Local Saiga 12, should i pull the trigger?

Im sure threads like this are annoying as hell about people who can't make their own decisions....

But, im really on the fence here. There's a Saiga 12 locally. It's $650. That's the best i've seen in days of late online or not. I remember when they were in the 400's and all so its still weird to call 650 a deal.

I know everybody is running their mouths about how they might never get imported again and all that panic and good stuff. One day im going to want a shotgun, that day wasnt necessarily today, but now i feel like if i want a 12 i need to get it. I wouldn't say im financially ready for a conversion, but i wouldnt exactly be in impending trouble if i made the purchase. So should i pull the trigger?

$650 + 10.00 background check, no transfer or shipping fees & you walk out of the store with it today?

I say do it. :up:

Sons of guns is about to start their second season & it's a 1/2 long hour S-12 commercial that runs all day marathons some days...

They'll start going fast again when that happens.

I agree with the others that if you want a S12 go ahead and get it. The S12 is a gun that burns holes in pockets anyways, and that is not a bad price. A few years from now you will have thousands in it after conversion, mods, furnature, mags, drums, ammo, etc. By the way it is worth every penny.

When you go back better hope its not already sold :cryss:

They have 4. They told me when they heard about the ATF they ordered all they could, but they cant get anymore. Told me they should have some no problem tomorrow, to get my money together and come get it.

This would be my first shotgun, ive never even fired one. Been firing weapons since i was probably too young to, but never a shotgun. Ive had questions about my needs for one, but everyone seems to be so crazy about them and ive always said that IF i was to get a shotgun it would definitely be a Saiga 12. Lately the MKA 1919 has come up, as has the Keltec KSG and of course the 870 and mossberg 500. However, none seem to compare to the Saiga...and they all cost more, at least before the conversion. I think my other 2 saigas will have another friend tomorrow. This thing better be all you guys crack it up to be! haha.

If you don't already know, some (most probably) CAN be less than reliable right out of the box, these are affectionately known as "vodka specials". This can be frustrating for someone who has heard how freaking cool the saiga 12 is but hasn't read anything about it. They are freaking cool, just be prepared to put some work and money in to it to make it reliable.

If you don't already know, some (most probably) CAN be less than reliable right out of the box, these are affectionately known as "vodka specials". This can be frustrating for someone who has heard how freaking cool the saiga 12 is but hasn't read anything about it. They are freaking cool, just be prepared to put some work and money in to it to make it reliable.

if its anything like its .308 counterpart, i know EXACTLY what you mean. -_-

i know, i know....

ive got 9 black rifles, but no shotgun. also no pistols. shot plenty though...come onnnnn 21st bday in 1 month!

I turned 21 on July 1st, and bought an M&P40c that day. It fits right in with my S12 and 580 series Mini 14. I still haven't bought any alcohol... things that go boom are just way more fun to me.

ETA: Buy that shotgun!! :super:

Edited by JoeAldrich

If they have 4 you might ask them if you can go in the back and examine the gas ports on them

(read all the various info/problem solving threads here first)

You might as well get this one now. Most folks end up getting several so just consider it "dollar cost averaging" ;-)

Cheers

Harv

When you go back better hope its not already sold :cryss:

They have 4. They told me when they heard about the ATF they ordered all they could, but they cant get anymore. Told me they should have some no problem tomorrow, to get my money together and come get it.

This would be my first shotgun, ive never even fired one. Been firing weapons since i was probably too young to, but never a shotgun. Ive had questions about my needs for one, but everyone seems to be so crazy about them and ive always said that IF i was to get a shotgun it would definitely be a Saiga 12. Lately the MKA 1919 has come up, as has the Keltec KSG and of course the 870 and mossberg 500. However, none seem to compare to the Saiga...and they all cost more, at least before the conversion. I think my other 2 saigas will have another friend tomorrow. This thing better be all you guys crack it up to be! haha.

I brought my S-12 from my car into my friend's gunsmith shop a while back before I made the inconspicuous case...

I had the (empty) MD-20 in the weapon & it sports Russian Red AK wood, so there's absolutely no mistaking what family of firearms it derives from...

I had to walk across the street & by a bus stop to get to his shop & I had it slung over my shoulder.

The look on this one typical ultra liberal Portland lady's face as this evil super-AK went by was priceless.

I can only imagine how many rounds she thought a drum that large held.

Yeah, the 1919 might end up being cool, but there's a certain mystique that surrounds a drummed up AK chambered in 12-gauge. :devil:

Although sadistically funny as hell, that look of astonishment is what prompted me to make my case out of an electric guitar case so it would blend in.

Last time I was at my local shop (a week or so ago), they had an S12 for $500. After shipping and FFL transfer costs, that might save you $100.. if you're tight on funds and interested. For the $100, I'd probably just jump on the one you have local and have instant gratification. The one at my shop as the "velcro patch" .. if yours doesn't it might be worth it to you for the looks.

Super awesome guys though.. they don't gouge. Ever. Heck, when I had them order my 5.45 they quoted me $450 and wrote it on the receipt for my down payment. When I called back a few days later to see if it came in, they said no - their normal distributor ended up not having it in stock.. but they got me one for $385.. they could have just as easily pocketed a few extra bucks, and I wouldn't have been the wiser. I already decided they are going to get that few bucks anyhow.. I'm buying some FAL mags.

At $500, I thought about picking up a second S12. I'll probably regret not getting it.. but I have other guns I want to get. Besides.. I don't know how my lovely Russian mistress would feel about having competition in the house.

Last time I was at my local shop (a week or so ago), they had an S12 for $500. After shipping and FFL transfer costs, that might save you $100.. if you're tight on funds and interested. For the $100, I'd probably just jump on the one you have local and have instant gratification. The one at my shop as the "velcro patch" .. if yours doesn't it might be worth it to you for the looks.

Super awesome guys though.. they don't gouge. Ever. Heck, when I had them order my 5.45 they quoted me $450 and wrote it on the receipt for my down payment. When I called back a few days later to see if it came in, they said no - their normal distributor ended up not having it in stock.. but they got me one for $385.. they could have just as easily pocketed a few extra bucks, and I wouldn't have been the wiser. I already decided they are going to get that few bucks anyhow.. I'm buying some FAL mags.

At $500, I thought about picking up a second S12. I'll probably regret not getting it.. but I have other guns I want to get. Besides.. I don't know how my lovely Russian mistress would feel about having competition in the house.

So how would we go about doing that? Could i just order directly from your FFL? Seems if i paid them shipping directly and they ship to my FFL it would probably just be simpler.

If they have 4 you might ask them if you can go in the back and examine the gas ports on them

(read all the various info/problem solving threads here first)

You might as well get this one now. Most folks end up getting several so just consider it "dollar cost averaging" ;-)

Cheers

Harv

+1

Pick the best one.