Sons of Guns is back...

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We build a self contained turret with 360 traverse , 60 degree elevation , target lock and tracking and it's a TOY ? The masterkey , 3 or 4 different versions , been around since the 70's , we do a q

This one quote, just sums up 95% of the people here in a few lines.   "Just enjoy the show and be happy."   From day one, when you mentioned the wrong word, PRO MAG for example, you faced being r

I thought I was the only one who thinks this show is totally ridiculous.Thank God I see someone else out there who sees this travesty for what it is. The Estes rockets, the M-16 they put on the Suburb

Posted Images

^

wtf are you talking about

there is a "rumor" that the "business" made a change of hands at some point.. there was supposedly an issue with records.. and the business was "relaunched" with a different individual named as the "owner". none of which was really a problem.. but now there is discussion that the new "owner" wants to possibly explore a different direction.. since he is the "owner" and I guess named indiviidual for FFL reasons.. it has created an issue..

but again that is all second hand hear say information I have heard..

I have no first hand information..

I am NOT into "gossiping" but that is the discussion.. I have heard slightly more detail than that.. but I prefer to be intentionaly vague since the information is all second.. third.. fourth.. and one hundreth hand..

Could be related to this. Made the news here over the weekend.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/12/23/sons-of-guns-atf-william-hayden-firearms/#.TvkRIVZVWSo

'Sons of Guns' Stars Punished By the Feds for MAJOR Firearms Violations

Eh, the whole "FFL" thing was just posted on another forum I frequent. A lot of folks there don't care for SOG, so a lot of "I wish the FCC would revoke them from the Air! blah blah blah" comments were made.

The bottomline to me is that any "information" obtained from TMZ should not be used as the end all be all of truth, laugh.png.

Keep up the good work Will. While some folks of the firearm community might not support you, I think you're doing a good thing for us!

Edited by CFOofEVIL
  • 3 weeks later...

while I get that it is "just a TV show" I don't get the following....

at the start of the show vince appears to question the ability kris has in completing the AR..

vince is told the AR is not his project and to work on what he has to work on... basically told to mind his own business..

kris fails at assembling a piston driven AR15... which without being rude.. I really don't get..

vince then does not help kris and focuses on his projects.. as he was told to..

then vince gets punished for not doing the AR that he was told not to focus on...

Edited by vladtepes
  • Like 3

then vince gets punished for not doing the AR that he was told not to focus on...

Yeah...I don't know if it's just the way they edit it, but the show does not make it look like Will treats Vince well. None of us were surprised at Vince's response in the last episode.

Of course, how much of that is scripted for the season finale is a fun debate. This last season the show seemed to run a very traditional, 3 act story arc--complete with universal and well-timed cliffhanger endings.

• Like 1

it's either a scripted soap opera, or Will is making managing error after managing error. Putting a nubie on a "this must work because it's for the DOD" project is downright dumb. using the justification that it's a soap opera doesn't cut it because Will is allowing himself to be shown in a very bad light with potential customers.

Is he going to let a nubie work on a rifle that I pay top dollar for to be built? I guess my previous link with the misaligned flash hider has already answered that.

Time to focus more on building and less on drama. The TV show will only be around for a few seasons. Your reputation is forever.

• Like 1

TV show or not.. I would not let my "shop" be portrayed in such a ridiculous light.. the entire place appears to be a circus.. just remember the SHOP has to support itself after the novelty of the SHOW wears off.. and while several years ago I viewed RJ as a premier builder... one that was above the rest.. now the show portrays the whole operation as some mess.. unable to build an AR15.. losing parts.. come on.. why would anyone allow themselves to be shown in such an absurd way..

you might be selling the show.. but you are certainly not building confidence in the business..

• Like 3

Nothing like what seems to be the typical approach to celebrity (build them up and then tear them down). God forbid someone makes a 'TV SHOW' that may appeal to the masses, rather than a narrowcasted instructional video. As many may not agree with everything that happens at Red Jacket in TV land it's still kind of shocking these people can't separate the two. IT'S A TV SHOW!!! They are after ratings just like every other program in their time slot. Why not try and be happy for Will and his success instead of hating on every little nuance that doesn't appeal to your "high moral standards". Every one of you nonsensical critics would jump at the chance of a TV show and national exposure for your company. Get a grip. Take from the show what you enjoy and be happy that a fellow brother in arms is getting this great opportunity.

S.O.G. is great. Keep it going Will.

Nothing like what seems to be the typical approach to celebrity (build them up and then tear them down). God forbid someone makes a 'TV SHOW' that may appeal to the masses, rather than a narrowcasted instructional video. As many may not agree with everything that happens at Red Jacket in TV land it's still kind of shocking these people can't separate the two. IT'S A TV SHOW!!! They are after ratings just like every other program in their time slot. Why not try and be happy for Will and his success instead of hating on every little nuance that doesn't appeal to your "high moral standards". Every one of you nonsensical critics would jump at the chance of a TV show and national exposure for your company. Get a grip. Take from the show what you enjoy and be happy that a fellow brother in arms is getting this great opportunity.

S.O.G. is great. Keep it going Will.

I have on more than one occasion defended Will.. not that I am anyone.. or my opinion even matters..

I have on many occasions stated what you did.. it is just a TV show..

but then there are other things that have happened that actually happened.. in real life.. which are hard to ignore..

and just to add.. there is a difference between "putting on a show" and being made to look incompetent.. I am all for putting on a show..

Edited by vladtepes

I have on more than one occasion defended Will.. not that I am anyone.. or my opinion even matters..

I have on many occasions stated what you did.. it is just a TV show..

but then there are other things that have happened that actually happened.. in real life.. which are hard to ignore..

and just to add.. there is a difference between "putting on a show" and being made to look incompetent.. I am all for putting on a show..

You do not represent the "masses". You are one of the few that may understand guns or know the history of RJ. That being said. You should still be able to understand the disconnect you are having with the show. No matter what happens to RJ "IRL", they still have a show to do.That show is still on TV competing with other shows. You should also be able to understand that being on TV wouldn't cause Will or any his trusted staff to lose their ability to develop or manufacture quality firearms. This is a TV SHOW.

Well, if I the business fails he'll at least have the money from the network...

I'd guess Will isn't breaking the bank with network TV money. He's prolly getting a nice little check. But I'll bet the business exposure is what's paying the bills.

• Like 1

I would have to think that the average watcher of that show probably wouldn't end up purchasing a firearm from them, anyway. I know quite a few people who watch it just because they like it, and certainly have no intention of purchasing from them. WE, on the other hand, who have had some interaction with Will, or have read his posts here and who know and understand that RJF is a quality builder, more than likely WOULD purchase from them if we had the funds and the want to buy something that they produce. I really don't think the show makes them look incompetent, and I would hope that anyone who watches the show and who KNOWS both firearms and hollywood's propensity for drama would be able to see the show for what it is.

• Like 1

Blowing stuff up... time crunches to complete builds.. putting together exotic builds "just because".. even a little drama here and there with some of their personal lives.. I get it... in the name of TV.... but when you get to the point of when things are not being taken care of properly.. and there are explosions over petty nonsense.. and extensive childish bickering.. that is where I just shake my head.. sure it is just TV.. I get that.. I am not a child.. but that does not mean things are perfect in the real world.. I am not a worker there.. I do not know Will personally.. I am simply saying.. you can make the show.. you can have some TV candy.. without the looking like such a train wreck.. that's all..

no big deal.. not my show or shop.. totally willing to simply agree to disagree..

• Like 1

My thing is if they didn't do things that make them look like they can't do certain things, like put together parts and make an ar15, then they couldn't show that. You can't edit things that didn't happen. Sure you can edit things that did happen to make them look worse but if you did "it" you did it. Also I'm waiting on "Sons Of Guns Will VS Vince"

random question.

I don't know much about AR's, but aren't there a lot of piston guns out there? Guns by companies that are much larger and who specialize in ARs. How is the RJ AR any different? It looks to me like it was all off-the-shelf parts as far as the "magical" gas system goes. Milling your own lower doesn't make your AR the best.

And about getting a DOD contract....um, ok, say the gov decides that the RJ AR is somehow better than ALL the other piston ARs in the world. Then they say "we love it, we wannt 2 million of them in 60 days." Hows that gonna work?

I'm not trying to put down their work, cuz its good, I'm just trying to make sense of the situations. And a small "mom and pop" shop with a handfull of smiths can't possibly put out enough to satiate the ultra-high volumes of government contracts. Seems obvious, yet the show makes it sound like a no-brainer.

Edited by AtlSaiga

random question.

I don't know much about AR's, but aren't there a lot of piston guns out there? Guns by companies that are much larger and who specialize in ARs. How is the RJ AR any different? It looks to me like it was all off-the-shelf parts as far as the "magical" gas system goes. Milling your own lower doesn't make your AR the best.

And about getting a DOD contract....um, ok, say the gov decides that the RJ AR is somehow better than ALL the other piston ARs in the world. Then they say "we love it, we wannt 2 million of them in 60 days." Hows that gonna work?

I'm not trying to put down their work, cuz its good, I'm just trying to make sense of the situations. And a small "mom and pop" shop with a handfull of smiths can't possibly put out enough to satiate the ultra-high volumes of government contracts. Seems obvious, yet the show makes it sound like a no-brainer.

2 million in 60 days is a highly unrealistic demand even for Colt. They'll probably take about 18 months to decide how many they need and then another 18 months to determine when they need them, when it comes to the government, you can count on the fact that they won't be getting in any big hurries...lol!

random question.

I wondered the same thing..... Why would the government take chances on an unknown when there are plenty of very well established gun manufacturers who have put hundreds or thousands of rounds down the pipe and spent millions of dollars on R&D. I am just throwing this out there and I know there are a lot of other options but, HK416, talk about a great AR style rifle.

I wondered the same thing..... Why would the government take chances on an unknown when there are plenty of very well established gun manufacturers who have put hundreds or thousands of rounds down the pipe and spent millions of dollars on R&D. I am just throwing this out there and I know there are a lot of other options but, HK416, talk about a great AR style rifle.

Maybe RJ has proposed to convert the contractors gas guns to pistons? Showing that they could accomplish the conversion with successful results would save the contractor some upfront cost... Again, it's just a TV show. Your question could be just as valid as asking why "The Fonze" wore a leather jacket all the time, even in the summer heat. Who knows?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...