Sons of Guns is back...

Was that an overpressure problem with the Mini-12g?

Looked like a timing issue to me?

kinda ... the root problem was that the outer housing needed to be about 3/8's on an inch longer [w/ corresponding additional length of bolt travel ] to insure proper lock up . you saw what happened when it wasn't properly locked ...

I guess I should have been more specific. It looked to me like it fired out of battery (not locked up) to cause enough pressure to blow the back of the housing off the weapon.

Kinda reminds me of something you told me once. (Prototyping can be a bitch.)

LOL damn skippy . working out well though , we changed direction , taking our root work and moving to a 5.56 rotary design . I expect to fire it for Christmas .

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We build a self contained turret with 360 traverse , 60 degree elevation , target lock and tracking and it's a TOY ? The masterkey , 3 or 4 different versions , been around since the 70's , we do a q

This one quote, just sums up 95% of the people here in a few lines.   "Just enjoy the show and be happy."   From day one, when you mentioned the wrong word, PRO MAG for example, you faced being r

I thought I was the only one who thinks this show is totally ridiculous.Thank God I see someone else out there who sees this travesty for what it is. The Estes rockets, the M-16 they put on the Suburb

Posted Images

kinda ... the root problem was that the outer housing needed to be about 3/8's on an inch longer [w/ corresponding additional length of bolt travel ] to insure proper lock up . you saw what happened when it wasn't properly locked ...

I guess I should have been more specific. It looked to me like it fired out of battery (not locked up) to cause enough pressure to blow the back of the housing off the weapon.

LOL damn skippy . working out well though , we changed direction , taking our root work and moving to a 5.56 rotary design . I expect to fire it for Christmas .

Wouldn't it be cool to take that technology and make a chopped down "sub caliber" version that could be put in a duffle bag and fed by a beta drum?

Would be a very cool tool to have in VIP protection.

Wouldn't it be cool to take that technology and make a chopped down "sub caliber" version that could be put in a duffle bag and fed by a beta drum?

it would be fun , we're trying to do something in response to a DOD tasking that's out there . Win or lose , it's project worth doing .

it would be fun , we're trying to do something in response to a DOD tasking that's out there . Win or lose , it's project worth doing .

Hell, I have all kinds of ideas. I'd really like to see you use your new equipment to make a new AK rear sight base with no sight leaf and non removable gas tube. That would be the cats ass to make a flat top AK.

I'd also like to see an updated AK recever with an abi selector built into it. I know I'll get bashed, but the right side selector need to updated to the 21st century in my opinion.

post-27155-0-17116000-1315499131_thumb.jpg

I was sad that it didn't work out for ya Will, but it was fun to see those 12 rnd stick mags spinnin like that. Maybe make some metal mags with blades, use the 1919 handle bars from Chris' idea and mount it on a motor cycle huh? Good zombie gun maybe? ;)

They showed a semi slowmo angle looking diagonally from the front kinda, you can see all the shells eject at the top of the revolution

The motor just spun the three guns, The trigger guards were removed, and the triggers were actuated by a piece of metal that was angled as a ramp as the guns passed on the bottom side.

From what I saw anyhow.

You guys need to get someone spun up on GIBBS for your VF. : )

haha after you make your millions you should refine and pitch the idea to the military. Imagine how many people could be pinned behind cover with two gatlin 12's set up in cross fire...and how bad ass it would be to be one of the guys on the back of the truck usin 'em ;)

I would hate to be the assistant gunner on a 12g rig. Imagine having to hump ammo boxes of 12g back and forth to a bullet hose like that. Now, if you loaded up a Gatling AK.... almost the same damage with a higher cycling rate...You could pick up all that free Russian surplus shit outta hodgy's bandoleers! Keep up the good work RJF! Hooah!

They showed a semi slowmo angle looking diagonally from the front kinda, you can see all the shells eject at the top of the revolution

The motor just spun the three guns, The trigger guards were removed, and the triggers were actuated by a piece of metal that was angled as a ramp as the guns passed on the bottom side.

From what I saw anyhow.

That's what it was .

Hey Will neat stuff on the show and builds. What I was wondered on the future of you shotgun Gatling system why a bottom feed from a drum? While the mini gun has a fairly elaborate linkless belt system that would be hell to get into the older Gatling guns were a gravity fed mag or a couple of different types of drums (Broadwell or Accles) from the top. Short of a hopper and a shovel one of those type Broadwell style drums might give you a longer run time between reloads. Don't know if gravity would keep up with your cyclic rate.

we went with it up front so we could concentrate on the gun , planned to build in a delinker later . moot now anyway , we shifted to a 5.56 rotary and have completely dropped any plans for a 12g.

its too bad you dropped the 12 gauge. theres something rather awe inspiring about a gauge blast. seeing a ridiculously high rate of fire with that kind of ammunition would be bad ass.

I have wondered if someone could graft the upper part of a 1919 receiver onto a Gatling so it could run cloth belts. The Gatling bolts do go forward and back and if that motion could be coupled to the upper assembly, it would advance the belt, grab a round out and drop it into the Gatling just like a gravity feed would.

If anybody could pull that one off, it would be Will and his crew.

Was that a portable(dewalt or something) battery that runs power to that gatty? If so that is some serious ingenuity... I f'n love the show, when are we gonna see an Mka 1919 build? I'll gladly send u mine!! :-)

yeah it was , a Dewalt . Worked really good .

although I wouldn't buy it, instead of battery power, hence it's a MG per ATF. you can always put a crank on it like the original gatlings had and could sell that to folks that don't have a SOT. granted it would be limited to a small market share, those who has money to burn, or have a good credit rating to borrow it.

I missed it ! Working late , got in for the last 10 minutes . It's strange for me to watch , ya'll are seeing it as it happened , for me it was a couple months ago . What a trip down memory lane though , I can still feel the buttstock of that Lahti as I got behind it for the first time . We fired about 80 rounds out of it that day , had a mixed bag of surplus . Everything from H.E. [kinda underwhelming ] to AP to solid's . With the gun bolted down to the truck , there was really no recoil , just a bit of a push . The 12 g thing that's airing next week ..... There is a LOT to fill ya'll in on with that but it'll have to wait till after the episode airs . Glad ya'll are enjoying , it ain't always fun on our end but it damn sure is interesting . Will

I have to ask, where did you end up finding ammo for that thing? I can't imagine it is very easy to find...nor is it cheap lol. 80 rounds of HE, AP and TP...what fun. Do the guys that come in and do the ultrasound have other ways to NDI parts? Liquid Dye Penatrant or eddy curret testing? I would have been pretty nervous putting that thing back together and firing it after it had been cut up and in pieces for so long...the boys did a great job putting it back together again and very cool to see fire!

Not always fun on your end is an understatement I'm sure, but we sure love to see Red Jackets hard work pay off on air sir.

Charlie found a case of 100 for like $450.00ish . After it was x-ray'd , we had it stress relived and heat treated .

Hey Will,

I will be having the opportunity to shoot a Lahti and am trying to locate ammo for it. Would you be able to send some info my way? Love the show, keep up the good work!

Thanks

Edited by HOG76

Will.....Don't abandon the design of the 12g mini-gun. While it is questionable that such a thing would be effective for military engagements at range, it IS NOT questionable that such a device would be an INCREDIBLY effective countermeasure system to incoming RPG fire, grenades thrown or surface IED sweeping at range. With the way ROE tends to go these days, protection from attack is just as important if not more than the delivery of one.

• Like 1

I missed it ! Working late , got in for the last 10 minutes . It's strange for me to watch , ya'll are seeing it as it happened , for me it was a couple months ago . What a trip down memory lane though , I can still feel the buttstock of that Lahti as I got behind it for the first time . We fired about 80 rounds out of it that day , had a mixed bag of surplus . Everything from H.E. [kinda underwhelming ] to AP to solid's . With the gun bolted down to the truck , there was really no recoil , just a bit of a push . The 12 g thing that's airing next week ..... There is a LOT to fill ya'll in on with that but it'll have to wait till after the episode airs . Glad ya'll are enjoying , it ain't always fun on our end but it damn sure is interesting . Will

I have to ask, where did you end up finding ammo for that thing? I can't imagine it is very easy to find...nor is it cheap lol. 80 rounds of HE, AP and TP...what fun. Do the guys that come in and do the ultrasound have other ways to NDI parts? Liquid Dye Penatrant or eddy curret testing? I would have been pretty nervous putting that thing back together and firing it after it had been cut up and in pieces for so long...the boys did a great job putting it back together again and very cool to see fire!

Not always fun on your end is an understatement I'm sure, but we sure love to see Red Jackets hard work pay off on air sir.

Charlie found a case of 100 for like $450.00ish . After it was x-ray'd , we had it stress relived and heat treated .

Hey Will,

I will be having the opportunity to shoot a Lahti and am trying to locate ammo for it. Would you be able to send some info my way? Love the show, keep up the good work!

Thanks

I don't have a source , Charlie went a Googleing .

Will.....Don't abandon the design of the 12g mini-gun. While it is questionable that such a thing would be effective for military engagements at range, it IS NOT questionable that such a device would be an INCREDIBLY effective countermeasure system to incoming RPG fire, grenades thrown or surface IED sweeping at range. With the way ROE tends to go these days, protection from attack is just as important if not more than the delivery of one.

That's definatly a thought . I'll be at the AUSA conference in Oct. , I'll see if there's any interest in it .

Will I was working late in the shop Wed night and just last night, finally had a chance to watch the show on DVR. It's been hard not to look at this thread the past few days...lol! All I can say is F' n WOW!! Y'all hit it out of the park with that one dude! I'd love to see that puppy up close and also see the damage it could cause with 9 pellet Buck. Was telling Sandi to imagine 9 .32 cal holes, per each one of those big ass slug holes it was punching out. Holy shit it would almost look like a mini-gun tearing shit up! Also love to see it with a 60 rd burst instead of just 36. Understand that wouldn't have fit the "rush" schedule though. Honestly I figured y'all woulda gone with some sort of S-12 gatlin project from the git go.

One thing I was surprised with though, was how well the 12 rd mags (or 10?) managed to keep up with the centrifugal force that had to be exerted on the shell columns with that beast spinning like it was. Did y'all have to increase the mag spring pressure?

Was also thinking those stick mags would have turned into paddles and been batting the ejecting hulls forcibly in one direction...lol!

Killer build man! Would love to see it evolve further someday! And BTW.... those brakes were KICKASS! Gotta have one!