Sons of Guns is back...

... neighborhood of accuracy with the original Russian chromed barrel.

Frankly, I'd rather buy a couple different Saiga .308 builds that Red Jacket has been offering for awhile, (long before the show), but maybe that's just me.

Still, I like the show and you guys do a great job down in LA, Will! :super:

Hmmm.. How many moa rifles of any make and type use chrome lined barrels? The very process of chroming the chamber and bore produces irregularities that high quality barrels never have.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We build a self contained turret with 360 traverse , 60 degree elevation , target lock and tracking and it's a TOY ? The masterkey , 3 or 4 different versions , been around since the 70's , we do a q

This one quote, just sums up 95% of the people here in a few lines.   "Just enjoy the show and be happy."   From day one, when you mentioned the wrong word, PRO MAG for example, you faced being r

I thought I was the only one who thinks this show is totally ridiculous.Thank God I see someone else out there who sees this travesty for what it is. The Estes rockets, the M-16 they put on the Suburb

Posted Images

not sure if it was answered and missed the last minute or two.. how far did it actually shoot?

1000 yards . That target set up was a bitch , all you could see was an inch of head sticking up over the top of the car . First rounds was to clear a path [bullet defected to the right shoulder . Second round was on target in the Adam's apple [just a little showing off ;) . We were actually out there shooting from about 9 am till damn near dark .

while shooting "stuff" is "fun" did you put any rounds on paper... I understand and appreciate the build.. but just curious about the actual performance of that round in the rifle that you guys built at such a far distance.. what kind of actual accuracy you were getting..

and by the way.. you were right about hanging in there.. so far BOTH episodes this season were decent can't wait to see the rest of the episodes....

I record every episode. It is about time we had a pro-2nd Amendment show. One better than "Pawn Stars" at that.

The actor that played Tony did a hell of a job. He acted just like him. What other movies has he played in?

Edited by Crusader
  • Like 1

I'm not saying the show or the builds are bad, However putting a Saiga 12 under the barrel of an m16 is morally wrong, i mean seriously you guys should be ashamed of yourselves, its useless and pathetic, the worlds first 15+ pound AR 15 is so full of fail.

but i don't hold sons of guns ultimately responsible, we all know sometimes we have to make money in ways we're not necessarily proud of,

but never could i have imagined LEO's actually buying it. The fact that these guys pass high school is a testament to how far the american public education system has fallen. its like we have small children with authority over us ( Mentally definitely not physically). and the big whales in the LE "community" i have no idea what they are planning to use those things for, its like they are gearing up for war on the american citizen. that or they're just compensating for how pathetically fat they are. they don't even qualify for a sweeping job much less combat. if they get shot they'll pop like a water balloon filled with animal fat. if they jogged for than 200 yards with at LBE on and their 20 pound tacticool M16SAIGA frankenguns they would literally go into congestive heart failure at 26. and if they ever have a job that goes beyond murdering people in their homes or writing traffic tickets they will be found severely wanting. these officers can't even manage their own bodies with respect and self control how can they then manage their communities in like kind?, they need to resign or be forced to resign. I fear for my country when i see disgraces like that being touted as our best and brightest, i sure hope that isn't true.

oh and 10 bucks says the first they they do is load up an MD 20, hahhahaha

What possible scenario is a fully automatic AR-15 rifle not enough??

Every Day that I pray for my country is a day I'm thoroughly disappointed

"EDIT" i do have a lot of respect almost all of the officers i have personally met and some of them have went beyond what there charge is and are individuals worthy of high levels of respect, but then you have the bottom of the barrel and they are large and in charge and they're a growing percentage, to them they are worthy of the same respect you give to a rabid dog, healthy but without valor

Edited by Joebanks
  • Like 1

I'm not saying the show or the builds are bad, However putting a Saiga 12 under the barrel of an m16 is morally wrong, i mean seriously you guys should be ashamed of yourselves, its useless and pathetic, the worlds first 15+ pound AR 15 is so full of fail.

but i don't hold sons of guns ultimately responsible, we all know sometimes we have to make money in ways we're not necessarily proud of,

but never could i have imagined LEO's actually buying it. The fact that these guys pass high school is a testament to how far the american public education system has fallen. its like we have small children with authority over us ( Mentally definitely not physically). and the big whales in the LE "community" i have no idea what they are planning to use those things for, its like they are gearing up for war on the american citizen. that or they're just compensating for how pathetically fat they are. they don't even qualify for a sweeping job much less combat. if they get shot they'll pop like a water balloon filled with animal fat. if they jogged for than 200 yards with at LBE on and their 20 pound tacticool M16SAIGA frankenguns they would literally go into congestive heart failure at 26. and if they ever have a job that goes beyond murdering people in their homes or writing traffic tickets they will be found severely wanting. these officers can't even manage their own bodies with respect and self control how can they then manage their communities in like kind?, they need to resign or be forced to resign. I fear for my country when i see disgraces like that being touted as our best and brightest, i sure hope that isn't true.

oh and 10 bucks says the first they they do is load up an MD 20, hahhahaha

What possible scenario is a fully automatic AR-15 rifle not enough??

Every Day that I pray for my country is a day I'm thoroughly disappointed

I thought they were quite clear on why they did it. It expedites the time for the first man into a building to tranistion from his door breach to his defensive weapon.

• Like 1

If your primary weapon weighs 20+ pounds, you've got an uncontrollable nightmare or a range toy

And keyless entry? why do you need a semi auto mag fed shotgun for 2- 3 bolts or one lock? they allready have much lighter and equally effective keyless entry systems made from pump action designs, na this is intended for tacticool/ combat 12 purposes and quite honestly its sad,

but it wont matter, most of the people they will be "fighting" are unarmed individuals,

Oh and i love how a fully auto m16 with a DOOR BREACHER under the barrel is somehow a defensive weapon? how about getting LE's some defensive frag grenades or nerve gas grenades with an under the barrel launcher, for defensive purposes of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khyZI3RK2lE&feature=player_detailpage

LE's final solution to the defensive problem

Edited by Joebanks

If your primary weapon weighs 20+ pounds, you've got an uncontrollable nightmare or a range toy

And keyless entry? why do you need a semi auto mag fed shotgun for 2- 3 bolts or one lock? they allready have much lighter and equally effective keyless entry systems made from pump action designs, na this is intended for tacticool/ combat 12 purposes and quite honestly its sad,

but it wont matter, most of the people they will be "fighting" are unarmed individuals,

Oh and i love how a fully auto m16 with a DOOR BREACHER under the barrel is somehow a defensive weapon? how about getting LE's some defensive frag grenades or nerve gas grenades with an under the barrel launcher, for defensive purposes of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l6Q8Q1smwg&feature=player_detailpage

Just enjoy the show and be happy.

Next week they combine motor cycle parts with that of a belt fed machine gun. The handle bars are also the trigger mechanism. What are you going to do then? It might be too much for you to bare.

Just enjoy the show and be happy.

Next week they combine motor cycle parts with that of a belt fed machine gun. The handle bars are also the trigger mechanism. What are you going to do then? It might be too much for you to bare.

i have NO PROBLEM with fun gun builds, as long a LEs are running and gunning citizens with them i'm cool with it, and our military operators should have whatever they want/need no matter how wonky, its a battle field let em have what makes em feel good. but cops are citizens dealing with citizens and they need to behave accordingly

Edited by Joebanks
  • Like 1

Specifications (M16A2)

Weight 7.8 lb (3.5 kg) (unloaded)

8.79 lb (4.0 kg) (loaded)

Length 39.625 in (1,010 mm)

Barrel length 20 in (508 mm)

Weight 3.6 kg (7 lb 15 oz) (Saiga-12, Saiga-12S)

3.5 kg (7 lb 11 oz) (Saiga-12K, Saiga-12S EXP-01)

Length 1,145 mm (3 ft 9.1 in) (Saiga-12)

1,060 mm (3 ft 6 in) stock extended / 820 mm (2 ft 8 in) stock folded (Saiga-12S)

910 mm (3 ft 0 in) stock extended / 670 mm (2 ft 2 in) stock folded (Saiga-12K, Saiga-12S EXP-01)

Barrel length 580 mm (1 ft 11 in) (Saiga-12, Saiga-12S)

430 mm (1 ft 5 in) (Saiga-12K, Saiga-12S EXP-01)

Height 190 mm (7.5 in)

Considering the removal of the stock and shortening of the barrel....probably close to 15

Will...did you weigh that? Should be managable

Specifications (M16A2)

1,060 mm (3 ft 6 in) stock extended / 820 mm (2 ft 8 in) stock folded (Saiga-12S)

910 mm (3 ft 0 in) stock extended / 670 mm (2 ft 2 in) stock folded (Saiga-12K, Saiga-12S EXP-01)

Height 190 mm (7.5 in)

Considering the removal of the stock and shortening of the barrel....probably close to 15

this is a good post, im glad to you into account for the optics, and the rail mount they added to the top of the saiga will weigh more than the hollow plastic stock. oh and the gun is completely unbalanced as you have a 7+ pound loaded shotgun on the front of your gun.

loaded m16= 9 pounds

optic= 1+ pound

Flash light= 1 pound or so depending on style and mount

Saiga 12 loaded with aluminum top rail and mount (will mount weigh more than the stock) around 8 pounds loaded

9+8= 17, that' just the base unit with optic 18, with optic and flashlight 19

if that sounds controllable i've got a test, strap a 8 pound sand bag to the end of your gun and hold it up for 30 seconds trying to aim, then come and discuss

i just did it to my rifle with only 5 pounds at the same point that the mastery keys weight was, the gun was unbearable, if it was 6-8 pounds it would be a total joke

Edited by Joebanks
  • Like 1

"EDIT" i do have a lot of respect almost all of the officers i have personally met and some of them have went beyond what there charge is and are individuals worthy of high levels of respect, but then you have the bottom of the barrel and they are large and in charge and they're a growing percentage, to them they are worthy of the same respect you give to a rabid dog, healthy but without valor

I guess that could be said for the forum members here as a group also...

Specifications (M16A2)

Height 190 mm (7.5 in)

this is a good post, im glad to you into account for the optics, and the rail mount they added to the top of the saiga will weigh more than the hollow plastic stock. oh and the gun is completely unbalanced as you have a 7+ pound loaded shotgun on the front of your gun.

loaded m16= 9 pounds

optic= 1+ pound

Flash light= 1 pound or so depending on style and mount

Saiga 12 loaded with aluminum top rail and mount (will mount weigh more than the stock) around 8 pounds loaded

9+8= 17, that' just the base unit with optic 18, with optic and flashlight 19

if that sounds controllable i've got a test, strap a 8 pound sand bag to the end of your gun and hold it up for 30 seconds trying to aim, then come and discuss

i just did it to my rifle with only 5 pounds at the same point that the mastery keys weight was, the gun was unbearable, if it was 6-8 pounds it would be a total joke

True.....may be a bit "front" heavy

I'll have to try that on one of my rifles

Lot of MasterKey questions , guess they showed a rerun , let's see , weighs close to 20 lb's with both loaded . It has one use in the world , opening door's and shooting anyone on the other side . Having went through about 3 dozen doors with it , it does that very well . I can't think of anything else I'd use it for , then again , that's all it was built to do so I wont be losing any sleep over it .

• Like 3

"Y'know, it really seems as though the people who produce the show are at least slightly anti-gun, the way they imply that Saiga-12s are some kind of mysterious animal that most citizens have no business owning; the only customers shown are there for NFA items or are completely ignorant and couldn't be trusted with a .22LR without some instruction, much less a 12-ga anything. The implication is that only specially licensed individuals have any business in the shop at all, and when some fool happens by, that's supposed to represent most of society.

In the last episode, the Saiga 12 was referred to as a "combat shotgun". This is a gun that is imported specifically as a sporting arm. It is not a "combat shotgun". No anti-gun bias influencing that arbitrary choice of term, right? :rolleyes:

Maybe not, but it seems suspect. Something to think about."

Yep, I picked up on that last season, selling the program is given priority over things like a pro gun theme, or common sense.

Estes powered rocket launchers.... really? I bought that book at a gun show back in the 1980s, when I was still laden with more testosterone than brains. I will admit there is nothing like getting some "Black Powder face blast" on..:angel: And to violate every rule of the Model Rocket Association...Just make sure not to pass on a shogun shell/nail fusing system on to Al Quaeda :osama: Or the Guvmint may come looking for aiding and abetting terrorists and the like :cryss:

Frankly, its was, and is becoming more "Jerry Springer for the low IQ gun owning crowd":ph34r: (See also "BUBBA" and how the term is used to represent white, gun owning, America) than it is a hard core show dedicated to true gun enthusiasts.

I think I will stick more to the "Military" channel, and its more reality based fodder, which doesn't carry some hidden "Hollywood" agenda.

Though I do admit I would like to see a "Gangsta" episode, where younze all have to wear black do rags to sell a anti po po, no knock raid, front door defense system to some brother in the hood.

"FO SHIZZLE SNOOP, when Homey the cop smash him big, azz ram on you front do', his azz gets capped with not twenny, not thirty, but fitty, get dat, FITTY AK's all gwin off AT ONCE!"

Of course that may be selling your soul to the devil that hates you, or, perhaps thats already happened?

I thought I was the only one who thinks this show is totally ridiculous.Thank God I see someone else out there who sees this travesty for what it is. The Estes rockets, the M-16 they put on the Suburban controlled with a game controller, the master key, the list goes on an on. Anyone who knows anything about real military and law enforcement weapons knows that these toys they create are for the uniformed masses. If you like the show for it's entertainment and fake drama then so be it. I can only think that this show will do for Red Jacket what it did for OCC, It will make Will rich in the short term but they will become a joke in the industry and lose all credibility in the long term. Look at OCC they are in bankruptcy and no one but no one buys their bikes anymore.

We build a self contained turret with 360 traverse , 60 degree elevation , target lock and tracking and it's a TOY ? The masterkey , 3 or 4 different versions , been around since the 70's , we do a quick detach version using a Saiga . Nothing earth shattering but it's a nice bit of machining . But since we did it , it's a TOY ? We put together a launching unit that will put 15 rocket's inside a 25 yrd circle , each with enough concussive force to put you on your ass using components and construction methods in a way that keep it from putting everyone who touches it in jail and it's a TOY ? Well , ok , maybe that one , but it's a damn cool toy that damn well did it's job . We build solid firearms and we back them up . We've been doing this for over 10 years and will continue to do so . How that's going to destroy our credibility I don't know , guess I'm not the marketing genius you are . If you don't like the show , whatever , there's enough copycat's in the works that I'm sure you'll find one with a bland enough crew that you wont have to worry about "drama" . Enjoy

I say they are toys because these platforms you are building have been built before but in a much better and robust way.

M-16 Turret Really so you are going to go into a combat environment with a turret mounted M-16 fed by a beta mag! No armor plating, no belt fed gun, and a M-16 barrel that won't hold up to full auto for any reasonable time to lay down suppressive fire. There are drop in turrets built by government contractors for this exact purpose and none of them employ a M-16 and a beta mag, think 50 cal. belt fed, hell I have seen the presidents motor cade has a pop up turret that has two belt fed .50 cals. Every system I have ever seen has some type of armor plate, and they sure don't use a plexiglass dome, one lucky shot and this whole system you created comes crashing down quickly.

The Master Key A Saiga mounted on the bottom of a picatinny quad rail of an M-16. Really, is that going to hold up to recoil over time? I highly doubt it, hell half the crap we bolt on to these guns works itself loose over time. The engineer in me is skeptical that the picatinny rail system is capable of holding up to the recoil forces that a 12 gauge produces. Sure it will last a while most things do, but long term.....skeptical.

Rocket system Estes powered rockets to scare the Somali Pirates! Come on Will, you should know you never pull a gun unless you are going to use it in deadly force. So what happens when the Pirates see the Estes rockets coming? They flee in fear, hell no they pull out their RPG and drill your ass. Hell they took hostages and ran from our special forces for days before they executed everyone. They aren't playing games and to suggest that the system you designed is going to be put into a potential combat situation is disingenuous at best!

I could go on and on weapon by weapon, but whats the point? I guess my whole point in this and the other post is this, that if the premise of your show was to see what you can build for the fun of it then great! But that isn't what is being purported, these platforms are being portrayed as if they are being deployed by government agencies and contractors in some of the worst hell holes on the planet. Anyone who knows anything combat weapons systems knows that exhaustive testing and R&D is done because the last thing you want to happen is to put our soldiers in more jeopardy because of an unreliable weapons system. If the rest of the uniformed masses wants to drink your Kool-Aid and think that what they are seeing is the real deal then W.C. Fields was right! " There is a sucker born every minute"

Last big problem with the show, and it really has nothing to do with you or the show specifically. I think this draws unwanted attention to both the gun industry in general and the Class 3 weapons specifically. Every Liberal who hates guns is going to be calling their Congressman to complaint that you can walk into a gun shop and buy a Full auto, suppressors, and SBR/SBS's. Your show has never addressed what it really takes to own these weapons and has just mentioned in passing about filling in some paperwork. I own a whole lot of class 3 weapons and is a slow and frustrating hobby.

Good luck on your show, as entertainment it has value as long as you portray it as that.

• Like 1

Rogers, you asked about the scope on that thing. It "looked" to be a CounterSniper brand. Sportsman's Guide sells them. IIRC, SG claims that they are an actual piece of military hardware that is sold to the public when they have a manufacturing overrun. I am far from an expert on it, so I don't know that for a fact. It's just what info SG shows on their site. (IF it is in fact a CounterSniper brand scope.) HTH,

I say they are toys because these platforms you are building have been built before but in a much better and robust way.

M-16 Turret Really so you are going to go into a combat environment with a turret mounted M-16 fed by a beta mag! No armor plating, no belt fed gun, and a M-16 barrel that won't hold up to full auto for any reasonable time to lay down suppressive fire. There are drop in turrets built by government contractors for this exact purpose and none of them employ a M-16 and a beta mag, think 50 cal. belt fed, hell I have seen the presidents motor cade has a pop up turret that has two belt fed .50 cals. Every system I have ever seen has some type of armor plate, and they sure don't use a plexiglass dome, one lucky shot and this whole system you created comes crashing down quickly.

The Master Key A Saiga mounted on the bottom of a picatinny quad rail of an M-16. Really, is that going to hold up to recoil over time? I highly doubt it, hell half the crap we bolt on to these guns works itself loose over time. The engineer in me is skeptical that the picatinny rail system is capable of holding up to the recoil forces that a 12 gauge produces. Sure it will last a while most things do, but long term.....skeptical.

Rocket system Estes powered rockets to scare the Somali Pirates! Come on Will, you should know you never pull a gun unless you are going to use it in deadly force. So what happens when the Pirates see the Estes rockets coming? They flee in fear, hell no they pull out their RPG and drill your ass. Hell they took hostages and ran from our special forces for days before they executed everyone. They aren't playing games and to suggest that the system you designed is going to be put into a potential combat situation is disingenuous at best!

I could go on and on weapon by weapon, but whats the point? I guess my whole point in this and the other post is this, that if the premise of your show was to see what you can build for the fun of it then great! But that isn't what is being purported, these platforms are being portrayed as if they are being deployed by government agencies and contractors in some of the worst hell holes on the planet. Anyone who knows anything combat weapons systems knows that exhaustive testing and R&D is done because the last thing you want to happen is to put our soldiers in more jeopardy because of an unreliable weapons system. If the rest of the uniformed masses wants to drink your Kool-Aid and think that what they are seeing is the real deal then W.C. Fields was right! " There is a sucker born every minute"

Last big problem with the show, and it really has nothing to do with you or the show specifically. I think this draws unwanted attention to both the gun industry in general and the Class 3 weapons specifically. Every Liberal who hates guns is going to be calling their Congressman to complaint that you can walk into a gun shop and buy a Full auto, suppressors, and SBR/SBS's. Your show has never addressed what it really takes to own these weapons and has just mentioned in passing about filling in some paperwork. I own a whole lot of class 3 weapons and is a slow and frustrating hobby.

Good luck on your show, as entertainment it has value as long as you portray it as that.

apples to apples man . No shit they have turret's available , all of which require substantial substructure and dedicated vehicles to support them . What was ordered and what was built was a light weight [70lb] remote operated set-up that would use a M-16 [of which they have plenty and doesn't require a lot of suport ]that would drop on the top of any vehicle "as-is" . It does indeed need a ceramic shell , and that was noted on-air . Not that it's of interest to you , but we are working on a larger version [ turns out our targeting system is of great interest to the powers that be ] that will accommodate both a 5.56 SAW and .50 as well as another "drop-on" version that uses 2 or 4 M16's .

Masterkey's are holding up well , thanks .

No one has ever confused "less than lethal" with "lethal" . Any idea what ensues after a shooting incident in territorial water's ? The idea is to [hopefully] avoid that through the use of airborne flashbang's/ C/S that are legal to both transport and use in all the worlds water's . Most ship owner' would rather avoid the incident if possible . Yes , we are aware of those new things called "firearms" for when lethal force is unavoidable . As far your last paragraph , we're converting lefty's at a rate which the NRA would kill for [ or maybe not , since they would need a new job if they actually won] . THe NFA process is covered , albeit in pieces , rather then whole cloth , every episode were it comes up . Getting even that much done from network was a major battle and required us having the ATF explain to them just how vital that information is . They did it poorly up front , we saw what they were doing and began raising hell . THey get better at it as episodes go by . I'm sorry , but they will never do a full hour on the NFA process . We do have a "F.A.Q." page on our website that covers the process . IF there's more that I can do to cover it , I'd be happy to hear it .

• Like 5
We do have a "F.A.Q." page on our website that covers the process . IF there's more that I can do to cover it , I'd be happy to hear it .

Perhaps suggest that discovory have a legal FAQ on the SOG page. Maybe do it as a 30 minute webisode.. They have similar videos for other shows, and it would help reinforce the educational aspect that discovery is supposed to have.

• Like 2
We do have a "F.A.Q." page on our website that covers the process . IF there's more that I can do to cover it , I'd be happy to hear it .

Perhaps suggest that discovory have a legal FAQ on the SOG page. Maybe do it as a 30 minute webisode.. They have similar videos for other shows, and it would help reinforce the educational aspect that discovery is supposed to have.

Now that ain't bad at all . I'll run it up to them . Thanks CS , Will

Or even have the little note on the bottom of the screen with tidbits of information about NFA every time you guys mention something Title 2. Like how Federal Background checks are required, cost of stamp, time of wait, and clean record required. That alone could clear up any confusion.

They already do this with other shows, it wouldn't be too hard to add in a little bit of text. And it could be a CYA since not everyone is going to get online to read about it.

I'm glad to see the "This is cool, but we're LICENSED to do this and blow shit up, don't YOU try it" part in the show. There's always some dumbass out there who'll say "Hold my beer and watch THIS!"

Your crew ROCKS, Will. Keep up the good work and tell Discovery I said you need a raise. :dollar:

• Like 1

How about talking Discovery into a contest.....

Trip to the shop?.......win a custom gun?

OR

A weapon raffle and proceeds go to a charity?

"Win a custom gun"... and receive it on the show.

apples to apples man . No shit they have turret's available , all of which require substantial substructure and dedicated vehicles to support them . What was ordered and what was built was a light weight [70lb] remote operated set-up that would use a M-16 [of which they have plenty and doesn't require a lot of support ]that would drop on the top of any vehicle "as-is" . It does indeed need a ceramic shell , and that was noted on-air . Not that it's of interest to you , but we are working on a larger version [ turns out our targeting system is of great interest to the powers that be ] that will accommodate both a 5.56 SAW and .50 as well as another "drop-on" version that uses 2 or 4 M16's .

Master key's are holding up well , thanks .

No one has ever confused "less than lethal" with "lethal" . Any idea what ensues after a shooting incident in territorial water's ? The idea is to [hopefully] avoid that through the use of airborne flashbang's/ C/S that are legal to both transport and use in all the worlds water's . Most ship owner' would rather avoid the incident if possible . Yes , we are aware of those new things called "firearms" for when lethal force is unavoidable . As far your last paragraph , we're converting lefty's at a rate which the NRA would kill for [ or maybe not , since they would need a new job if they actually won] . The NFA process is covered , albeit in pieces , rather then whole cloth , every episode were it comes up . Getting even that much done from network was a major battle and required us having the ATF explain to them just how vital that information is . They did it poorly up front , we saw what they were doing and began raising hell . They get better at it as episodes go by . I'm sorry , but they will never do a full hour on the NFA process . We do have a "F.A.Q." page on our website that covers the process . IF there's more that I can do to cover it , I'd be happy to hear it .

Will, I admire your patients with the detractors and your responses are on point. However, I am sure you know that someone is always going to find fault with something.

Keep up the good work...

• Like 3