I'm looking for a .22LR in a very reliable platform. I know rim fire weapons are generally less reliable, but what would you say is the best? It would be a HUGE plus if it had a high capacity magazine. I want one for a SHTF situation since ammo is so light weight and cheap!

I have a ruger 10/22 from 1974 that I have never had any problems out of could not tell you how many rounds it had had threw it scence I have owned it mabie 10k. my dad bought it new and gave it to me about 12 years ago. Also have a black dog 50 rnd drum for it no problems out of it 2500 rounds threw it. And alot you can do to them

I would +1 for a M&P, Sig, CMMG or Spikes AR style. With the Blackdog mags and good high velocity ammo, they are a lot of fun!

Pistols are usually stuck with 10 round capacity unfortunately, but the Ruger Mark series is pretty damn awesome (excellent for suppressing). Any of the Ruger or S&W revolvers will be best for max reliability.

Ammo is usually the weak link with 22 LR. CCI Mini Mag and the Federal bulk are typically the inexpensive way to go for better reliability. They now have semi-auto specific ammo out.

Be sure to stay away from banded bullets in auto's. Remington Golden bullets and other bulk packs (besides Federal with copper hollowpoints) have left a bad taste in my mouth with numerous unprimed rounds and crappy feeding.

Ruger 10/22. I still have and shoot the one my dad bought me 38 years ago for my first rifle. It still shoots straight. You can buy 25, and even 50 rd mags, plus countless different accessories for it.

+1 on the 10/22. i have a 50 rd drum mag and a few 25 rd mags. ruger makes factory 25rd mags for them now. they have the same great features as their 10 rounders but improved the feed angle to 30 degrees. it improves feeding reliablilty with certain ammunition, plus you can disassemble it and clean it when needed. other 25 rounders i dont think you can do that with.

i cant speak for the other rifles listed, but i would suggest one that is magazine fed and not fed through a tube like the marlin 60. great gun, just sucks ass to reload.

i really like the cci stingers. they pack more of a punch than most others but they cost about 6 or 7 bucks for a pack of 50. wich still aint bad.

im never using golden bullets ever again. infact, im avoiding all remington rimfire ammunition. in the last box i had that i shot, i had 9 ftf. primers were struck and no ignition. that was with the golden buttholes. even their .22 vipers sucked. truncated cone bullets do not do well in my ruger.

good luck in your decision man.

My used 10/22 had no problems feeding off factory mags and Butler Creek hot lips mags. Now that I have a new barrel the chamber is a little tighter and with subsonics i have to clean it a little more. Runs like a top with high velocity stuff though. But since I got a suppressor for it I really don't shoot alot of high velocity anymore ;)

I have a 10/22 carbine that I have owned for the past 10 years. Its dead on with open sights and eats any cheap bulk ammo I feed it. Id recommend one to anyone looking for a reliable and accurate .22

Ive owned a mossberg 702 for about 3 years with about 4000 rounds downrange and it surprises me just how accurate and reliable they are. Ive shot almost 800 rounds before it started to hicup. And that was only about 1 out of every 50 or so rounds. Plus its damn accurate to. They just started making hi-cap mags for them and I have yet to pick one up. But for about $110 you cant beat it. They make one now with an AR style stock for about $250.

For a pistol, the ISSC m22 is pretty reliable and accurate as well. It fires CCI mini mags all day with no problems. In one range session I shot 500 rounds without one jam. Although its limited to 10 rounds, mag changes are very quick and when the fresh mag is inserted quickly it releases the slide automatically. Highly recommended. Just stick with 40 grain federal bulk or CCI mini mags and its an outstanding pistol. Not to mention the Walther match grade bull barrel it comes with from the factory. I can hit soda cans off hand quickly at 35 yards no problem.

Edited by foreign firearm fiend

The hi cap magazine requirement limits your selection considerably. For reliability, the fewer moving parts, the better, IMO. The 10/22 is a good choice, assuming you want a semi. Ruger's bolt action 77/22 uses the same mags as the 10/22 and has (if memory serves) 3 moving parts when fired (trigger, sear and firing pin). Aftermarket parts are fairly plentiful (though not as much as the 10/22). I own both Rugers and enjoy shooting them. The super quiet, low power Aguila ammo won't cycle in my 10/22, but is fine in the 77. However, it should be noted that neither rifle will reliably feed 22 shorts without magazine modification. Not a huge deal.

I had opportunity to try out Tom Cole's suppressor on my 77 last time he was up here. When I say there was NO NOISE, I mean I literally thought the thing had misfired when I pulled the trigger. It's quiet on a 10/22 as well, though not AS quiet. Suppressor use may not be a consideration for you, but I thought I'd mention it.

Ruger also makes a 22 lever action that uses the 10/22 mags. I believe it's called the model 96/22. Like the 10/22 and 77/22, it can be had in magnum chamberings too. I'm faster with a lever gun than a bolt gun, but I haven't owned a 96/22 yet, so I can't speak as to the reliability. I've never heard anything bad about them however.

Can you tell I'm a Ruger fan? :rolleyes:

For an automatic, I'd also vote for the 10-22.

The problems most people have with rimmed cartridges is because of terrible magazine designs and infrequent maintenance/cleaning.

ruger 10/22 is probably the gold standard. i dont think ive ever heard anyone say anything other than absolute praise for that rifle. I would have bought one myself, but the s&w m&p 15-22 was more appealing visually, so thats what i have. great rifle, but it does jam occasionally.

I bought a 10/22 with the tapco "tactical stock" and I had nothing but problems with it. I paid a lil to much for it, $300, and it was a jam-o-matic. I cleaned it extremely well and bought different ammo and it just jammed every other shot even with the factory mag. I think I just got a bad one. Long story short, I sold it and used the money to buy my Saiga 12. So it wasent all that bad.

Most all failures I've ever seen with a 10/22 have been either mag related (cheap after market mags instead of good quality with metal feed lips) or a really dirty gun that needed cleaned and oiled.

Another thing you can not go wrong with on a 10/22.... just like any other Ruger, it's backed by some of the best customer service in the entire industry. I have a single action Ruger cowboy style pistol, the"Super Single Six", the Bicentennial edition with the 9.5" bbl. When I first got it whoever had it before me had tried to work on the trigger and had the timing so screwed up it wouldn't work right. I called Sturm Ruger and asked if they could give me any advice on what might be wrong, and what parts I needed to buy for it. They told me to ship it to them and let them have a look. I had the gun back not very long after that with a brand new trigger mechanism, new hammer, and working like a swiss watch. The invoice in the correct factory box they returned it in, said I owed the exactly $0.00 in parts, and $0.00 in labor.

To me that's damn fine customer service. I wasn't even asking them to fix it, just examine it and send it back with the parts I needed, and bill me for them.

• Like 1

I have a 10/22 that is great if I use factory mags but sucks ass with ALL other mags even ones with metal feed lips. I would recommend a Sig Sauer 522. By far the best .22 I've ever fired. 30 round mags are readily available at an affordable price. You cant go wrong with a Sig.

I kindof like the idea of the AR-7...

Never owned nor fired one however, anyone care to chime in on that?

I had one years ago. I think it was made by Armalite back then. They're Henry made now. It never jammed on me, but the mag capacity wasn't very high and the trigger pull wasn't very good. Sights were a bit crude too. It WAS reliable though.

+1 on Ruger's customer service.

I've owned a couple of Marlins, a Remington Nylon, and a single shot as a kid, but when I bought a 10/22 in 1978 I've stuck with Ruger ever since. It was stolen in 1998 by some lowlife scumbag (who I still hope is burning in hell) and I got another one within a week. He also took my Mauser and 410 but I didn't even care, it was the loss of my 22 that traumatized me. My wife found it amusing that I could be so attached to an inanimate object until I pointed out that it had been around a few years longer than her. Anyway, it isn't the most accurate out of the box rifle around but it's plenty good enough and it's like the Energizer bunny, it keeps going and going and going. I would recommend one to you without hesitation.

I have a S&W M&P .22. It had to be sent back due to throwing 2 rounds into the chamber. It was sent and quickly returned. Its been great ever since. Everyone that is afraid of the saiga likes shooting this thing. It wasnt the cheapest though. Think it ran me $450.I actually leave it at my moms for home protection for her. Shes a pretty good shot with it and it has 25 rnd mags so shes bound to hit something lol.

Edited by TIMTIMTIM

M&P 15-22 is amazingly reliable.

10/22s are legendary in their own right.

I've seen both jam, but the 10/22 just needed a full teardown and cleaning (the bolt was gummed up after who knows how many thousands of rounds) and the 15-22 was from an improperly loaded mag. Both problems are perfectly avoidable.

Another vote for the 10/22. I have shot hundreds of rounds without oil or cleaning it and had no malfunctions with

cheap bulk Federal. The new 25 round Ruger mags should be an improvement over the others, which I have had some trouble with. If cleaned and oiled, using good mags and ammo you will shoot all afternoon with no problems.