Texas Weapons Systems

One of the things I always had problems with on AKs is the mid rifle rear sights. I was thinking about going with the replacement peeps, but decided to buy the Texas Weapons Systems railed top cover for my Saiga 223 because I am dying for a true rear sight at the back of the rifle. From what I have seen and read, it stays on there nice and tight. At half the cost of the Krebs cover, I am willing to take the chance. Also, I am planning on using the AR stock adaptor and it requires grinding the rear trunion tang off. The Krebs top cover uses the rear tang to lock into place. The Tech Sights product looks like an abortion, but I would be willing to try it if I knew it was solid and reliable.

I have two questions:

1) Did I make a mistake? Does anyone have the TWS cover and hate it/love it? Does it stay on pretty well.

2) At the moment, TWS only makes a fixed rear peep sight. It is really low and non-adjustable for windage and elevation. Does anyone know if any AR flip-up sights can be used in its place. They would have to be really low, and I'd want them to be adjustable.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by lunker

Their peep sight is not permanent, it locks on any picatinny rail. So any picatinny rail peep sight should work. I had one on mine, it didn't fit too well on my S308, and I ended up screwing it up bc I'm a poor machinist. The S308 is overall thicker in most areas, so I do not think you will have a problem fitting it on your 223.

I settled with original dustcover and a POSP.

From all I've heard, it works fine.

Their peep sight is not permanent, it locks on any picatinny rail. So any picatinny rail peep sight should work.

That is my big question. Their peep sight for the AK sits really low on the rail. All the other rail mounted peep sights I have ever seen are for ARs. I would think that they could not be adjusted low enough (many don't even adjust for height), even with raising the front sight post as high as it will go. I am waiting for a call back from TWS to see what the max rear sight height is.

The Tech Sights product looks like an abortion, but I would be willing to try it if I knew it was solid and reliable.

I have two questions:

It's a good, solid product. Very nice sight picture. However, it doesn't lend itself to taking the dust cover off quickly. (The main reason I got rid of mine).

A friend of mine has the TWS. He's happy with it so far, and it does nice and solid. It's just too much of a kludge for me at the moment. I'd like to see the design stabilize and prove itself for a while.

the dph quick detach beryl style rail is another option but you need the rear tang for it to work It is similar to the krebs. i have one on my 308 and it works good. I have not tried a peep but you keep the factory rear sight for use without a scope

Just looking at mine, no, an AR-15 flip-up peep sight probably won't work.

This is a real pity because the TWS peep rattles and has an aperture that seems way too large when it's all the way back on the rail. I moved mine all the way forward and Loctited it to the rail, giving me maybe an inch and a half more sight radius than I started out with.

I didn't like looking at a square peg in a round hole, so I also ordered a front sight post with a bead on top. Now it looks like HK sights. I did a couple of other things to it while I had it apart that might have helped the accuracy, but when I took it out next I stopped shooting patterns and started shooting neat little groups. This was not the cheapest solution to replacing the stock sights but now that I've done it I'm never going to mess with the sights again.

IMHO the sight radius on an AK isn't as bad as most people think it is. It's the post and notch that's awful for precision.

A friend of mine has the TWS. He's happy with it so far, and it does nice and solid. It's just too much of a kludge for me at the moment. I'd like to see the design stabilize and prove itself for a while.

... and then there's that. It *is* a bit of a kludge and it's still evolving. Mine came with a large metal recoil buffer - this is a new "feature" not present in previous versions. If you're wondering if a solid 6061 aluminum recoil buffer that always lies horizontal while the dust cover is closed such that the bolt carrier gouges it a little more every single time is a good idea, the answer is no it's not.

While researching the problem I found a long write-up by someone who had a similar experience. They have pictures.

http://suburbansdomain.blogspot.com/2011/06/tws-genii-ak-scope-mount.html