I was driving home tonight after work, (40 miles or so) on a two lane blacktop, when I came upon 9 Long Horn steers running on the side of the road and in the middle of the highway. I slowed way down, and was trying to kind of keep them to one side of the road so on coming traffic wouldn't hit them, looking for the area they might have gotten out of. A car was approaching, so I flashed my lights to warn them, and it was a Sheriff. He flipped on his lights, and went on by, stopping to talk to a car behind me. I did a u turn on the highway and got out, about thirty feet away and hollered to see if anyone needed help getting the steers herded up. A pickup behind them stopped, listened a bit and then came on towards my. He had his window down, so I asked him if anyone needed help. The Sheriff got in his cruiser and sped off. The guy in the pickup said the owner was right behind him. Turned out it was a 30ish something female with two small kids. I told her I would help, so she went back to her farmhouse to saddle up a horse. Her mom showed up, and by now the steers had entered the driveway of another farmhouse a mile or two down the road. We kept the steers contained until the lady with the horse could get out to us, and the guy that lived in the farm came out to help. Got the steers all herded in safely, back in the pasture right when it was getting dark out, after an hour or so. The lady was asking me if I would help, and I kept telling her I would help, no problem, but I didn't know how to ride a horse! lol. My question is, why the heck didn't the cop and the guy in the pickup even bother to help? I know the cop heard me, but he just ignored me and sped away. That was weird. It would have been a catastrophe if a car was speeding along and hit one of the steers. I was the only one that stopped and helped. Are people that wrapped up in their own little world they can't help a woman, her mom and a couple of kids out? This ain't big city area out here. It was in between two towns of about 400 people each, 10/12 miles apart from each other in the middle of nowhere. It all turned out good, and was actually kind of cool. Surreal. It did bother me no one stopped to see if they could help.

• Like 5

I hear you. That is one of the things I like about Alaska, is generally people are quite willing and happy to help if needs be. I've picked up stranded motorists on occasion, much to the terror of one of my friends. (You simply don't leave someone stranded 100 miles from the nearest services.)

• Like 1

Big city ways are creeping into rural areas more and more. I don't know what the cop's reason was, but maybe seeing him there made others think he was going to handle the situation. I guess not. Looks like you're the only hero of this story.

I hear you. That is one of the things I like about Alaska, is generally people are quite willing and happy to help if needs be. I've picked up stranded motorists on occasion, much to the terror of one of my friends. (You simply don't leave someone stranded 100 miles from the nearest services.)

Yea alaskans realy help each other out more. One time our van broke down on the road to seward and I Had to hitchike back to keni to get help. But nearly every car with ak plates stoped and offerd a ride to anchorage. I was going to keni so I had to wait til I found somone going my way. That never would have hapened here in the lower 48

Big city ways are creeping into rural areas more and more. I don't know what the cop's reason was, but maybe seeing him there made others think he was going to handle the situation. I guess not. Looks like you're the only hero of this story.

I'm no hero, and don't want to be. Just being decent is all. Not to much to ask...or is it?

• Like 4

As for the Deputy, I dunno. They do have to priortize calls. Maybe something else came up(maybe shift change?) or he was told by someone(the guy in the truck that didn't help either?) that "We got it.".

As for everyone else, most likely fear of litigation. If you help and a steer gets away from you, gets hit and kills the driver, are you responsible? Or, just the steer gets killed, again, are you going to be held liable?

The other reason is likely the chance of injury. Most of the "New Country" folks AINT and have NO experince with anything bigger than a cat or medium sized dog. Sadly, fear of any of the above is likely the largest factor. Even if not admitted. Add to that Movies like "The Hitcher", etc. and the subconcious fears mount.

Last year I stopped to get a small dog out of the road and I don't know if the owner was pissed at me or the dog for interupting her Soaps.

These days, I tend to stop only for animals, the very young, the very old and of course, HOT WOMEN. The last of which will likely be the death of me sometime. :lolol:

• Like 2

As for the Deputy, I dunno. They do have to priortize calls. Maybe something else came up(maybe shift change?) or he was told by someone(the guy in the truck that didn't help either?) that "We got it.".

As for everyone else, most likely fear of litigation. If you help and a steer gets away from you, gets hit and kills the driver, are you responsible? Or, just the steer gets killed, again, are you going to be held liable?

The other reason is likely the chance of injury. Most of the "New Country" folks AINT and have NO experince with anything bigger than a cat or medium sized dog. Sadly, fear of any of the above is likely the largest factor. Even if not admitted. Add to that Movies like "The Hitcher", etc. and the subconcious fears mount.

Last year I stopped to get a small dog out of the road and I don't know if the owner was pissed at me or the dog for interupting her Soaps.

These days, I tend to stop only for animals, the very young, the very old and of course, HOT WOMEN. The last of which will likely be the death of me sometime. :lolol:

Good call, lol!

Some people simply don't care about other people's troubles......because they're other people's troubles, and not theirs. Good on you for helping out.

On two different occasions, I tried to catch a wandering dog on the side of a highway. One of the times, I shit you not, people just let traffic back up for a mile, while this dog zigzagged across all 3 lanes and totally blocked traffic. Apparently, just blowing their horns seemed more appropriate than actually getting the dog off the highway. I jumped out of my girl's car, and walked behind the dog and steered it toward the grassy area of an exit ramp. Once he got closer to the neihborhood, he took off running. I have no idea if he lived in that area, but at least I got him off the highway so he wouldn't get hit, or hold up traffic.

(Funny sidestory; a car full of tough-guys sitting at the light at the end of the exit ramp were watching me for a couple minutes, didn't say a word, and then once the light turned green, they drove off as one of them yelled "Your dog's a fucking retard!". They couldn't say it when they were sitting still, and I was fairly close to their car. Pussies.)

I made a stupid rookie mistake driving a big U-Haul from Juneau-Haines to Anchorage in October, which is a hard admission 'cause I ain't a roookie and I've made that run a lot of times. But it was warm and early in the season so I figured I'd save myself a couple hundred bucks and not buy any chains. Hell, I'm a longtime Alaska driver and most years I never put on snows, so I could deal with any weather that time of year. Needless to say, in wet, heavy, slick-as-snot snow about twenty miles inside Canada up that damned hill out of Haines - sea level to over three thousand feet in about 50 miles - the truck wasn't going any further, couldn't even turn it around it the road it was so slick; we just backed it up enough to get it out of the traffic lane because that was the best we could do. Left my oldest kid with the truck and hitched back to Haines. Kid and I had gotten just shit-faced in Juneau the night before because it was our last night there after thirty years and I'd fallen and had a gash on my forehead and two eyes getting blacker by the hour. Got picked up by two Canadian teachers and about halfway to the border realized my Passport was on the dash of the truck. Made it through the US Border without too much hassle though.

Get down to Haines and get some chains. Call the cab, emphasis on the singular, but he can only legally take me as far as the Border leaving me twenty miles short in the dark, cold, and snow. He says he has a friend who works at the US Border Station who can give me a ride if I can wait awhile because the guy is in Haines to go to his kid's parent teacher conference. I agree, give him my cellphone number and wait; took awhile and I was getting nervous, plus my kid, well, not really kid, he was 27 or so, was up there on the hill alone. Guy shows up, gives me a ride all the way to my truck, almost 75 miles, helps us put the chains on, good thing since I hadn't done it in 20 years, follows us down as far as the border station and refuses to take any money. So, I get through the US and Canadian Border twice with only a drivers license and looking like some derelict, get a ride from two women, most women in the US wouldn't give a guy a ride if their life depended on it, which it sometimes can, and get a ride 75 miles up the hill and invaluable help from a guy who won't take any money for it. He was a minister, so as we parted company at the Border Station, I shook his hand and handed him $500 and said, if you won't take it, give it to your church, and he did. There are some really, really nice people in this part of the World.

Oh, and one of those Canadian teachers was just drop-dead gorgeous, Croatian woman, but I'm pretty sure they were lesbians - damn I hate that kind of competition!

• Like 1

He was probably afraid the doughnuts would get cold at the station house :lolol:.

I have had similar situations happen in GA . North of a line drawn mid state people are less likely to stop, south of that and there is a better chance they will. I believe the closer you are to large cities people are more afraid.

• Like 1

Some people simply don't care about other people's troubles......because they're other people's troubles, and not theirs.

count me as one of the "don't care about other people's troubles". I have enough on my plate I don't need to go around and take on other peoples trouble/problems

On two different occasions, I tried to catch a wandering dog on the side of a highway. One of the times, I shit you not, people just let traffic back up for a mile, while this dog zigzagged across all 3 lanes and totally blocked traffic. .)

now that is stupid, if I was there in the front I would have gone through. one of 2 things will happen 1) the dog will get out of the way of the car or 2) it becomes pavement splatter. but for people to sit there and honk and not go through simply is assine.

this type of thing happens up here with geese, they will be in the middle of a road and people will stop and wait for these things to clear the roadway. not me, I go through, and they do get out of the way.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

Some people simply don't care about other people's troubles......because they're other people's troubles, and not theirs. Good on you for helping out.

On two different occasions, I tried to catch a wandering dog on the side of a highway. One of the times, I shit you not, people just let traffic back up for a mile, while this dog zigzagged across all 3 lanes and totally blocked traffic. Apparently, just blowing their horns seemed more appropriate than actually getting the dog off the highway. I jumped out of my girl's car, and walked behind the dog and steered it toward the grassy area of an exit ramp. Once he got closer to the neihborhood, he took off running. I have no idea if he lived in that area, but at least I got him off the highway so he wouldn't get hit, or hold up traffic.

(Funny sidestory; a car full of tough-guys sitting at the light at the end of the exit ramp were watching me for a couple minutes, didn't say a word, and then once the light turned green, they drove off as one of them yelled "Your dog's a fucking retard!". They couldn't say it when they were sitting still, and I was fairly close to their car. Pussies.)

And what would you have done if they all got out and said it to your face?

Edited by RichardC1967

Some people simply don't care about other people's troubles......because they're other people's troubles, and not theirs.

count me as one of the "don't care about other people's troubles". I have enough on my plate I don't need to go around and take on other peoples trouble/problems

Fair enough. But I'm a firm believer that what you put out comes back to you, whether good or bad. Maybe one day you'll be the one in need of help, and no one will stop to help you. I try to live by the "treat others as you would like to be treated" mindset. I know I'd appreciate some help if I needed it, or someone helping out someone I care about.

And what would you have done if they all got out and said it to your face?

Same thing I would have done when anybody confronted me when I was that age; went in swinging and hoped for the best. I had a 4 D-cell Maglite on me. If I couldn't take them all, I'd just single one of them out and concentrate the damage on one of them. It's worked before for me, and I've seen it work for other people. Generally, if you're beating someone bad enough, their buddies will concentrate more on just getting you off their friend, as opposed to kicking your ass. This was years ago, though. I have a much longer "fuse" nowadays and would just laugh at people like that and shrug it off.

Why don't anyone stop to help?

Because the true meaning of community seems lost on our country now days.

+1

Sad, but true.

On two different occasions, I tried to catch a wandering dog on the side of a highway. One of the times, I shit you not, people just let traffic back up for a mile, while this dog zigzagged across all 3 lanes and totally blocked traffic. .)

now that is stupid, if I was there in the front I would have gone through. one of 2 things will happen 1) the dog will get out of the way of the car or 2) it becomes pavement splatter. but for people to sit there and honk and not go through simply is assine.

this type of thing happens up here with geese, they will be in the middle of a road and people will stop and wait for these things to clear the roadway. not me, I go through, and they do get out of the way.

Gosh, and you sound like such a happy person it makes me want to try this whole "Me first, fuck everyone else, and splatter the animals in the road" philosophy of life you have. Please, tell me more! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Gosh, and you sound like such a happy person it makes me want to try this whole "Me first, fuck everyone else, and splatter the animals in the road" philosophy of life you have. Please, tell me more! :rolleyes:

as a matter of fact, I am a happy person. you make it sound like I just willy nilly go and run down animals, your reading comprehension is lacking. I stated I would go through, not that I would intentional chase the animal down and run it over, geese get out of the way when you go through. oh and guess what also? if a squirell jumps out in front of me, I don't go slamming on the brakes or swerve and end up in the ditch or crash into a utility pole. as for the "me first fuck everyone else" it's not "everyone" only people I care about in helping is my family and friends. lets put it this way, you live the life you want, and I will live the life I want, and we'll both be happy about it. :D

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 1

Helped a dude SKATEBOARDING down the Interstate 4 or 5 years ago the opposite direction! I did a u turn across the median. He ran out of gas. He was miles from any town. Got him a gas can and enough gas to get back and get refueled. lol. That was fun! Stuff happens. I believe in Karma. (or I would really LIKE to believe in Karma) I guess these days, with cell phones, everyone assumes that the people can call and know who to call. Life isn't always that tidy.

as a matter of fact, I am a happy person. you make it sound like I just willy nilly go and run down animals, your reading comprehension is lacking. I stated I would go through, not that I would intentional chase the animal down and run it over, geese get out of the way when you go through. oh and guess what also? if a squirell jumps out in front of me, I don't go slamming on the brakes or swerve and end up in the ditch or crash into a utility pole. as for the "me first fuck everyone else" it's not "everyone" only people I care about in helping is my family and friends. lets put it this way, you live the life you want, and I will live the life I want, and we'll both be happy about it. :D

Well, I'm glad to see you back peddling a little bit. I think I even detected an ounce of compassion this time. I knew you were a swell guy. Peace. :kiss:

BronCobraJet, if you lived near Charlotte, N.C. I'd meet up with you and buy you a beer. I know what you mean. It's strange to me when I greet people and they don't even look my way. The good news is, you get to pass your decency on to your future generations. Take Care, Shoot Straight, and Love Life.

my hat is off to you for doing the honorable thing. sadly what you experienced is just one symptom of the empire in decline. this is no longer a christian nation. we are merely reaping what has been sown for the past 40 years. by the public fool system and popular culture.

i have been self employed for 19 years. it's always been a struggle. i can only afford used trucks. for the past 11 years iv'e used box type trucks with dual rear wheels. i found out the hard way with my first one, that anytime the rear wheels are removed. the lug nuts need to be re-checked for tightness. while driving on a major highway. i noticed that a tractor trailer would not pass. when i slowed he slowed. after about five miles of this seemingly strange behavior. and with traffic backing up behind us. i turned off my radio and listened intently to my truck. i did hear a low rumble, and pulled onto the shoulder. after getting out and looking underneath i did not see anything wrong immediately. however, when i got a look at the driver side rear wheels. i was horrified. the lug nuts had come loose. three were missing. all the lug bolts were damaged. the lug holes in the wheels were all damaged. obviously the truck driver noticed my situation. then backed off just enough to watch the show.

i could give many more examples. rest assured that 80 possibly 90% of of the masses are asses. as a nation, we are in deep shit.

My 17 year old daughter called the other day, she was about a mile from the house and a cow was out on the road. Mom told her to keep it by the fence and we would be there in a minute. Another lady stopped and went and got the rancher who came and got the cow.

I have rasied all three kids around doing the little things for others and paying attention to detail. They also know if it doesn't feel right, don't stop. CYA comes first.

Edited by Dad2142Dad

Raleigh had a freak blizzard in 2000. 2-4" was the prediction, and we got 24" instead. My girlfriend (now my wife) was living in a house at the bottom of a hill in a cul-de-sac, and by morning, the snow had piled up in one big 4ft drift. I had a 2dr GMC Yukon with BFG All-Terrains. Aired down to 10psi, I couldn't get anywhere.

With nothing better to do, I just started shoveling. I spent the next three hours shoveling, stopping only to hydrate. I was racing Ironman triathlons at the time, so I was looking at it as a great way to get an endurance workout in for the day.

All of the neighbors just watched me from their windows, some of them even laughing at me. Their kids played in their yards while I shoveled a path through the cul-de-sac all the way up the hill to where the snow depth was much more manageable for the SUVs all of them had.

Once I was satisfied I had a good enough path, I hopped in my truck and drove straight up the hill, around the neighborhood, and back down again. By the time I got back to the driveway, all of the neighbors were out digging short little paths from their cars to the path I just spent three hours digging. I stood there for a bit, waiting for someone to thank me or even acknowledge the work I did, but I got nothing. I was so mad, I didn't even think of the obvious- to just park my truck right in the middle of the road I just cleared. That didn't dawn on me until it would've been a worthless effort.

Instead, I just drove home, where I could get a change of clothes.

This still pisses me off anytime I think of it to this day.

I've always helped people no matter where I was (22 years in AK and this last year in OR). I pick up hitchhikers when I'm back home and always stop if someone is on the side of the road. I had to pull a lot of cars out of parking spots or help push them out after it snowed when I was going to school in Flagstaff. Like you said Cryogaijin, it's just a part of life. I got ripped off by one guy I gave a ride to, but it was only an $80 knife. I always figured he'd get his just reward.

I've seen the same thing happen when a student " pulled a gun " on a professor at the university I was attending. Out of hundreds of people I was the only one who went to help . In my Psychology course the following week, the topic of the Kitty Genovese case came up . If there is a group at the scene where someone needs help, the responsibility is felt as spread over the group. And the individual feels less responsibility to act . Why some people ignore that and other do not ....

Edited by ARCHANGEL