Sons of Guns is back...

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We build a self contained turret with 360 traverse , 60 degree elevation , target lock and tracking and it's a TOY ? The masterkey , 3 or 4 different versions , been around since the 70's , we do a q

This one quote, just sums up 95% of the people here in a few lines.   "Just enjoy the show and be happy."   From day one, when you mentioned the wrong word, PRO MAG for example, you faced being r

I thought I was the only one who thinks this show is totally ridiculous.Thank God I see someone else out there who sees this travesty for what it is. The Estes rockets, the M-16 they put on the Suburb

Posted Images

Will, I would love to have my Saiga-12 converted by you guys. I am retiring at the end of the month and would like to give myself a little retirement gift. Hell, I would even drive down to pick it up just to get a chance to meet you guys. Have you guys ever been to Knob Creek?

Edited by gmgreen
  • 2 weeks later...

I watched it(American Guns). On one episode, the guy buys $40,000 worth of assorted firearms. After touching the three S-12's in the corner he says, "dont know much about these." I changed the channel.

Ill never cheat on Sons of Guns again!!! Sorry Will. Just getting anxious waiting for the next season.

Edited by fataleffekt

The episode this week was awsome!!! So much time has passed from when I saw the previous episode, I was not sure if some of the story line was going to continue, such as the saga with Kris's crush on Stephanie. At first, I didn't know what to think about this until my wife asked about it during this week's episode. Once there was even a slight hint that this saga was going to be continuing, my wife sat and watched the show with me. Absolutely brilliant!! I watch the show for the engineering aspects of it and now my wife watches it for the more soap apera aspects. This additional story line may have increase the target audience a little bit. I honestly can't tell anymore what is staged and what is real because this show has progressed to the point of oscar level, but it is fun to watch and now my wife watches it with me.

As for "American Gun," I don't think this show would have been possible without Son of Gun. I don't think that watching American Gun is in some way cheeting on Son of Gun due to the fact that they are both on the same channel. The success of Son of Gun has made it obvious that people like to see shows about guns so there will likey be even more shows like these comming out in the future.

As far as Son of Guns goes, it's unique and will likely always be the top ranking gun show because the pioneers always are and everyone else will continue to play catch up.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I missed the Thanksgiving Day special , it was the Top 10 ? We filmed 3 specials in the last month , hell , hard to keep up with them . I did hear one interesting tidbit from a new producer the other day . He was flipped out because us making a gun [that they where filming] was interfering with his filming schedule . Said he'd done all the reality shows , never ran into such bullshit . everybody else has a side crew that does that work for them . lol , ain't that some shit ? think we'll keep doing it our way ;) some of the shit they film and the way they put it togather may irk me but at least it's an honest effort . oh yeah , some kid on this board was pissing about the way I talk to my "best" mechanic , dude , if you see this . They've never aired my best "mechanic" . he works over in the custom shop . Unless you meant Joe , and I really don't think I've ever spoken harsh to him . He's a increadibly talented and self motivated guy .

This is one of the few reality shows that keeps my interest episode to episode. Hopefully they won't feel the need to keep advancing the firepower each season - just for the sake of "gotta be bigger than last season". I have no desire to see 2 aircraft carriers welded together in season 16.

Most reality shows have to suffer through the same process. Producer comes up with a great topic for a show - then finds an interesting group of characters in that field and pitches a show to the network. Then they go in and have to follow the same basic template that the network expects from all its shows. Add to that the fact that the producer has a story to tell each episode that typically can't be told with the footage naturally shot. So they "sum up" all the key points made by one of the "cast" in the past couple days into a written 20 second soundbite Then have the guy read it - as many times as it takes to do it with out any of the natural "umms"s, etc. - and expect it to come off naturally. In some shows, that can neuter all the interesting personalities that made the show interesting in the first place. Or the subjects face criticism for being "fake" or "bad actors" - when they had absolutely no intention of having to "act" when signing on. You also have branding issues to contend with ("Hey Padma, can you say that again under the Kitchenaid logo?"), drama added ("can you get more angry about that" .... "how about a prank war", etc.), or creative liberties taken like showing a mirror image of a shot because it synchs better with the previous shot.

None of that will change because the network has a winning formula that they want to follow regardless of the topic. But you can read between the lines when watching the show and filter all of that out. With this show, when you strip away all the BS, there is still a lot of interesting meat left to enjoy. With other shows, like Gold Rush Alaska, there's nothing left behind once you eliminate all the producer "inspired" storytelling.

Looking forward to December 7th. (they should have let the guys do a custom job on location in Hawaii if they were going to premiere on the 70th anniversary of Pearl Harbor)

I missed the Thanksgiving Day special , it was the Top 10 ? We filmed 3 specials in the last month , hell , hard to keep up with them . I did hear one interesting tidbit from a new producer the other day . He was flipped out because us making a gun [that they where filming] was interfering with his filming schedule . Said he'd done all the reality shows , never ran into such bullshit . everybody else has a side crew that does that work for them . lol , ain't that some shit ? think we'll keep doing it our way wink.png some of the shit they film and the way they put it togather may irk me but at least it's an honest effort . oh yeah , some kid on this board was pissing about the way I talk to my "best" mechanic , dude , if you see this . They've never aired my best "mechanic" . he works over in the custom shop . Unless you meant Joe , and I really don't think I've ever spoken harsh to him . He's a increadibly talented and self motivated guy .

He must have been doing shows on the Food Network

• 2 weeks later...

Great Show Will and I noticed you have a picture in your office of the Great Avtomat Kalashnikova... ( AWESOME )

I pointed that out to my wife when I saw that. Appears to be some sort of commemorative plaque. Maybe Will will chime in with the details on that.

• Like 1

Great Show Will and I noticed you have a picture in your office of the Great Avtomat Kalashnikova... ( AWESOME )

I pointed that out to my wife when I saw that. Appears to be some sort of commemorative plaque. Maybe Will will chime in with the details on that.

That would be cool....

Anyone happen to see the last episode of american guns. The wife on the show is showing off this ar-15 sbr, she says "it has a 12" barrel which means you guys can't own it, we can't even sell it you need a class 3 license."bad_smile.gif

Edited by roachtron

Meh, RJF has been able to switch FFL's before, and I'm sure they'll do it again.

I doubt this will be the end of them.

If that's even what's going on. Rumors, half-truths, and every story has at least two sides to it. Best thing to do is just stay calm, and focus on not saying or doing anything that shows your own ass. And let the folks who are actually involved sort things out for themselves.

Edited by AJ Dual

^

wtf are you talking about

there is a "rumor" that the "business" made a change of hands at some point.. there was supposedly an issue with records.. and the business was "relaunched" with a different individual named as the "owner". none of which was really a problem.. but now there is discussion that the new "owner" wants to possibly explore a different direction.. since he is the "owner" and I guess named indiviidual for FFL reasons.. it has created an issue..

but again that is all second hand hear say information I have heard..

I have no first hand information..

I am NOT into "gossiping" but that is the discussion.. I have heard slightly more detail than that.. but I prefer to be intentionaly vague since the information is all second.. third.. fourth.. and one hundreth hand..