Tactical "Thumb Hole" Buttstock

Hello,

Hello,

I purchased a Saiga .308 at auction which I believe to be stock. It has a tacitcal type stock, which I have seen described as a thumbhole stock. I've also seen people on several different forum who say that this type of stock is counted as 2x 922r parts (buttstock and pistol grip). My first question is if this part is in fact a stock part, that likely shipped from the factory. Second question is, if this is not a stock part... does this make it non-922r compliant? I still have to do some more research on my weapon in particular. It came with some Sure Fire 20 Round mags as well, which I believe if loaded in to the stock SAIGA makes it 922r non-compliant. This weapon also came with a bipod and a TASCO scope attached, but I believe that they don't affect the 922r Compliance. I really don't know if the old guy whose estate it came from gave a crap about the 922r compliance and I know very little about this weapons system compared to the AR. Any help would be appreciated. - X6

post-34844-0-12576800-1310347613_thumb.jpg

That certainly doesn't *look* like the factory Saigas I see at the gun stores, so I think the stock is aftermarket.

Assuming NO muzzle device on your rifle and a US-made stock, it appears that *while using US-made high-capacity mags* it is compliant, based on http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance and http://jobson.us/922r/ . However, using NON-US mags, it is not, repeat NOT 922r compliant. Also, if that stock is not US made, the rifle would not be 922r compliant.

If you look at those two links, you'll see that the bipod and scope don't matter at all for 922r compliance. Also, the factory 10-round magazines are not grounds for non-compliance, since they were and are importable (ie, not an issue for 922r).

• Like 1

Thumbhole stocks are deemed to count for 2 parts for 922r purposes yes. No a thumbhole stock does not bring you to worry about 922r.

the 20 round mags DO bring 922r into effect.

your US magazines count as 3 parts, so with your saiga being composed of 15 parts you need 2 more to be compliant.

you could change out the gas piston and forearm and be compliant, but thats a pain in the ass dealing with the piston for no good reason. I recomend reading up on how to convert these to accept standard AK furnature(buttstock and pistol grip) and get a US made FCG. The balance of the gun and the trigger feel will be much better and as a result you'll probably shoot better.

• 2 months later...

That's the OEM. saiganov stock. If you don't put any evil parts on the gun, such as a high cap mag, your saiga is still sporting. I emailed the guy at RAA about it a while ago. He was helpful and said that they had approval for each model of saiga that it would fit on, even though they didn't end up selling some of the possible combinations for market reasons. The bottom line is that a saiga with that and nothing else is unmodified, and "as imported" so it counts as sporting.

I suspect that part of the purpose in having none of the grip extend under the receiver was to make states happy that have restrictions on thumbhole stocks defined by a pistol shaped grip under the receiver.

Hope this helps.

I think nailbomb explained it well above. I would just modify, that this specific stock may not count as 2 parts, because the pistol grip part may not count as a pistol grip due to being behind the receiver,and being specifically aproved for importation. Using some other thumbhole stock, would be a different story.

I suspect that part of the purpose in having none of the grip extend under the receiver was to make states happy that have restrictions on thumbhole stocks defined by a pistol shaped grip under the receiver.

Hope this helps.

I think nailbomb explained it well above. I would just modify, that this specific stock may not count as 2 parts, because the pistol grip part may not count as a pistol grip due to being behind the receiver,and being specifically aproved for importation. Using some other thumbhole stock, would be a different story.

I've not seen any seperate rulings on the saiga sporter thumbhole stocks, and without a seperate rulling they should fall under the same rules and regulations as any other thumbhole.

The fact that the grip section of the stock is behind the reciever probably has more to do with the clinton plate and importation rules currently in effect than anything.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I don't think the ATF is in a position to regulate anything anymore. After being caught smuggling guns to mexico, lying about it and using the scandal as an excuse to infringe on a natural right, I cannot recognize their authority.

OOPS!! I had better shut up before I get bagged, tagged and wake up in Guantanimio

• Like 1

Thumbhole stocks are deemed to count for 2 parts for 922r purposes yes. No a thumbhole stock does not bring you to worry about 922r.

your US magazines count as 3 parts, so with your saiga being composed of 15 parts you need 2 more to be compliant.

you could change out the gas piston and forearm and be compliant, but thats a pain in the ass dealing with the piston for no good reason. I recomend reading up on how to convert these to accept standard AK furnature(buttstock and pistol grip) and get a US made FCG. The balance of the gun and the trigger feel will be much better and as a result you'll probably shoot better.

Actually, there are 14 parts so you only need 4 to be compliant. Use US magazines and a tapco fore-end and you are 922r compliant.

I have the same setup and it works nicely.

Actually, there are 14 parts so you only need 4 to be compliant. Use US magazines and a tapco fore-end and you are 922r compliant.

I have the same setup and it works nicely.

(1) Receiver

(2) Barrels

(3) Barrel extensions

(4) Mounting blocks, trunnion (rifles only)

(5) Muzzle attachments (shotguns w/ threaded barrels only)

(6) Bolts

(7) Bolt carriers

(8) Operating rods

(9) Gas pistons

(10) Trigger housings

(11) Triggers

(12) Hammers

(13) Sears

(14) Disconnectors

(15) Buttstock

(16) Pistol grips

(17) Forearms, handguards

(18) Magazine bodies

(19) Followers

(20) Floorplates

that makes 14 parts.

Thumbhole stocks as I said earlier count for 2 parts for 922r purposes making 15.