799 and $850

I was told if you can get an S12 for less than $800 its a deal. I just couldn't at time time go for the 12.

So settled for the 410. I was skeptical.

Looking at this gun it seems very simple like it was built in a cave. Like an old muscle car. Simple

but from I heard very reliable. Nothing like Remingtons and Mossbergs that I an used to.

I finally found some 3" 410 and took it to the range.

I tried:

Remington 3" #6 Birdshot

WInchester 3" Slugs

and Federal .410 Handgun 3" Personal Defense (9pellets and 4 Buck)

First purchase was a 15 rd Mag From Miss Auto Arms.

Both the Remington and Winchesters fit but the Federals are too long.

Everything fits in the orginal Mag.

I started with the Birdshot. Wouldn't cycle. Setting was 1 so I put it to 2. No Problems.

Awesome firing shots one after another.

I set it back to #1, and tried the Federals. No problems.

Winchester Slugs, No problem.

I fired about 75 rounds all together. This gun is great.

Now I'm trying to figure out whats next. To convert or not to convert. I was thinking of a Tapco T6 stock,

seems very easy and its the look I like.

However everyone raves about the convertions. Does it make the gun that much better?

Take your time, read through old posts and look through the pics members have posted of their conversions. YES a conversion will make it better in that it restores it back to the geometry and design it was MEANT to operate at. I have converted an S12 and a 7.62 x 39 with help from this forum , its not hard to do if you take the time to get all the info you can. Ultimately convert it because YOU WANT TO! Good luck !

• Like 1

Take your time, read through old posts and look through the pics members have posted of their conversions. YES a conversion will make it better in that it restores it back to the geometry and design it was MEANT to operate at. I have converted an S12 and a 7.62 x 39 with help from this forum , its not hard to do if you take the time to get all the info you can. Ultimately convert it because YOU WANT TO! Good luck !

I knew I was going to get that reply. Well I will definately do the conversion in the future.

Speaking personally, only do the mods that you think will improve the weapon. For example, make sure it cycles reliably. If the Autoplug works on a .410 (I don't know if it does or if there's a .410 specific autoplug), get one so you don't have to manually adjust the gas system. After she cycles utterly reliably, then mess with trigger and buttstock if you don't like the balance.

I plan on using a Rhineland Arms saiga rifle stock set when I get my S12, unless I can find a wire sidefolder (then it's Saiga Scout fore-end and Yugo clone pistol grip). The tiger maple stocks they sell end up very pretty after about 6 coats of boiled linseed oil.

I did almost the same thing you did. I wanted a S12 but settled for a S410 when the prices jumped up. But I have a Taurus Judge magnum with lots of 3" 410 shells laying around anyway so I figured why not.

I think the 410 lighter, less recoil, and more controllable anyway, but then again if I could have got an S12 for the same price I would have : )

I put the tapco stock on mine, If I had it to do over I probally would have went ahead and did the conversion. The tapco stock is easy to install and a little cheaper but I think it puts the pistol grip to far away form the shotguns center of balance.

Mine has cycled Remington birdshot, Federal 000and #4buck, Golden Bear Slugs, and Winchester PDX 410 all on #1 setting with no problems.

I love mine and I am glad I bought it.

I think the 410 lighter, less recoil, and more controllable anyway...

I love mine and I am glad I bought it.

Same here. I really like the 410's reduced recoil for follow-up shots -- I don't get yanked off the mark like with a 12 gauge.

To my mind, the reason to convert it is to get US made parts on it. No one that I know of makes a US trigger group that works in place of the original one. You want the US parts so you can use the Russian 10 round mags as sold by K-Var, without any fears/whining about violating 18 USC 922®. The Russian mags work the best, and hold the shells the Surefire mags do not (like most everything Federal makes, for example). I like the handling of the "de-sporterized" converted guns, but even if you don't care, being able to use the 10 round mags without any potential legal issues is reason enough to convert it to a pistol grip type configuration. Especially now that the mags are (for now) available from a US based source.

Yes, Convert it and make it yours.

As posted above put enough US parts on it so that there are no compliance issues if you use russian made mags.

I converted a 410 for my son. He liked my Saiga 12C Conversion and wanted one just like it in 410.

P1080907.jpg

P1080911.jpg

P1080909.jpg

P1080910.jpg

268.jpg

My son shooting gallon jugs of Jello for his school science project.

Compliance Parts:

Tromix Puck - 1 US Part

K-Var Pistol Grip - 1 US Part

Tapco G2 Trigger (modified by Dinzag) - 3 US Parts

Slotted Flash Hider - 1 US Part

I believe only 5 are required but that gave me 6

Convert away...

sKott

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm definitely going to do the conversion.

Probably within the next 2 months.

The 410 has grown a lot on me. I have more rounds to try out also.

The only negative I have is that 410 shells are harder to find and expensive for the size.

Seems easier and cheaper to shoot a 12 guage.

20 gauge would be bad but I have never even seen one.

sKott, I like the conversion and you got a bunch of dif mags, but why is the rear part of the housing

bare metal? do you have it coated or are you going to paint it?

I do agree that the Russian Mags take everything, the surefire can be finicky.

Once broken in I might try to get the 2.5" Mag and shoot less expensive rounds out of those.

Just curious:

1. What Pistons have you had good luck with?

2. What trigger groups seem to be good?

I am looking for a scope mount I can use with the iron sights. Seems like it is either 1 or another.

Edited by C-Par

Originally the stock was like this

P1070928.jpg

Import Version

P1070956.jpg

Welded the holes up an welded on a pistol grip plate.

P1080076.jpg

Re-profiled the back to accept the Ak100 Sidefolder and smoothed out the welds

P1080075.jpg

Other Side

P1080074.jpg

Installed trigger guard (The bolts were eventually replaced by rivets)

I have not refinsihed it yet. I need to blast it and Moly Resin it. When completed the back will look like My S-12

P1050219.jpg

I have also upped my Mag count

So far I have

3 - 10 Round Russian 3" Counter Mags as pictured Mod 1

3 - 10 Round Russian 3" Solid Body Mags Mod 2

3 - 4 Round Russian 3" Mags

2 - 2 Round Russian 2.5" Mags

I am looking for another 2.5" 4 rounder and 3 - 3: 2 Rounders to complete the set.

sKott

Edited by sKott