that thing kicks ass.

+1 for ruger in general.

i had an article in american rifleman, that had an assload of tactical .22's, i cant find it but it had a few in there worth mentioning. i dont know how much your willing to spend, but there is a lot of things to consider.

aftermarket parts is always a plus with the 10/22. theres an assload of them out there. i cant comment on any others, as ive never owned anything other than the ruger rifle. let us know what you decide, and post pics!!!:smoke:

I like cobras krink.... is that the krinker plinker kit or all russian stuff? I don't like how long the grippps on the butler creek stocks are. I amtrying to sell a mini 14 butler creek for 60...model 60s woth speed loaders would be just fine. And what's not hi cap about 17 rounds? Barrel is a lot longer though....

Ruger 1022 is the most reliable magazine fed semi 22lr period. Old ones are better than newer ones by the way and the only mags that are 100% are Ruger mags(including their new BX-25 hicap).

Outside of that I like pump action 22lr repeaters and the H&R Sportsman break top revolvers.Both are ultimately reliable and don't require consistent ammo stored under perfect conditions to work right.

Cali_Armz,

Tactical Innovations ,kit is $399 , they are a hoot , you have to drift the sights of the barrels to assemble ,

But no cranks in Kali , Mn and Il i believe .

Cabelas has them too.

• Like 1

That is surely a badass little piece of machinery there MT Predator! If had a couple extra beater 10/22s laying around I might have to look into that! (Damn! Now I have to buy two more guns...lol....)

Salty that is the Krinker Plinker kit on mine. I love it. Bought the kit before I even had the rifle to use it on. Searched for a few months for a used, beater rifle to use for it, and had zero luck. These guns tend to last a long time and people tend to hang on to them. So I finally just bit the bullet and grabbed a brand new one for around $200 I think it was.

As far as decent capacity mags go, I've had the best luck with Butler Creek Hot Lips mags (with steel feed lips) The Eagles are ok too but have plastic lips and aren't quite as reliable. They were only around 5 bucks each though so I can deal. Both the Eagles and the Hot Lips mags have the cool feature of snapping together side by side and inverted, so you can just take it out and flip it around and keep shooting.

Another good mag I recently tried and liked very much, is made by Shooter's Ridge. They have 25 and 30 rd single and double stacks, and this little jewel they make here, is the best thing to ever come along for all 10/22 mags, IMO. One time trying my friend's and I was sold!

post-1293-0-42356800-1310742922_thumb.jpg

Talk about a time and thumb saver...wow!

You just dump a box of shells in the reservoir, shake em down into position, and start cranking! Works like a dream.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Promag makes a 75 rd drum for the 10/22 but I wouldn't bother with it unless they have fixed their design (again...)

Black Dog Machine has a 50 rdr that does look promising, but I haven't tried one personally yet. Would like to get one though. Has anyone tried these?

I want!

I've messed with Ramline 50 rounders, Eagles, Butler Creeks, and of course the factory tens. I've successfully worn out all brands but the Ruger mags so...today I picked up a new Ruger BX-25 to try out. Initially, it seems well built, solid as the factory tens. The feed lips and locking tabs/lugs are steel and they claim the feed angle is improved over other mags. Plus, you can disassemble for cleaning via a couple of Allen screws. As far as the Promag drum goes, my friend built a 10/22 on a Tommygun kit for his wife because she wanted a Tommygun. He bought a drum to complete the look and first time at the range, it would not seat into the weapon. We tried it in mine and same thing. He sent it back to Promag awhile back and hasn't received a new one yet. Anyone else have experience with these drums?

Cali_Armz,

Tactical Innovations ,kit is $399 , they are a hoot , you have to drift the sights of the barrels to assemble ,

you know, i had a feeling it was too cool to be legal in this state. i really need to move somewhere with more reasonable firearm laws.

Cali_Armz,

Cabelas has them too.

thats good to know man. one day il put one together, then il rain down 22lr rounds on targets.

My first recommendation is to go to the "forum.saiga-12.com" of rimfire, rimfirecentral.com. Insane amount of useful info on every single rimfire worth a darn, and yes, the 10/22 reigns supreme for many deserving reasons.

You might also consider the newer Savage Mark II FV-SR bolt gun. Though it doesn't have the aftermarket support the 10/22 has, it doesn't need much. Straight out of the box, it will shoot with guns costing 4-6x as much. The barrel is factory-threaded for a suppressor, which should be your next consideration if it is legal in your area. You can get them for around $275 shipped to your FFL. Add Mueller scope for $130 and a solid stock from Boyd's for around $100 shipped, and you have a gun that has been blowing the minds of many rimfire fans. Savage can't make these fast enough for a reason.

When I think SHFT and rimfire, I'm thinking of hunting, not self-defense. A high capacity autoloader should be in your SHTF arsenal, but it should be centerfire. The 22lr comes out when you need to do some careful, quiet work, and nothing is quieter or more accurate for the money than a suppressed bolt gun. With careful aim, you can harvest deer without alerting others that you have a firearm and food.

Just a thought to consider. You'll love a 10/22, but it might not actually be the best gun for a SHTF rimfire, in my humble opinion. Of course, you can man-up and get both...

022.gif

• Like 2

That is surely a badass little piece of machinery there MT Predator! If had a couple extra beater 10/22s laying around I might have to look into that! (Damn! Now I have to buy two more guns...lol....)

Here's another to entice you bro!

s7_227757_999_alt01_01.jpg

• Like 1

I MUST HAVE ONE OF THOSE "GATLING GUNS!" I'm hitting the gun stores and pawn shops this week in search of sound 10-22s. I have a Benz ML with the "Jurassic Park" fully opening roof, and I know I can fabricate a mount for that little jewel to attach to my roof rack. And in the really good part, nobody with a badge in Alaska would care if you drove around with one of those on top of your truck. I could even paint it to match so it would look 'factory." My mind just started spinning on how easy it would be to control that thing remotely! "Course, that would be illegal, wouldn't it?

(If I ever actually had to open the roof to use it, I'd have to hope like Hell that the roof would actually work; they're waaay cool but they ain't reliable for shit and they're Godawful expensive to fix.)

Edited by Black3

Another vote for the 10/22. I have shot hundreds of rounds without oil or cleaning it and had no malfunctions with

cheap bulk Federal. The new 25 round Ruger mags should be an improvement over the others, which I have had some trouble with. If cleaned and oiled, using good mags and ammo you will shoot all afternoon with no problems.

I also vote for the 10/22. Mine has a collapsible stock which I made by having a threaded adapter machined out of aluminum stock and epoxied to the wooden stock and an AR 15 collapsible stock screwed on and a Yugo AK pistol grip (from the 922r non compliant parts box). I also added Tech Sights aperture sights which raise the sight line to a more ergonomic height. My favorite magazines are the Ram Line 50 rounders but the 30 rounders are easier to load.

My friend has an Armscor AK22 which looks like a tacky AK but works reliably and when shouldered it feels like an AK.

I have been watching this topic for days.

in the application at hand, survival. I hands down will defer to an old single shot.

I have not argued it at this point, and probably wont argue it, due to the fact that much has not been stipulated by the posts here for use.

I have a 100 year old 22 that takes one shot, and will harvest white tail and boar with a well placed shot. I am hoping to add alligator to it soon.

keep it simple, and it will never fail you. if you have to leave that line of thought, go with what parts you can get. 10/22 would be second choice to me.

my go to 22 is a springfield pre serial'd model 15. its about 100 years old and has a reworked franken-mauser bolt in it, and has been passed down to me through my family.

above all else, it is the one firearm i will never surrender. it will be left to my next of kin when I die.

it will guarantee and HAS guaranteed my survival.

if i need food, its my go-to.

Edited by Ben Vampatella

i was going to add this to my previous post, but decided not to. check it out folks.

you are talking about a survival gun. parts have to be fabricatable, and it mustnt break. right there, you have to have people with guns like yours, if you use the 1022. they will be there, so i am not argueing that.

but...

if i took to the hills tomorrow, with 1k rounds, I would take the one shot trainer i have. it has NEVER failed, and can shoot ANY ammo the same way as any other. 22short all the way to mags. it wasnt made for magnums, but you CAN wedge them in there and fire them just fine. I have even loaded powder nailer blanks in it and fired BB steel down it with excellent effect at close range. dont even go there with tipping the barrel down, you use a tiny piece of toilet paper or tissue to wad the charge off if you must go afield with it.

as for my second? its a close tie between 10/22 stock and my marlin model 60 that is all beat up. the marlin shoots kite string at 50 paces with irons. and tube fed is easier to load new rounds on. reload a mag. this is quicker by far, unless you have 20 mags in hand.

so the secondary, yeh, you guys might win that arguement. I might have to agree on that one, but the initial gun? no, I cannot agree, folks.

springfield model 15 here.

thats a very good point, semi auto 22 firearms seem to be prone to jamming, at least, much more so than with larger rounds. if my life depended on the reliability of a .22 id much rather have a solid single shot than semi auto.

but for range fun i still prefer semi auto.

10/22 are Great Guns

But I really love my Sig 522. Cheap to shoot and very fun.

I have a 50 rd drum. As far as cheap ammo goes, the walmart $18 boxes,

I have better luck with the Federal Rounds than the WInchesters.

The drum is a bit more finicky but fun as heck.

I second the Savage bolt gun. I have one, as well as a factory match grade 10/22. Both are ridiculously accurate. Both go BANG! every time. Either one will fit the bill for you, but if I HAD to pick one. it'd be my 10/22 because of parts availability (I have more than a complete set of parts) and the additional usefulness of a rapid follow up shot.

RugerCF_K1022T.jpgKMKIII817thumbrest.jpg

SV26700_1.jpg

For a 22 handgun, I'd take my Ruger MKIII Hunter. I'm a better shot with it than with any of my other pistols, rimfire or centerfire.

Edited by patriot

I've messed with Ramline 50 rounders, Eagles, Butler Creeks, and of course the factory tens. I've successfully worn out all brands but the Ruger mags so...today I picked up a new Ruger BX-25 to try out. Initially, it seems well built, solid as the factory tens. The feed lips and locking tabs/lugs are steel and they claim the feed angle is improved over other mags. Plus, you can disassemble for cleaning via a couple of Allen screws. As far as the Promag drum goes, my friend built a 10/22 on a Tommygun kit for his wife because she wanted a Tommygun. He bought a drum to complete the look and first time at the range, it would not seat into the weapon. We tried it in mine and same thing. He sent it back to Promag awhile back and hasn't received a new one yet. Anyone else have experience with these drums?

i have the promag 50 rd. drum but have not fired it yet. i got it for a bday present and i noticed right away that i could only get 49 rounds in it. i even unloaded it several times to see if i was loading it wrong. but same results. and it is hard to get seated in mine as well. i have to insert it pretty hard to get it to seat. im hoping i dont have issues, but with the promags i used in the past, im not going to get my hopes up.

i want some of the new ruger mags as well. they look pretty sweet and the fact i can take them apart and clean them is a plus.

As mentioned, the Marlin Mdl 60 is another outstanding semi auto .22. There have been many variations. I'm currently in the middle of restoring an old rusty one I rescued long ago from a barn. It's a "Revelation Model 120" sold by Western Auto Supply back in the early to late 60s. Made by Marlin before they changed a few things like the bbl length and tube capacity. Bead blasted the whole gun then completely disassembled for cleaning. I'm polishing all the Alum parts and bolt carrier, and I think I'm gonna try 'rust bluing" the barrel. Putting it in an ATI Drag stock I bought from a member here. Here's some pics in progress....

post-1293-0-03649100-1310916833_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-37853200-1310916853_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-77323600-1310916873_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-84966800-1310916993_thumb.jpg

I like all my .22 cal weapons. Can't beat em for low cost shooting fun with great accuracy. Popping a string or cutting down a small vine with just the irons is never a problem. Best all round caliber hands down AFAIC. Still have my first .22 I got when I was a little kid. I think I was 7 or 8, then the following Christmas I got my first shotgun. (an H&R single shot 20ga). First one was a Ted Williams semi auto and that gun has always been flawless and a great shooter.

Here's the family so far, not including my old 1890's Atlas .22 that's way back in the back of the safe...

L to Rt... Ted Williams Mdl 37

Marlin Glenfield Mdl 60

Revelation Mdl 120

Wasr .22 AK

Bottom... Ruger 10/22 Krinker Plinker and Ruger Super Single Six -w- 9.5" bbl and extra cyl for magnums.

post-1293-0-60144800-1310917067_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-21223400-1310917077_thumb.jpg

Next on the "WANT" list.... a .22 conversion adapter for my Bushmaster .223 and then maybe the same for the Thompson :super: Then surely I'll be done.....lol.....NOT! Then I want one them Gatlins!

I have a LOT of .22 rifles including the venerable 10/22 and the Savage bolt guns. I prefer the Savage over the 10/22, but that's just my idiosyncracies showing.

The ONE .22 I'd choose over all of the above is my Browning BLR .22. Accurate, reliable as a rock, shoots all .22s except the WMRs and when loaded with .22 lr holds 17 rounds. It's a pretty little thang too.

The Savage bolt gun is great for firing 22 CB Longs. All you hear is the firing pin going "click", and the groundhog dies. Sometimes I can kill 2 before they get the idea and run off.

The Savage bolt gun is great for firing 22 CB Longs. All you hear is the firing pin going "click", and the groundhog dies. Sometimes I can kill 2 before they get the idea and run off.

Ya... but its cooler to do that with the suppressed setup :angel:

Got one last night, just heard the thwack of 38 grains to the side of the head

• Like 1