Hey all, I've got an older LG Glimmer phone. The phone works fine, but the recharge port is screwed up, and it sometimes/rarely recharges the battery any more. I'm happy with the phone and don't want the hassle of getting a new one, with all the crappy reviews I've been reading on some new phones. Will one of these charging mats work to recharge a phone when the micro usb cable connection is worn out? I don't want a smart phone, with expense and worthless features. I just need to call out and answer incoming. Thanks for any help.

Info for anyone interested. The wireless pads still must be able to use your Micro usb port on your phone. They have a connection that clips in or something. My micro usb port on the phone was effed up. No go for me. But I found a cheap Li-Ion Charger that recharges the batteries and plugs into the wall. Less than $20. If I was buying a $300 Droid phone, I would get the charging mat to keep the usb port from breaking from the constant unplugging and plugging. They are cheap on ebay. Lot's of companies make them, Duracell, EverReady and a host of no names. Hope this helps others.

i dont have any direct experience with them, but i do understand the physics behind them. they induce a time changing electromagnetic field which creates a voltage inside the circuitry of your electronic device which causes the oxidation/reduction process in your battery to flow in the opposite direction it would if the battery were being used.

I would think youd have to make sure that your electrical device was able to withstand this type of situation, as in, critical electrical components are shielded enough so they dont break from being placed in this e&m field.

Hey all, I've got an older LG Glimmer phone. The phone works fine, but the recharge port is screwed up, and it sometimes/rarely recharges the battery any more. I'm happy with the phone and don't want the hassle of getting a new one, with all the crappy reviews I've been reading on some new phones. Will one of these charging mats work to recharge a phone when the micro usb cable connection is worn out? I don't want a smart phone, with expense and worthless features. I just need to call out and answer incoming. Thanks for any help.

Ther are lots of cheap phones on ebay many for less than you would spend on a charging pad

Neat tech, but doesn't work any better than charging with a cable. In fact, it's less efficient albeit at such a low level it effectively makes no difference.

Go for a basic phone. Most providers offer them.

Edited by patriot