Crimson Trace Dark House at the NWMGC 2011

I wanted to open a new topic about the Crimson Trace Dark House so the NWMGC topic didn't drift.

When Scott and I were planning this match I decided to do a dark house because I really like them and most people don't get to shoot in one very often. Iain Harrison from Crimson got wind of it and asked if he could set something up. I told him sure (anything to get this off my plate). Next thing I know he has this whole plan of night vison goggles and SBRs with Infared lasers, I was stunned. For the folks that got to shoot this stage it was a once in a lifetime opportunity to use some very expensive equipment (close to $15,000). Here are the people that made it happen.

Iain Harrison - I can't say enough about this guy. I didn't really know him very well before we started but he is a lot of fun and a great rep for Crimson. He contacted all the parties involved and did all the heavy lifting. He designed and built all the panels off site, brought them in on a flatbed truck and then assembled them on site. He was there for 2 days while the ROs shot and as you can see from the video of my run even ran shooters.

Peter Lesbo - Owns I2 Technologies & Systems Integration. I've shot Ironman with him a couple of times and he is a hoot to hang out with. Number one comment about him from shooters, he's alway happy and excited. If you are feeling down, stand by him for a few minutes, he's a 220 guy in a 110 world. Peter builds night vision equipment and provided some helmets and 2 sets of PVS-15 goggles that run around $12,000 each for a bunch of people he didn't know to play with and then fit each shooter and showed them how they worked before they entered the stage. Not a single person complained they couldn't see very well and that is a testament to the work that Peter did. I told him sponsors often let the Match Director keep the stage props but he gave me a funny look when I asked if I could keep the PVS-15s.

Don Scheer - Next Generation Arms VP. He brought out and babysitted a pair of really cool 11" SBRs for everyone to shoot. I love these things but I live in Washington State, nuf said. Don maintained the guns through thousands of rounds of shooting.

Earl Jull - Range Officer. Earl is a friend of mine and we have shot and worked matches together for several years. He ROed the dark house at the last Multigun Nationals and emailed me to say he was interested in ROing the Crimson Trace Dark House. I can tell you that 4 thousand square feet of black plastic under the bright sun, sealed all the way around does not make for a plesant work environment. The concussion and smoke from an SBR in an enclosed space plus heat was a little rough on the shooters, for Earl it was a solid day and a half of hell. Thanks Buddy, I owe you a cold one or some brown liquer.

Hornady Ammunition - Provided 3000 rounds of free ammo for the shooters to use.

It's pretty timely that we had this stage not too long after our guys got Osama. I don't know for sure but I'm willing to bet that the same technology that we used on this stage was used to ventilate our #1 Most Wanted guy. Its not fair to the guys on the receiving end but as my buddy Scott says, if you're in a fair fight your tactics suck. Incredible technology with devastating effect, so cool that you don't know what to say afterwards except "CAN I DO IT AGAIN?".

My favorite CT Dark House quote so far - "half Call of Duty, half oven; all cool."

I have not talked to Iain about using the wall panels again at our match, but if you are running a match and are interested give him a call at Crimson Trace.

Doug

My run on the Dark House.

Wall panels on the flatbed.

post-22191-0-05879900-1310485869_thumb.jpg

Wall panels up before plastic.

post-22191-0-86630300-1310485904_thumb.jpg

Iain installing the plastic.

post-22191-0-25514900-1310485942_thumb.jpg

Overview of the stage from right berm.

post-22191-0-47177900-1310486037_thumb.jpg

Contact Info:

Crimson Trace - customer@crimsontrace.com

Peter Lesbo - pvs14builder@yahoo.com

Don Scheer - don@nextgenerationarms.com

• Like 1

Fkn awesome! :super:

That was well worth the price of admission! I had a great time and that stage will be talked about for years to come!

Thanks Iain for all your hard work!

That was well worth the price of admission! I had a great time and that stage will be talked about for years to come!

You were there, Holy Cow which squad were you in? I wish I had known, I always like sayin hello to Saiga 12 forum members. If ya thought that stage was cool, just wait, this was a learning experience using night vision in this setting for us. Once I figured out how to get each person set up in an efficient manner the process went along fairly smoothly. NOW, we are planning more. I am thinking something the size of an Ironman stage, In the Dark. Stay tuned kids.

IPSC_GUY

SIERRA II ALPHA

Edited by IPSC_GUY

You were there, Holy Cow which squad were you in? I wish I had known, I always like sayin hello to Saiga 12 forum members. If ya thought that stage was cool, just wait, this was a learning experience using night vision in this setting for us. Once I figured out how to get each person set up in an efficient manner the process went along fairly smoothly. NOW, we are planning more. I am thinking something the size of an Ironman stage, In the Dark. Stay tuned kids.

IPSC_GUY

SIERRA II ALPHA

We need to find a cave like they have in Kentucky for Blue Ridge, that would be cool, literally!

Doug

Hummmmmmm let me think about that one, it would be really neat to just shoot a stage after dark, but that could make for an exceptionally long day...

IPSC_GUY

SIERRA II ALPHA

Actually I've been mulling a 4 stage side match on Saturday night. The competitors could shoot during the day, go back to their motels, shower, have an alcohol free dinner and come back around 10:30PM to shoot the stages. No building necessary and it would be voluntary, so if you wanted to drink and sleep it would not affect the regular match. Think about it, we have about 5 months to make plans.

Doug