German DAG headstamp surplus

Took my S308 to the range today. Lately I've been shooting nothing but German DAG surplus 762x51, shoots better than the brown stuff and isn't as stinky :lolol: ... Anyways, after picking up my brass (I know, not reload-able, just being a nice guy and cleaning up after myself) I took a look at one of the cases and saw this:

5920195827_3d82caa442_b.jpg

During my whole range time, nothing out of the ordinary happened, everything functioned flawlessly and sounded perfect. I'm thinking if the hole was in a different location in the brass it could have made a difference. Oh and keep in mind that the discoloration was there before, it is supposedly from some acids in the cardboard/glue that das Germans used.

Anybody have this happen to them before, or anybody think that this is a serious problem and I should find a new favorite ammo?

ETA: Dirty fingers from cleaning the weapons :killer:

ETA^2: Dent in brass is the usual dent from our lovely S308

Edited by ThirtyAughtSix
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Both DAG and MEN have that corrosion issue. The problems seem to be limited to 93 and 94. If you have 93 or 94, I'd advise removing it from the boxes ASAP; the reports I've seen are that there is something acidic in the cardboard.

Wow, I forgot that I created this thread or the fact that it even happened. Going to the range in the morning and I never even checked all my DAG, have it still loaded in the mags. Guess I will stay up a little later and check them, I don't know if that hole was there before or after firing but if it was before I don't like the idea of gunpowder loose inside my mag, receiver, or anywhere and I also don't like the idea of firing a cartridge that has a hole in the brass.

Oh yeah, thanks for reviving this subject and this batch is in fact 94'

I just took delivery of some DAG from Ammoman. I checked for corrosion and sure enough 10% or more of the cases have corrosion started. Just on the surface. The headstamp on this stuff is MEN93C0009. I've unpacked it all from the battle packs and transfered the good ones into metal ammo cans. Will need to brush the crud off the corroded cases.