Which Eotech for my saiga 12?

Hey guys im pretty set on putting an Eotech on my saiga 12, I really dont care if its a used one or brand new one aslong as its in nice condition. My question is since there are so many different models such as 552,516,etc,etc..What are the main difference in all of them and which would be the best choice for the S12? I will be using the gun mostly for in the woods type deer hunting and man drives..Most shots up to 50 yards max!

Hey guys im pretty set on putting an Eotech on my saiga 12, I really dont care if its a used one or brand new one aslong as its in nice condition. My question is since there are so many different models such as 552,516,etc,etc..What are the main difference in all of them and which would be the best choice for the S12? I will be using the gun mostly for in the woods type deer hunting and man drives..Most shots up to 50 yards max!

the main diffrences in models are batteries and night vision compatability . i think most of the 55 series take the smaller more expensive batteries like yhe cr2v and such ,and have a shorter life span than the 512 and simaler models which take double a ,s and have a 1100 hour life span . if you dont intend on wearing a night vision set up , theres no need to spend the extra money for it . i have a 512 on mine with a 3x magnifier and have been very happy with it . its the easyiest thing ever to sight in and turns shooting clays into somwhat of a video game . whichever you choose you cant go wrong . by the way the 3x mag is only really needed for 100 yard sight in with slugs . i doubt ill even bring it along next season . also if youre putting it on a extended rail youll need to play around with locating it where it wont interfere with ejections . about a third of the way back on the carrier is where i have mine .

I would vote for the 512 which I also own, it will do everything you need..

I use the 512 on a few rifles as well and love it. Keep in mind it is for fast target acquisition and not long range accuracy but for the 12 don't need to worry about that anyway :super:

• Like 1

I would vote for the 512 which I also own, it will do everything you need..

I use the 512 on a few rifles as well and love it. Keep in mind it is for fast target acquisition and not long range accuracy but for the 12 don't need to worry about that anyway :super:

Thanks guys..Im gona set my eyes on a 512...I know its not magnified,so about how far is it accurate? I dont expect it to be dead nuts at 150 yards,but if a deer jumped out at 50-75 yards would the 512 do the job? I dont want to spend the money to add a magnifier..Thanks for the advice!

as someone who has run an eo tech (552) on an S12.. I'd consider a different solution all together...

if you are using a side rail mount, I have a friend who had ejection issues due to shell hitting the sight.

I have one on a chaos rail and it is a bit high.. you will want something that rides closer to the rail.. like a burris fastfire 2 or aimpoint micro...

My 552 works great with my Troy folding tritium sights. If you don't use Night Vision equipment the 51X series are less expensive. The troy sights line up at the same height as the Eotech's, unless it happens to be a model with the 7mm raised base. My 552 doesn't have it.

post-21372-0-89742200-1310787464_thumb.jpg

My 552 works great with my Troy folding tritium sights. If you don't use Night Vision equipment the 51X series are less expensive. The troy sights line up at the same height as the Eotech's, unless it happens to be a model with the 7mm raised base. My 552 doesn't have it.

That's the whole deal with the EOTech and AR Back Up Iron Sights. The EOTechs were originally designed for ARs and that is why they co-witness the irons like that. Like Juggernaut said though, they can sit pretty damn high on a S12 so if you do not mind them that high, go for it. I prefer to be down on the buttstock with a good cheekweld so I run an Aimpoint Comp M2 in a low mount on a Chaos extended rail with Chaos HK sights. They co-witness fine and since I run a Magpul stock with a .75" cheek riser, I get the cheekweld I desire

Back to the EOTechs, we ran the 552s on our duty weapons which were GUU-5Ps before we got M4s. A GUU-5P is essentially a M-16A2 with a M4 barrel but full auto instead of burst. Since the GUU has a fixed carry handle, our 552s were mounted ahead of the carry handle on a KAC RAS so the HWS was directly above the barrel and gas system which gets hot. I've read they are not tolerant to heat but we never experienced heat related malfunctions with prolonged firing. There was also an issue with older AA battery model EOTechs involving recoil and the battery box. Newer AA models have had that issue resolved. The knobbed "tool less" mounting is weak at best. Use a tool to torque it down or use a different mounting system. I had a torqued down EOTech come off, thankfully during a pre-deployment live fire range session and not in the field.

I have no problem running EOTechs on a M4 as they were designed for but for other applications such as the AK platform, I prefer the Aimpoints as different mounts allow different mounting heights which you cannot do with the EOTech.

Sorry for the threadjack. Hope some of this helps you out. Good luck!

Edited by MT Predator
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a EOTech EXPS3-2 mounted on a rail that is attached at the front and rear iron sights. This red dot has a circle and 2 red dots. The lower dot can be used for compensation for slug drop at longer distances. I mainly shoot Remington Slugger 2 3/4" 1oz slugs with surprising accuracy at 50 and 100 yards. On a regular basis I can get 4" groups at 50 yards with this setup. I highly recommend this or any EOTech Red Dot sight. The main difference between the different models is really going to come down to personal preference. I like that the EXPS line only require one battery that is transversely inserted and this shortens the length of the unit thus saving space on the rail. I'd say I think you'd be happy with any EOTech REd Dot. Oh, and, I rarely use the second dot so I'd recommend sticking to a model that just has one dot.

post-29103-0-01879500-1311824554_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...