Sons of Guns is back...

Will I was working late in the shop Wed night and just last night, finally had a chance to watch the show on DVR. It's been hard not to look at this thread the past few days...lol! All I can say is F' n WOW!! Y'all hit it out of the park with that one dude! I'd love to see that puppy up close and also see the damage it could cause with 9 pellet Buck. Was telling Sandi to imagine 9 .32 cal holes, per each one of those big ass slug holes it was punching out. Holy shit it would almost look like a mini-gun tearing shit up! Also love to see it with a 60 rd burst instead of just 36. Understand that wouldn't have fit the "rush" schedule though. Honestly I figured y'all woulda gone with some sort of S-12 gatlin project from the git go.

One thing I was surprised with though, was how well the 12 rd mags (or 10?) managed to keep up with the centrifugal force that had to be exerted on the shell columns with that beast spinning like it was. Did y'all have to increase the mag spring pressure?

Was also thinking those stick mags would have turned into paddles and been batting the ejecting hulls forcibly in one direction...lol!

Killer build man! Would love to see it evolve further someday! And BTW.... those brakes were KICKASS! Gotta have one!

it's fun as hell touching it off but like I said above , unless there's a serious interest[money] , the 12's dropped in favor of the 5.56 . The mag's did well , Joe has a rheostat type switch to control rpms , that's handy .

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We build a self contained turret with 360 traverse , 60 degree elevation , target lock and tracking and it's a TOY ? The masterkey , 3 or 4 different versions , been around since the 70's , we do a q

This one quote, just sums up 95% of the people here in a few lines.   "Just enjoy the show and be happy."   From day one, when you mentioned the wrong word, PRO MAG for example, you faced being r

I thought I was the only one who thinks this show is totally ridiculous.Thank God I see someone else out there who sees this travesty for what it is. The Estes rockets, the M-16 they put on the Suburb

Posted Images

Strikes me that such a system would be good for base defense also, though likely a bit out of your scope.

Getting together a decent fire control system to ward off rocket attacks would be difficult to get working under a time crunch. Most systems today use a doppler radar with a very narrow beam width for pinpoint anti-inc, combined with a full spectrum surface search system (ala- 48 r). Because RPG attacks would be happening within 100 yards, a system like that wouldn't be very plausible on its own....supplemented by a drones or AWACS though.....who knows. Would just be a matter of getting POF location, make that data relative to the target and point the countermeasure in its general direction. Shit....a Thermal camera would make an RPG launch light up like a christmas tree and would make POF easy to ascertain.... An EMF variance detection system would be cool...Anyway...just musings. lol.

Strikes me that such a system would be good for base defense also, though likely a bit out of your scope.

Getting together a decent fire control system to ward off rocket attacks would be difficult to get working under a time crunch. Most systems today use a doppler radar with a very narrow beam width for pinpoint anti-inc, combined with a full spectrum surface search system (ala- 48 r). Because RPG attacks would be happening within 100 yards, a system like that wouldn't be very plausible on its own....supplemented by a drones or AWACS though.....who knows. Would just be a matter of getting POF location, make that data relative to the target and point the countermeasure in its general direction. Shit....a Thermal camera would make an RPG launch light up like a christmas tree and would make POF easy to ascertain.... An EMF variance detection system would be cool...Anyway...just musings. lol.

we've developed target recognition software for urban/ground use in conjunction with our remote operating system [ still in R&D , we'll show it when we're ready] . Still , 800 -5000 pellet's flying into a crowd ain't going to be a pretty picture .

we've developed target recognition software for urban/ground use in conjunction with our remote operating system [ still in R&D , we'll show it when we're ready] . Still , 800 -5000 pellet's flying into a crowd ain't going to be a pretty picture .

No, probably not a pretty picture in that case...on the other hand, if they are standing within 20 yards of a vehicle that has an RPG flying its way they are probably seconds away from being a screaming alpha anyway.

The applications for this system would be extremely useful in the air as well. Those 30 or so devgru guys that lost their lives to an RPG in that low flying, slow, navy ch47 last month would have appreciated it. Chaf / Flares won't stop a dumb fire..... 2000 pellets will. They may have to be specialized rounds though...Tungsten pellets maybe for more penetration. Now you're not just selling the system, you're also selling the rounds for it. Revenue, I love America.

Edited by Warpike

No, probably not a pretty picture in that case...on the other hand, if they are standing within 20 yards of a vehicle that has an RPG flying its way they are probably seconds away from being a screaming alpha anyway.

The applications for this system would be extremely useful in the air as well. Those 30 or so devgru guys that lost their lives to an RPG in that low flying, slow, navy ch47 last month would have appreciated it. Chaf / Flares won't stop a dumb fire..... 2000 pellets will. They may have to be specialized rounds though...Tungsten pellets maybe for more penetration. Now you're not just selling the system, you're also selling the rounds for it. Revenue, I love America.

You make a good point . Like I say , I'll be at AUSA in Oct, , I have meetings scheduled with some interesting people . I'll see what they think , end of the day , unless someone at SOCOM Command wants to sponsor it , it ain't going to happen . Will

They showed a semi slowmo angle looking diagonally from the front kinda, you can see all the shells eject at the top of the revolution

The motor just spun the three guns, The trigger guards were removed, and the triggers were actuated by a piece of metal that was angled as a ramp as the guns passed on the bottom side.

From what I saw anyhow.

That's what it was .

My ideas is kinda outside the box of normal thinking on a mag fed gattling gun. No centrifical force involved in the weapon system, the guns don't rotate.

It's really quite simple.

Instead of the guns rotating, you have a gear driven rotating collar around the triggers with a cam lobe inside. As the collar rotates, the cam lobe trips the triggers.

It could be adapted to almost any mag fed weapon system also.

Oorrr, you could just go with a solenoid actuated trigger system.

:2c:

Edited by ARMOR

hey will, on one of the most recent episodes of SOG i believe i saw an MP40 on your wall. have you considered featuring that or an STG44 on your show?

id be ecstatic to see you and your crew spend some time working with an STG44. i bet alot of other people would really enjoy that too

(amidst all the caution on Sept 11.....this tidbit....for your amusement)

Associated Press report

"......Flight 623 originated in San Diego before stopping at Denver International Airport on its way to Detroit. The FBI said that the North American Aerospace Defense Command scrambled F-16 fighter jets to shadow the plane "out of an abundance of caution." In Dallas, FBI official Kevin Gentry said a rented moving truck parked at the Dallas-Fort Worth airport caused a brief scare in an area where troops returning from Middle East stints are greeted. Investigators were suspicious because the driver, a crew member of the Discovery Channel show "Sons of Guns," said, "I got a couple of guns," but Gentry says he was just waiting for a co-worker."

• Like 1

WOW awesome show tonight. That 57mm cannon was really sweet. Did you fire all the shells you guys put together on that day? You know if he keeps making the explosions bigger and bigger the people at the international space station are going to be able to see them from orbit.

• Like 1

Mrs. Dual has been pretending to not watch the show all season, once she realized there was a "personal issues" sub-plot being developed. She's the nominally politically pro-gun type, who hates them personally, because my collection represent time, money, and attention that's not spent on her. rolleyes.gif

Anyway, when that particular sub-plot came to a head on the latest show to air, she was all full of opinions and things she wanted to say. I brought up this thread on my laptop, pointed, and said, "Well, dear... the man's right here if you want to say something."

She got embarrassed and declined to post anything. 021.gif

Completely free, and with no effort at all on his part, Will and RJF has given me something priceless. The last word, if only for a little while. 000.gif

• Like 2

I hear dat! It's what makes the world (and revolving guns) go round! Good luck and can't wait to see the 5.56! :)

It's a few months out , still , should have it somewhere in season 3 [starts filming Oct. 10th]

Glad to hear there will be a season Three! and Oct 10th just so happens to be my birthday. couldnt wish for a better present.....unless of course you wanted to send me one of your beautiful AK's :angel:

love the show. thank you and keep up the good work

Um, it's called a CIWS.

20mm six-barreled gatling gun with search and pencil-beam radar, the 1Bravo has a thermal camera and thermal recognition tracking as well...

We've successfully used them in Iraq against incoming artillery. It didn't take out 100% of aerial threats but that's probably because of the high rate of fire (1500 rounds per minute) coupled with it's somewhat low ammo capacity (1000-1500 rounds).

Was just chatting with a guest at work (I work hospitality in anchorage alaska) and mentioned getting a custom gun worked up from a shop down in LA. "Oh, Red Jacket?" "Heh, no, Clark's custom guns. I'm after a 10/22, I already have my saigas the way I like 'em."

Amusing to see how successful Sons of Guns is.

Man, my local cable didn't air the new season for months after I seen everyone posting about it.

Watched the Tromix episode, and then also saw the Quad MG show. Went to watch the rest and all are already removed??? Last two are the only ones still viewable :ded:

Watched the Lahti (we used to have one.....the concusion is worse than the recoil :unsure: ) and the 40mm grenade.

Love the show, just wish our cable provider was better about airing/deleting them.

I liked that Flem dude the first time he walked into Will's shop last season....knew he was a talent. Respect continues into this season....Flem is one talented/gifted individual....big respect. All the guys are equally good, but Flem is the one that stands-out to me. Dude knows his sh*t :smoke:

I need to head down there sometime and blow some sh*T up w/ Will and the crew....I'll bring some Missouri Hillbilly moonshine :lolol:

Um, it's called a CIWS.

20mm six-barreled gatling gun with search and pencil-beam radar, the 1Bravo has a thermal camera and thermal recognition tracking as well...

We've successfully used them in Iraq against incoming artillery. It didn't take out 100% of aerial threats but that's probably because of the high rate of fire (1500 rounds per minute) coupled with it's somewhat low ammo capacity (1000-1500 rounds).

Ummm...Yeah...I was an FC (1147 like your picture / CWIS / and other more nefarious NEC's) before getting out in 06. I actually used CWIS in B1B format for spotting when Nato lost it's cyclops camera to something completely retarded happening on the tower. But I digress......CWIS has limitations concerning what I mentioned. A) If you can mount it on a helicopter you are mounting it on something out of the movie Avatar. It weighs upwards of 15 tons just in the pedastal. b: CWIS is either Pneumatic or Hydraulic Driven to keep up it's insane RoF, which means pumps and more pumps C) The Xmitter is sitting on top of the weapon along with all it's periphs and also requires another search radar to get a target bearing....anyway...the thing is not what we are talking about.

A 12g minigun like the one they had dreamed up would be light weight, portable and capable of providing point defense on any number of vehicles. Ever squirt a can of WD-40 into all six barrels before a demo shoot on Tiger Cruise? Light show.

Edited by Warpike

hey will, is there any possibility you could mention the STG44 on your show? practically everyone knows about the AK47, but likely fewer people know where the design initially came from

German MP43 8mm Kurz

000298_01.jpg

000298_03.jpg

000298_04.jpg

000298_02.jpg

• Like 1

Personally, I prefer the episodes where Will and the guys build something new and innovative, and have little interest in seeing them waste their time with old, obsolete rifles like the above. *yawn*

Just mho, but I think I'm in the majority.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

hey will, is there any possibility you could mention the STG44 on your show? practically everyone knows about the AK47, but likely fewer people know where the design initially came from

(emphasis mine)

Btw, M. Kalashnikov would slap the taste outta your mouth for suggesting this. :D

that is absolutely beautiful. i want to buy one, although id prefer it chambered in 7.62x39 rather than the 8mm kurz

The wood grip panels on that gun are replacements....the originals had a bullet hole through them (and the metal pistol grip frame underneath the grips) :unsure:

(emphasis mine)

Btw, M. Kalashnikov would slap the taste outta your mouth for suggesting this. :D

true, Kalashnikov would be irate to hear someone made that assumption, so i suppose i agree with you to the extent that i shouldnt jump to conclusions like that. i wouldnt know if he based his design off the STG44 or not. but you have to admit, there is one hell of a resemblance between the two rifles.

that is absolutely beautiful. i want to buy one, although id prefer it chambered in 7.62x39 rather than the 8mm kurz

The wood grip panels on that gun are replacements....the originals had a bullet hole through them (and the metal pistol grip frame underneath the grips) :unsure:

geez man, really? thats kinda eerie. i bet that rifle is incredibly valuable though.

id be happy with a reproduction model. an actual piece of history is way beyond my price range

000298_02.jpg

One thing you always have to give the Germans, they sure know how to over complicate things.

Most of the gee-gaws and ridges you see on the StG44's receiver are just stamping marks to increase the strength and rigidity of the parts. They have nothing to do with the level of complexity, or lack there-of on the internal workings or fire-control group.

The MP40 had lots of similar ridges on it for the same reason when it was designed as a lightened and simplified sheet metal replacement for the MP38.

Edited by AJ Dual