I just received the Saiga 7.62X39 that I ordered from Arms of America. The add on Gun Broker said that it was a Leigon Model. All lthe Legion models I have seen have the word Leigon stamped on them and they have the dimples. The rifle I received from A of A has the dimples, but isn't marked as a Leigon Model. Additionally it's imported by TGI not RAA. The FFL I used said that he had heard that RAA has lost the import rights for the Saiga. I guess what I need to know is:

1. Should I be concerned about the fact that it's not stamped as a Leigon Model?

2. Has anyone ever heard of TGI out Knoxville, TN?

Thanks in advance for the input....

I think that's right, there are several new importers evidently. The RAA imprint was etched out on mine (like a knurled area), and a new Mercury Arms imprint was applied on the side.

I wouldn't worry if it has CANTA on it . . . and it fires.

I think that's right, there are several new importers evidently. The RAA imprint was etched out on mine (like a knurled area), and a new Mercury Arms imprint was applied on the side.

I wouldn't worry if it has CANTA on it . . . and it fires.

Yeah, mine had an area that was definitely etched out. I am assuming that used to say RAA or something.. I can't remember if it has CANTA on it anywhere. I see that you are in the Ft. Worth area, so am I. Where do you do most of your shooting? I am a member of the Haltom City Rifle and Pistol club. A bit pricey to join, but I really like the facility.

I have 2 a 7.62 Imported by Legion in Florida and a 5.45 imported by Mercury Hermes which is I believe in Kentucky. Both have dimples and both say CANTA on the right side of the receiver. And both also have the Velcro patch marking over the RAA stamping. As far as I know these are all just importers and have nothing to do with the quality of the rifles. Both of mine do also say Legion Izhevsk over the scope mount.

I have 2 a 7.62 Imported by Legion in Florida and a 5.45 imported by Mercury Hermes which is I believe in Kentucky. Both have dimples and both say CANTA on the right side of the receiver. And both also have the Velcro patch marking over the RAA stamping. As far as I know these are all just importers and have nothing to do with the quality of the rifles. Both of mine do also say Legion Izhevsk over the scope mount.

Mines doesn't say Legion on it anywhere and I know several importers are charging more for the Legion model. The price I paid was very much in line with the Legion model. I am also finding out that the Legion models are rumored to have a better barrel on them. I really wont know anything until I get out and shoot this thing.

Well after I got home I need to make a correction. My 7.62 was imported by Legion USA in Hallandale, Fla. does not have the Legion Izhevsk Russia marking on it only my 5.45 imported by Mercury Hermes in Louisville, Ky does. But I believe I read somewhere that Legion USA is the US subsidiary of the Izhevsk plant. Not sure if that is the case hopefully someone who knows for sure will chime in.

You are correct--importers are importers and not manufacturers.

The first Saiga rifle receivers to be marked "Legion Izhevsk Russia" instead of "Made in Russia by Izhmash" were the SGL series of rifles sold by Arsenal of LV, (K-VAR).

Since RAAC lost the contract, (sometime in the last year and a half? ), all kinds of US companies have imported some, and apparently one of those is also called "Legion". And, apparently standard IZ-132s are now carrying the "Legion Izhevsk Russia" mark instead of the older "Made in Russia by Izhmash".. so that further confuses things.

You can't assume a "Legion Saiga" is an SGL anymore.

The first Saiga rifle receivers to be marked "Legion Izhevsk Russia" instead of "Made in Russia by Izhmash" were the SGL series of rifles sold by Arsenal of LV, (K-VAR).

Since RAAC lost the contract, (sometime in the last year and a half? ), all kinds of US companies have imported some, and apparently one of those is also called "Legion". And, apparently standard IZ-132s are now carrying the "Legion Izhevsk Russia" mark instead of the older "Made in Russia by Izhmash".. so that further confuses things.

My 5.45 actually says both and my 7.62 just says made in Russia by Izhmash

Thanks for all the input. I have already ordered a conversion kit from Carolina Shooters Supply so that I can get this thing back to the configuration it was designed to be in. I also included the JTE Performance Power Hammer spring in hopes of getting a smoother trigger pull. This is my first rifle of this kind and I don't exactly know what to expect for accuracy. 2 MOA???.... better... worse?

I finished my conversion tonight. Sorry for the crappy pic but my good camera wasn't charged so I had to use the cell phone camera. Note to self.... Magpul's "Dark Earth" is different than Tapco's "Dark Earth" which is different than CAA's "Dark Earth". My "furniture" doesn't match, but I bet the hogs won't complain too much.... The cheek rest is on it's way.

Saiga1.jpg

TGI is a good importer and so far they have provided excellent warranty service to the one customer that we know of that had an issue.

What is the significance of the CANTA on the receiver ? I have an RAA Saiga that I will start the conversion process on this fall. This is a super interesting rifle and fun to shoot.

Thanks for the info.

Desmond

What the others have been saying. It's actually 'Saiga' spelled out in the Russian (cyrillic) alphabet. For example, the upside down "L" is actually pronounced like our "G". Without digging out the old Russian textbooks, I don't know what they call that letter, but it could be "gamma".

all the current imports that have the etch out were actually intended to be RAA guns/shotguns. when things went wrong the factory was sitting on a bunch of rifles and shotguns with the wrong import mark on them and had to etch them out and re stamp/engrave a import mark.

i saw the Legion USA site while it was up. dont know if its back up yet, but it claimed they were an American based office for the Russian Legion company.

I don't understand why it's so important that it say "Legion". They're all made by the same company and the ones imported by one importer are no better than those imported by another. Maybe warranty service is better from one importer but quality shouldn't be affected.

• 1 month later...

I don't understand why it's so important that it say "Legion". They're all made by the same company and the ones imported by one importer are no better than those imported by another. Maybe warranty service is better from one importer but quality shouldn't be affected.

There is supposed to be a Legion line of all sorts of Izhmash arms that is hand-selected for accuracy and enhancement:

http://www.izhmash.r...ct/legion.shtml

The firearms that come from that line are supposed to have distinct markings that indicate the tighter quality control, special treatment, etc., and those qualities would justify higher costs.

It seems like the import marks of Legion in the U.S. are being confused with the Legion factory marks -- the Legion import marks do not necessarily mean saught-after Legion quality...even if they are marketed that way.

Edited by Koljec